Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #76  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quiet in here this weekend. I hope it's because we are all having fun.

BGL is 4.3 this morning but weight is up bigtime. I suspect it was the baked beans yesterday. They didn't taste too salty but ... They are now in single serving size freezer containers and will be joining their buddies in The Stash. I wonder if I am now over-sensitive to salt since I've been cutting way back on it.

We have a parish celebration at our Church this morning to kick off our 200th anniversary. Of course there will be a "lunch" afterwards but I will be serving so can avoid that and have something when I get home. I feel I need to be really pure today as I have a doctor appointment tomorrow to discuss med changes.

I'm learning to navigate the potholes in the road of life.!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #77  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default tired and busy

Yes, Ruth, have not been posting since we have been quite busy. I am going to take a nap in a few minutes. Haven't been to yoga or for a trail walk this weekend, too busy with work, and tho the afternoon is sunny, its cold (-22 C) and I am needing sleep right now. Scale dipping below ticker, we will see if that lasts.
I had the joy of being midwife to a dear young woman, was my daughter's best friend growing up, so I am like a 2nd mum to her, and think of her as my own too. Lovely birth, beautiful little girl, husband lovely and great thru her nice delivery. But am I tired out. (maybe not compared to them, LOL)
DH is going to cook a nice fish supper and DD will make salad, so will stay on plan today.
Have a good day, and hope your doc appt goes well Ruth.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #78  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted in this thread; but I did read your posts, so I was following along. The temps have really fallen here this weekend -- down to -35 C last night and on the way to -30 C right now. I hate these really low dips; I just feel so chilled and it stings my legs. I don't mind the snow though ...

I do a lot of reading in the wintertime, esp in the evenings. I come in here almost every day or EOD, if my PC is working OK. I answer emails one day in between though; and sometimes that takes up a lot of time. Have been eating good this week; happy about that ...

RUTH ~ sorry the scale is acting up on you; I have to watch the salt too. I made bean soup this week and we had Ham for dinner last night; so we had something different tonight to lessen the salt intake. I don't add salt to the food now (not more than a pinch, I'd say). Someone said drinking water helps flush the salt for us; hope that's true as I've been trying that trick but not sure if it works or not -- I suppose it can't hurt anyways.

TRISH ~ glad the doc appts went well for you and DH ...

MAD ~ get some rest ...

I'm gonna wrap myself up in my queen-size "thick" fleece blanket to keep warm; and then do some more reading tonight -- it's the best thing to do when it's so cold outside. Just relaxing at home this weekend; DH says you can't stay outdoors more than a few minutes and you're freezing ...

Keep warm, Chickies. Hope you all have a great week coming up too ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-23-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #79  
Madeleine

Ah Rosebud, good to hear from you, and I know about the cold, we were a bit warmer but the cold was biting nevertheless. Brr. I think even if the salt makes you retain a bit of fluid, the good hearty warm soups and just the thing for the winter cold. I really enjoyed my celeriac soup I made the other day. Warmed me to the bones.
Early to be tonight, so won't chat long. ttfn
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #80  
Come on Spring!

Today is doctor day and I just saw 202 on the scale! So discouraging. However, BGL is 4.2 so I do have something going for me. If I drink lots of water, do you think I can be at 140 by 2 PM this afternoon?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie Thanks for the morning chuckle... you are so cute. Hope your doc appt goes well.

DH has doc appt this morning to get results of Friday's CT scan/blood work and are supposed to learn the treatment for his situation. He told us it is treatable. What I read on-line (not sure how much to trust on-line) the treatment doesn't work. However, RN who worked with heart patients in ICU for quite some time said told me yesterday at church that they can insert a filter to filter out any clots that might form and if they suggest that treatment to us for us to do it. So I am praying that God will give us the best treatment for DH situation.

Rosebud So good to hear from you when you can stop by. Miss you when you can't.

Mad That is so sweet that you got to midwife for the woman who is close to you and DD. I know that was a sweet experience for you.

My FBS seems to be more stable and coming down more slowly but that is fine with me. It appears that WW is working for my GLC and the weight will follow I'm sure. May need to tweak what I'm eating a little more. I found a book at Walmart that is put out by Reader's Digest called Reverse Diabetes. It has some good info in it. Found another called The World's Best Power Foods and it show some of the vitamins and benefits of those foods.

