Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #31  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Had a great weekend -- visiting friends in the country on Saturday; and had a nice steak BBQ dinner there. This afternoon, packed a small lunch and we went fishing; I was the only one who caught anything (a young 18" er, so I decided to do catch & release and let him grow for a few more years).

Eating well and on plan. Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up ... Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #32  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

18"? That seems big to me. Of course I'm a real pan-fish fisherwoman. Sounds like you had a great time.

Monday and renewed enthusiasm after a real downer Sunday - not a single veggies passed my lips and my ticker is lying by a pound. BGL is still good though. I really, REALLY want to see 189 this week.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #33  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth, I'm rooting for you! you can get to 189, there's a perfect mini-goal. Mine is to get below 170 (yes even 169.9 would do for my headspace).
I see a chiropractor today, and my back has been getting slowly better on its own, so hoping more walking will help.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

Ruth As much as I love veggies, I sometimes I get tired of them. I hope I don't get burned out on eating so many of them on SBD. While FBS is better, it still bounces around and I am convinced that the Phase 1 will help get it back down to where it belongs. Reading the book has sold me on that fact.

Fatmad My back and my right hip joint hurts (an old injury to the hip) when I first begin walking or exercising. However, I know that if I take it slow and ease into the exercise especially walking that the back and joint strengthens and the pain goes away. I seem to have a hard time getting started, so I've decided to use the exercises recommended in the different Phases in SBD Super Charge book to get me going.

Hubby wants to go out to eat. Funny how a person who has never had to diet suddenly has the same attitudes all dieters have when they learn they have to do it. I know he is having a difficult time realizing he is diabetic. I'm not pushing or criticizing him like he has done me and did his first wife (deceased), because I understand what he is feeling. Our relationship has improved because now I think he realizes how I feel and how Carol felt. I am so sorry he has to experience all this. He has so many other health issues he is facing that I wish he could have been spared this one. He will work through it and settle into eating as he should. He is just going through the process we all have had to go through. Any way we are going out to eat which I absolutely hate doing these days. You don't know how food is prepared are what is in it and we have blood work done Thursday. I'm sure the doc will have to put DH on some diabetic meds and he will probably up my Metformin again.

Y'all have a great day.
pattygirl63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #35  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning.
I hope everyone had a great weekend.

I just got back from a doctors appt for a req. for my A1c test. Will try to get an appt. for that this weekd. I did get rid of one of my prescriptions though. My cholesterol medication is now gone Yipee. Now to work on the BP.

Patty , I'm like you, don't like to go out and eat - scared of what's in the food. Good luck to your husband and I'm sure he will work everything all out.

Ruth & Fatmad good luck on the weight loss.

Going grocery shopping now. Have a great day.
Lindyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #36  
Madeleine

Default nice visit

We have some cottage neighbours that we only get to see up here, and had a nice visit with them. The husband is also pre-diabetic, no meds yet, but testing some. He isn't as good with his diet as he should be. Eating out too much, and making not so good choices when he does. (They went out for brunch on Sunday, and he had 2 servings of pancakes and syrup. duh)
His wife is so wonderful, we traded ideas and recipes. I just enjoy her generally. She has lost 10 pounds on HIS diet plan. She is so good with her research on his benefit. It made me think about why 3fc is so great. Of course men are welcome here, but it seems to me, (tell me ladies if I'm wrong) that as the partner who usually cooks, men have a better chance since their wives will embrace the changes and change how she cooks and serves food.
If the wife is trying to make changes, she often sees her family will not go along. They complain, they bring in taboo foods, they won't try new things. In undermines the woman and she gives up. Am I being too simplistic? It seems I have seen this happen frequently. But maybe thats just an excuse we use.
This holiday and time with my husband, I have been working on educating him. He cooks about half the time, and its so important that when I come home exhausted that there is healthy stuff on my plan. So he is (finally) coming around to this idea of supper planning. He hasn't been agreeable to this before. But now he is seeing how important it is and agrees to try.
I know he really loves me, and his agreeing to try this is such a lovely way to say he does. If you know how he HATES planned meals, you would understand what a big deal this is for him.
BTW re the back, it has been a problem since a week ago saturday, I had a very long drive (8 hours in the car, but with breaks) and for a couple of days was hardly able to move. Its taken longer than I thought for it to get better, and the chiropractic treatment really helped yesterday. It was worse for about 3 hours (quite common) and then I had my first painfree hours (2 of them) since this started, where I was moving around, not just sitting without moving. I was able to go swimming and do some yoga. This morning getting up, was not too stiff, and was able to move around fairly well.
I'm pleased, am sugars are staying below 6 with the evening snack. So will keep it up.
Have also been working through a new weight loss book, not focusing on diet, but on the mind.
Some real potential in this one.
have a good tuesday everyone
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #37  

