3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   June Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/296407-june-chat.html)

Shannonsnail 06-23-2014 10:07 AM

Carol Sue, definitely a lesson learned. I'm sure the super high number was tied tightly to the fact I had not eaten in a while and ate nothing of substance with the sugary items but it scared the crap out if me! I looked online and that number is outside the range allowed for diabetics so I was way off the chart. I do think by eating less carbs like I do most of the time my body is becoming even more sensitive to their effects. I have heard others say the same (higher spikes when they go off plan than they used to get). Either way I think it was a good lesson. I was dizzy and did not feel well. After that we ate dinner (I had a low carb salad with grilled chicken) and it dropped from 190 to 84 within about an hour, that actually made me feel bad too...more dizziness and lethargic. So, the glucose swinging up and down was not enjoyable. I've been back on plan since.

We spent most of the weekend continuing to deal with my car. We are almost $1K into repairs and the AC is still not right, it is back in the shop again. We are really regretting not trading my car in (and by we I mean my hubby since it was his decision and I was actually in favor of trading mine and keeping his, lol).

Yesterday was Olivia's birthday but since her party is next Saturday we just let her open presents and cards, have a friend over to play and then took the friend to dinner. She is at a half day cooking camp at the YMCA this week. It will be another 6 weeks before she is gone in the mornings again so I will be busy running errands and cleaning house this week to catch up from the last month of preschool being out.

This week makes 3 months of trying to get healthier. I hit a new low today and have lost 28 lbs!

Wannabehealthy 06-23-2014 10:17 AM

Good job on the 28 lbs! That is a great loss for 3 months. And dropping your BS back to the 80s is good too, even though it made you feel dizzy. I believe it was not the 84 that made you feel bad, because that is a great reading, but it was probably the rapid drop.

I had never heard of being more sensitive to carbs after cutting back. Maybe that's why the ADA tells us to eat 45 gm per meal. I could do that when I was first diagnosed, but could never do it now.

I am back down to 193. I could feel that I had lost. We didn't have dinner last night and I just had some fried eggs. Got hungry later and ate some veggies. I want to continue down and get into the 180s instead of going back up again!

Wannabehealthy 06-23-2014 11:03 AM

I have added another veggie to my diet. Grilled hearts of romaine. I saw a recipe for this and it looked so good! I cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise with the core on. I spray the 2 halves with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the grill pan, place romaine cut side down and grill, checking frequently. You want it to get singed and have grill marks. I press down on it to spread it out to get the singe on as much of it as possible. Take it off the pan, cut off the core and chop it into bite size pieces. Drizzle with a little blue cheese dressing with a sprinkling of bacon bits. The olive oil and salt and pepper really is enough seasoning, so I only had a very small amount of the dressing. I don't eat a lot of salads because I prefer warm food, so this is a little warm and suits my tastes just fine.

Another thing I want to try is cooked leeks. I have used them in place of chopped onions, but over the weekend Martha Stewart cooked them as a vegetable. I will have to research the recipe because I don't remember the whole thing, but she started out by sauteing the who leeks slowly in some olive oil until lightly browned and soft. I can't remember what she did with them after that, but I'm going to try to find out! They looked good.

Shannonsnail 06-23-2014 12:53 PM

Mmm, those sound good! I am hoping to try a new zucchini dish this week, supposed to taste like the fried apples at cracker barrel

Wannabehealthy 06-23-2014 01:55 PM

I saw that recipe online, but I have never had the fried apples at Cracker Barrel. Sounds good, though!

That reminds me of back in the 60's there was a Mock Apple Pie recipe made with Ritz Crackers. DHs mother made it and didn't tell them what it was. They were eating it and it TASTED like apple pie, but when she told them it was not apples but Ritz Crackers, they all wanted to throw up! LOL I always threaten him with making that.

dgramie 06-23-2014 05:56 PM

Fbs was 94 this morning. I have had a really good day. My clear liquid diet starts tommorow. I am dreading the test prep but just want it behind me. Praying for answers on why my stomach hurts so much.
I have a ladies meeting at church tonight and have no clue what the meal will be. I hate not knowing or how to plan my calories. So today I have eaten really lite all day.

Shannonsnail 06-24-2014 09:00 AM

Good luck with your test prep dgramie! You could always take a snack with you tonight just in case you need it. I have found I can avoid whatever carbs are in a meal elsewhere but might need just a little something extra to go with whatever part of the meal I am eating. Nuts are usually my standby.

FBS was 101 yesterday and 95 today. Weight is holding in the 182 area.

Tonight I am making two new dishes. The faux fried apples I mentioned and a cauliflower casserole (I am debating between a "loaded" one with bacon or a smoke gouda one). Hopefully the steaks I have out will thaw in time and hubby can grill those up.

Olivia really liked camp yesterday and was excited to go today in her swimsuit since they are swimming this morning. I didn't get much done yesterday but did do a big walmart run last night. Between cooking breakfast and lunch, not getting much done with this extra time!

Wannabehealthy 06-24-2014 09:38 AM

dgramie, I don't recall you having stomach pains. I thought you were going in for a lumpectemy. This is probably TMI, but the last prep I had to do was for my colostomy reversal. Imagine going through the prep while wearing a colostomy bag. LOL I just took a book into the bathroom with me for the duration.