Well better run. Got to be sure DH is up as we have to leave soon,

Y'all have a great Monday and stay warm and safe.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Back from the docs office with DH. It seems that the blood problem is not severe and is treated with Folic Acid and his D is evidently severely low as he gave him a a prescription for 1 g of Folic acid to take once a day which he started taking Friday and he gave him a prescription for 50,000 mcg of D which he is to take only 1 a week. He said that all the aches and pains that Tony complains about should go away when the D takes affect. I told Tony that I hope I can keep up with him when he starts feeling better.

The CT Scan shows that everything was about the same as the last one last year. However, when I read it, I was glad to see that the lymph glands that were swollen seemed to have shrunk. I have been thanking God ever since we left the docs office.

This has turned out to be a great day for me. Y'all of a great one too.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #83  
Come on Spring!

Patty, so glad to read the good news about Tony. You both must be extremely relieved. Vitamin D is turning into the next miracle drug. I take extra in the winter and feel great.

Well, my doc visit was very positive. Did I even mention I love Dr Jack? He listens to me. We discussed my BGL and the weight problem and he has made me his "test case" for Victoza. We are leaving all meds the same except adding V. and I am to journal daily for 6 weeks. He told me to stop the glyburide if I start to get morning lows regularly. So ... on I go.

I must also mention that, although my weight was 202 yesterday, he remarked that I've lost weight. I think going to the gym is working because my clothes feel looser.

Anyhow, I will get going on this as soon as I get the prescription filled. We have a wee pharmacy here in Delta (four half days a week) and I will take in the scrip this morning. I'm sure I'll be in shock over the price but I'm hoping my insurance will pay part. Otherwise, the dogs will have to get a paper route.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #84  
Madeleine

trish, good news. I am on 2000 units of D per day. I take two drops (yes drops, not a pill) of D drops and that does it. Supposed to help with depression, and of course good for bones. I hope it helps Tony and that he can get healthier with your doctor's plan.
Ruth, I hope the Victoza is helpful, and I am glad he gave you permission to drop the glyburide if needed. It seems to be a stumbler for you, and if you have to take a hit of glucose to deal with the lows, makes weight loss hard for you. I think you are being so careful with what you eat that it may not be needed. you do really well most of the time.
I stayed on plan today, so hope to get down by the end of the week if I continue this way.
My baby is doing great, cute as a button, and her parents are doing a great job. How lovely.
GOing to bed early again, I keep getting tired at 930 pm, but what can I do?
the bed is calling me....
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #85  
Come on Spring!

I love to hear about babies! Right now there are no babies in my life and I am such a fool when I spot one in the doctor's office or at the shopping centre. My kids are "done" and my grands are too young. ** Sigh **

Stayed right on plan yesterday and thought I had a bad low this morning since I woke up before four. I was 3.8 so that's not too bad. I will monitor that carefully once I start the Victoza. It had to be ordered specially by our wee pharmacy and won't be in until tomorrow. One of the side effects can be nausea, same as Byetta, but I am hoping to miss that. I'm lucky to never have that problem - I don't even get seasick - but will stock up on Gravol just in case.

Weight seems to be dropping again - 197.8 this morning. What a mystery our bodies are!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #86  

Height: 5'2"

Been sick in bed with bronchitis since Sat. Finally starting to feel a little better. Now they say we may get up to 12 inches of snow. So sick of all this snow. Looking forward to spring. Waiting for results from a thyroid sonogram. Hoping all is ok and that meds may help regulate it. Maybe this could all be part of the reason that I have been trouble losing weight. The only good thing about being sick is that I did lose some weight and I have not been hungry for snacks. Hoping that my body is used to not having the snacks and will keep up this trend. Hoping that work will be closed tomorrow so I can have another day to get better and not have to take another day off.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #87  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ The temps have come up here the last few days, so we were able to get up town and do some shopping. We had more **** but I love the snow myself: it has it's advantages. We find it cushions around the house and keeps us warmer. I shouldn't have looked at the forecast -- they are expecting -40+C next week: that's it ... I'm hybernating for sure ...

I have been doing stuff around the house; finished my latest book and it was a good one: a funny, Irish one about bachelors who won't commit; so the ladies had to band together to form a "cou" against them. It actually worked. I love my romance books; they all end well and it's like watching a movie, only better ....

RUTH ~ I wish drinking water could do miracles like that; you know, that's what we need, some MIRACLE WATER that melts fat and smooths our skin at the same time. I hope your new med works for you; funny, just before you take your new med, you drop 4+lbs ... you scared your body into losing ...