We didn't go out to eat yesterday because not many places to eat around the new Walmart. I hadn't put anything out to thaw so I made DH favorite quick food which is biscuits and creamed chipped beef... not my favorite when not dieting. I ate it any way and figured that it would ruin my FBS this morning. Surprise to me my FBS was 110 mg/dl this morning. Go figure. I was right back OP with my evening meal. It appears that I do better if I only eat 3 reasonably small meals and a snack before bedtime each day that my FBS readings are better. Of course time will tell on that. Hope I can keep it coming down. BP has been normal for over a week now so hopefully that is taken care of.

Fatmad I agree with you that things seems to work that way. However I know a man who has high BP, BS etc and he tried to change to healthy eating. His wife didn't cook a lot and they ate out most of the time. When he tried to start eating healthier, his wife didn't like it. Since they didn't eat out as much, she made the statement to him that "he was any fun any more". I always wondered how much she loved him since his health didn't seem to be important to her. I am finding that my DH is thinking more healthy now that he has the diabetic issue himself. His daughter who likes to eat the way I do talks to him and really helps a lot with that. What book are you reading. I love Intuitive Eating which I hope to be able to fall back into as I learn to eat better for my health.

I just ordered a book I found on Amazon.com called The Diabetic Book. Can't remember the long name of it, but it is supposed to answer all the questions about diabetes and how foods affect it and why etc. I think it will be good for my and for dear hubby with his medical background. I hope it will help him get rid of the old thoughts about it from what they knew 10 yrs ago when his first wife had it and died from all the complications of it and what they have learned to be true today.

Have a great day Everybody!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #38  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Hi
I'm going to jump in here and ask a question. But first just a bit about me.

I'm a type 2 diabetic for the past 3 years. Taking Metformin 500mg twice a day. Had gained alot of weight before diagnosed. I am 5'1" and was 172. I lost 25 lbs on South Beach but then got lazy and got back up to 161 and just hovered there. My Hgb A1c was 6.9 over 3 months ago and had an appt in July. Doctor told me that if my A1c went up she would have to change my meds so on June 28th I started exercising and am doing it daily now. I started calorie counting and watching carbs more closely on July 19th. I had my next A1c done the 20th and it had dropped to 6.3. I had seen a couple of fasting blood sugars at 100 and below but seem here in the past week or so it has creeped up. Today it was 122.
I've read about the dawn phenomenon and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
I do keep a food diary. Have been eating nuts or a protein before going to bed but maybe to late?
Thanks for any suggestions..........
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #39  
Madeleine

welcome Leann, yes, I think you will find that a bedtime snack that has some carbs and fat may be helpful. That said, I am still struggling there, my fasting was 6.3 today! then 5.3 two hours after breakfast. I have decided to go back to atkins induction starting a week from Monday, when my holidays are done and I'm back to work. I have 2 weddings and a family picnic before then, so while I plan to stay to my woe, ( way of eating) induction would be too strict to manage.
Trish, the book I am reading is called "Savor" and I am working through it slowly. I read a paragraph at a time. It is Buddhist philosophy in practical terms for weight loss. Lest anyone of some religious affiliations take that to mean its not for them, remember I said philosophy, not prayer here, and the principals can be adapted to any religious teaching.
I mean, all faiths would agree on taking a moment before eating to be thankful for our food, yes?
I am enjoying many aspects, but will not be embracing the vegetarian/vegan diet recommended in it.
have a good day everyone
Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #40  

Leeann Sorry, I can't answer your question as I'm still fairly new to this myself. I don't really know what causes numbers to be higher one morning and low the next. I hope the book I ordered will help me understand that better myself. I'm going to try to remember to ask my doctor about that when I see him again. He does specialize in diabetic treatment. If you learn anything helpful, please share and I will do the same.