Shannon, both of the cauliflower casseroles sound good. Have you made them before or will this be the first time? I finally bought a head of cauliflower and I'm going to make cauliflower rice and freeze it in portion packages. I hope I don't screw it up. I rarely buy fresh cauliflower. I went into Aldi's and it was $2.79 and I thought that was too much, until I went into 2 other grocery stores and it was $3.99. So back to Aldi's! I'm wondering if I have to dry it out before I freeze it.

182 was my all time (long time) low that I'm trying to get back to as a short term goal, but it's turning into a long term goal. That was when all my nice pants fit me well. I don't know if that will be the case when I get there again because my abdominal muscles have weakened so much after surgery. 5 inches of my 20 lb gain was in my belly. I guess that's what body shapers are for.

Shannonsnail 06-24-2014 10:31 AM

Carol Sue, I've done mashed cauli and cauli rice but this will be the first baked type dish with it. At my Aldi cauli is $1.99 :-) my favorite cauli rice is when I cook it with a little heavy whipping cream and cheese....it comes out like a risotto almost. It's a very forgiving veggie, I don't think you can ruin it.

dgramie 06-24-2014 12:49 PM

Carol sue - colonospcy is routine. I had one a few yrs back and had polyps so time for a repeat. Doing the scope because I do have stomach pain a lot. Breast lump surgery is July 7. Hoping this will give me a clean bill of health.
Pray my potassium is up to normal or all this prep will be useless torture.
Fbs was 99 today.

Wannabehealthy 06-25-2014 12:09 PM

dgramie, I hope all your tests come out fine.

I wanted to check in but I don't have much to say. I am in the middle of highlighting my hair and I'm waiting for the color to develop.

See ya later!

Shannonsnail 06-25-2014 01:43 PM

Dinner last night was great! Both the sides I made were good and the cauli recipe was phenomenal! I had the leftovers just now and wish there were more! I had hardly any sleep last night. Drank too much caffeine and was up late. Then the dog and hubby were both loud so I ended up on the floor in the hall where I slept for just over 4 hours before Olivia woke. I was not very productive while she was at camp today and we are down to two more days. I will likely have to go retrieve my car from the shop on one of those days and since it's 40 min away that will take up a whole camp session....yikes, time got away from me this week. I still have a giant to do list. Oh well.... I was so tired this morning I forgot to check my FBS.

Wannabehealthy 06-26-2014 07:06 AM

Shannon, which cauli recipe did you make? Are you going to share the recipe? I still haven't "riced" my cauliflower and I used half of it to make a recipe DH wanted, but I'll get to it.

Before bed my BS was 98 and it was 147 this morning. :?: I didn't eat anything before bed, but I was coughing a bit during the night and took a cough drop. They are "sugar free" but I don't know about a carb count. I also didn't sleep well.

My highlights turned out nice. I never know what I'm going to end up with because I can never remember what I did last time. LOL I don't have a lot of gray, but the highlights camoflauge the ones I have.

I dropped off my blood work script at the Dr office for him to add thyroid to it and will pick it up this afternoon. This morning I have to go for an Echocardiogram at 10:15. I hope it doesn't show any changes from last time.

Nothing else scheduled for today, so I will probably come home and clean so I don't have to do it over the weekend.

Shannonsnail 06-26-2014 01:28 PM

Carol Sue, how was tbe echo? Here is the cauli recipe, it is so good!! http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/11...a-cauliflower/

Last night I did an experiment. I made my regular spaghetti with run of the mill pasta and tested at 1 and 2 hours and got 99 and 103 respectively. I didn't test after that bc it didn't seem to be rising high enough for me to think I should check. I did eat a sugar free snack later. My FBS was 103. So, I think my particular sauce and pasta combo is safe for me. I was hoping that might be the case bc all the substitutes I've tried have been less than optimal (though edible). Do you think my assumption sounds ok? We eat spaghetti about once a week. I'm thinking I can just eat it the way I normally do (with shredded cheese, no bread) and just test each time. As long as it stays the way it was last night I think it will be ok.

When I stay in my plan my weight typically drops a little each day with a loss of 1.5-3 lbs by end of week. This week I've been 100% on plan and the scale isn't budging and it's gone up a bit. I've been on my cycle so maybe it's that. I decided to pick up lunch today. I got a grilled chicken salad but one with more fruit than I normally get. I just wanted sonething with more carbs. I'm feeling frustrated with the scale. At any rate I will test in 2 hrs just to make sure it wasn't too much.

Wannabehealthy 06-26-2014 01:52 PM

The echo went fine. Sometimes the tech will make comments, but this one didn't. I always have to wait until the doctor reviews it, anyway. Actually, we spend the whole time discussing her upcoming wedding. LOL She was excited and I think she just wanted to talk about it.

I would continue to eat that sauce and pasta combo but continue to test up to 3 hours afterwards. If you continue to be able to eat it without getting a spike, go for it! I notice I don't get as high a spike with pasta as I do bread. For me, bread is like eating a cup of sugar with a spoon!

I wouldn't be concerned about the stall on the scale. You have been losing good and your body is adjusting to that loss. I wouldn't change anything. You are sticking to plan very well and you will continue to lose.