LINDY ~ you see, I'm right: snow has some advantages -- a few "SNOW DAYS" aren't so bad, esp when your sick. Hoping and praying you'll be well again real soon ... so you can go back to work!

TRISH ~ so glad to hear that good news; nice to hear my prayers are working so well. I was gonna ask if he was diabetic too; and to suggest watching his sugar intake. I read somewhere that sugar can thicken the blood and that garlic can thin it ... Vitamin E, Flax Oil, and Fish Oil are all natural blood thinners: I take the first two myself. I am also taking the Vitamin D & B Complex too.

MAD ~ glad you are getting some rest. I love homemade soups and make them all the time. Whenever I roast something; I add piles of veggies. Then I put the leftovers in small containers in the freezer; which I use as a base for my HM soups.

Have been doing well with the PP this week; so pleased about that. I do very well with the meals; snacking has always been the area I must work on. I noticed that when I worked in the past, that I didn't snack as much either; I think the key for me is to keep very busy. Hope you all have a great Thursday ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #88  
Come on Spring!

Well, I am now down 6 pounds since Monday morning. Go figure! However, I'm still not down to the lovely 192 I was when I got back from Italy. Three years ago today I was just home from the hospital (knee surgery) and was a delightful 189. Somehow, I thought the loss would continue. Guess I should have kept on eating hospital food!

Today I pick up my Victoza and am debating whether to start it today or wait until after the weekend. My cousin Cathy is coming to stay for a few days and I don't really want the possible side-effect of nausea to interfere with enjoying time with her. Decisions, decisions!

I did well on veggies yesterday and am starting to do better on milk. Now to get the salt in check. I used hoisin sauce in my stir-fry last night - 9% DV rather than 49% in soy sauce! I also got a new fish cookbook and may brave fish cookery next week. I have a real mental block about fish but did have salmon in dill and cognac sauce a few weeks ago and liked it. My problem is I cannot imagine fish without white wine!

Happy Thursday and do something nice for your body today. I'm pampering mine with a treadmill session here at home.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #89  
Madeleine

Default its a bit fishy

Ruth, I also love fish, and most seafood too. I didn't like it as a kid, too many bones, or fish sticks. But when I was 14 we went on a big trip to Peru, (my aunt lived in Lima at the time) and had really fresh sea fish well prepped for the first time. I was hooked. I am picky about it, but really like it.
I prefer it usually dining out, (I like to pick things on a menu I don't or seldom make at home) because I don't like the smell lingering in the kitchen. WHen we have it at home, we often use the outdoor grill for that reason.
A good seafood restaurant can make great stuff, they tend to do it "right" I find.
I have a fab recipe for fresh mussels, but it does included white wine.
DH doesn't like salmon much, and thats my fav, but if we grill, I buy him trout and me salmon. (healthy fats etc)
I hope you enjoy fish cooking. South Beach does a lot of that, I bet you can pick up a south beach book at the library and adapt some recipes so the calories are right for you.
Succumbed to some dessert last night (SF icecream) and am up a pound this am. see what happens when you don't stick to plan. Also had some wings for supper, was up last time I had them too, tho they aren't breaded, they are "dusted" and probably too many carbs. We had an office emergency and had to stay quite late, so we ordered in wings to get thru the evening.
Ok, back to plan.
ttfn everyone
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #90  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning Ladies.

I have just been lurking lately and just reading everyone's updates.

Took DH to the hospital on Monday for the procedure that he should have had a couple of weeks ago. Everything went well, although he has to go back again, so we are waiting for the doctor to call with another appt.

It's been very nice here for the last couple of days, Yesterday was 11 and it's supposed to be the same today. That should make all the snow disappear quickly. I love it when the chinooks come in.

DH is taking me and a couple of friends out for dinner tomorrow night. It's my 65th birthday. I can't believe that I'm a senior citizen I sure don't feel like one.

Had some good news yesterday. My grandsons wife (she is only 27 and they have a 2 year old son) had been diagnosed with melanoma a few weeks ago. They removed her lymph node for testing and they got the results back yesterday. The cancer hasn't spread any further than the original site. She will still undergo treatment with a clinical trial but they can now get on with the healing and their lives.

Have a great day and to everyone.

Last edited by Lindyloo; 01-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Closed Thread