A quick one again. I was wondering if anyone notices that when you don't get enough sleep that your FBS is a little higher? DH wanted me to stay up with him and I went to bed at 4 am. Checked BS before going to bed and then when I got up and it was higher when I got up.

Fatmad I agree that we should always be thankful for food before we eat it.

Eating easier today since I'm sooo tired today. However, I need to make myself stay up and awake since I have to get up early to go get fasting blood drawn in the morning. Hoping that my numbers that were off last month are improved this time. Will get results on the 20th during drs. appt.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #41  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

fatmad Thanks so much for the response. Maybe need to eat a bit more carbs that just the nuts. I don't know it's a work in progress that's for sure.
I agree also that we should be thankful for our food.
Patty girl Thanks for the response and wishing you better fasting numbers. As far a you bs rising because lack of sleep I don't know the answer to that one. But I know that stress can raise it.

Have a good day
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #42  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LEANN ~ how about having a few wg crackers with the cheese to see what happens; the nuts & cheese do have protein & fat in them but adding in a complex carb may make all the difference (try it one night to see what happens).

TRISH ~ experts say that if we do not get enuff sleep -- our health can be affected in negative ways; and I wouldn't be surprised if it affects our BSL's too. I agree with LEANN that stress sure can.

We've been busy; and I had some trouble with my PC for some reason the last two days, but managed to get in here tonight with some perseverance. Have been on plan really good lately; hope to keep that up, but since I had a surprise visit from TOM two months in a row, I am retaining some water the last while. Will have to take some meds to see if that will go away for me; will have to watch the salt intake too. It is so easy to start shakin' too much on my food again ...

Time to go make dinner; we have been eating lighter and a bit later as it has been very here lately, and our kitchen gets esp hot around dinner time (and that's before I even start cooking). I have been trying to find things that won't heat up the kitchen too much.

Have a great week ladies ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-11-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #43  
Come on Spring!

Rosebud, do you have a crockpot? I use mine a lot in summer and have even set it up outside on the deck to keep the kitchen as cool as possible.

I survived my visitors yesterday with relatively few transgressions. The BGL is great this morning but the weight is up a tad. I just cannot handle extra carbs these days but there was some lovely whole wheat baguette....Sigh! Today is going to be a salad and leftover chicken sort of day which may help. I'm still sniffing around the idea of Atkins induction but know I'd have to monitor my blood carefully. I may just do South Beach Phase I.

Happy Thursday as we trudge into the weekend.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #44  
Madeleine

this am fasting bs is 6.6. I had my snack (berries with cream) at 930 pm, checked my sugar at 8 am. So, should I stop the evening snack? When I do induction for the two weeks, I think I won't snack in the evening (carbs so restricted anyhow) and see what happens. Maybe I am getting too many carbs overall and this is allowing my liver to store too much glucose for release. If I restrict carbs more during the day maybe it will be better.
Arg.
Ruth, what happens to your sugars with induction that you are concerned? do you get hypoglycemic? or do you have to adjust a med so this doesn't happen? Are you on glyburide as well as metformin?
Rosebud, you are doing so well, look how much you have already lost. YOu will be less than half your former self in the long run.
you are just amazing, a real inspiration
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #45  
Come on Spring!

Sugars go very low on Induction, Mad. I get low readings anyhow (FBGL below 3 is not uncommon) and have been considering cutting the glyberide in the evening.

I do need to budge this weight!