Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #106  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Fatmad Thanks for the suggestions. I am not really doing any meditation but I did talk with my sister for 3 hours yesterday on the phone. She enlightened me as to several different ways to go from here. Things I probably would not have taken into consideration. She said "take your anger out of the situation and then what would you do". I am now considering things in a different light. Before that I was ready to turn in my resignation on Monday. But now I am going to wait for an answer on Tuesday as to whether or not my employer can come up with the money to keep my salary at the same pay or if not they expect me to take over a 2,000 pay cut. If that happens I am now considering giving them a 2 week notice. So as you can see I am taking my anger out and finding other ways to deal with it. I will still have to work with the individual that made me so angry for at least the 2 days. But we have done that before when she gets in one of her moods and doesn't talk to me for days.
Anyway blood sugar was 107 this morning and I am feeling some better. Did a 1 mile classic walk away the pounds yesterday and will do at least that today. Exercise really helps.

Thanks for listening
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #107  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello, everyone!

Fatmad -- That's so great! I'm glad the diet is working for you. At least I am not alone in this. No bread for a year so far? Well, if you can do it so can I.

Leann, I'm sorry! Work troubles can be so hard, especially when you have so much to deal with anyway. I hope things work out.

Hey, Trish -- These days, I mostly eat an omelet with zucchini, onions, and mushrooms. I like it, but it is getting old. I need to change it up a bit more, too.

Hey, Lindyloo, congrats on your numbers getting better!

Well, I'm one week down on my low carb plan. Incentive to stay on is easy because I feel better now than I did before. Went to the doctor last week. I go back for blood tests on Thurs. Hopefully, my blood sugar will be similar to what I'm getting at home. Since I've started my new plan, my FBS has been about 90. I'm thrilled about that! And, I've lost another pound this week, too.

My mom has been giving me grief about doing the low-carb thing. She thinks it is unhealthy. I think that is just hype. Diabetics can not handle carbs! Besides, I am eating a lot more vegetables and some fruit, so I don't see that it is unhealthy. I will wait until I have my blood tests back to show her that it is working. I'm not sure how my cholesterol and other things are. I guess it could still be high right now, but I'm not changing anything as long as I'm losing and my BS is good. BTW, I don't live at home or anything. I am 37 years old, but sometimes my mom can still make me feel like a kid.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #108  
In it 4 the long haul

thecandEs Thanks so much for the good thought's. Also remember that your mom doesn't understand that we can't eat carbs like others can. Maybe after you get your numbers back from the doctor she will begin to understand how it is helping. I know this doesn't help but be thankful that you have a mom who cares. My mom died when I was just 12 and oh how I wish I had one that was that concerned with my health.
Anyway I am going to go in to work in the morning and do my job and take care of those kids and not worry about the other woman in the office. Will deal with their decision on Tuesday. Until then just take it day by day.
I walked on the treadmill tonight for 1 mile. Was at a relative's house today and ate out once so did not get to eat as well as I would have at home.
Tomorrows a new day with new choices...........

Leann
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #109  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

CandEs, not knowing your mother, but would she read the book? see that you are getting carbs, just not grains? That healthy carbs keep getting added back in? That you will monitor your response so you know which ones are triggers for you and which are good?
My mother was suffering from dementia, but even so, it was a while before I realized that she wasn't trying to stuff sticky buns down my throat as an exercise in sabotage, but because all she wanted to eat towards the end was soft and sweet, and that she didn't really understand what diabetes was (she used to know, and wouldn't have admitted that she didn't know, but I figured it out eventually) and she might have forgotten since my last visit, and even in the last ten minutes. It was me reacting that was the problem.
LOL, its funny now I look back.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #110  
War Eagle!

Hey, Leann and Fatmad, I'm sorry to complain! I'm glad I still have a mom to talk to, and most of the time she is really non-judgmental, so I am very lucky. It just made be feel a bit disappointed that she doesn't trust me to make the best decisions I can make right now. My paternal grandfather lived near us when I was in high school, and we had to take care of him when he was older and suffering from complications of type 2 diabetes. She thinks I can eat some of the same things he used to eat, but he was on insulin and never had good control of his blood sugar, so I don't see how she can want me to do as he did. The diet his doctor gave him was loaded with carbs. I really don't think that is the way to go.

As for her reading the book, well, she doesn't have BS problems, so I don't think it would interest her. My dad would be more likely to read it than she would. I'm really attached to my book right now, so I might have to buy them a new one if I want them to read it. I just got a book back from her that I lent her 9 years ago. LOL

Leann -- I think that is the best you can do. Just try to ignore her. I know it's hard. I've worked with many challenging people. Exercise will help with the stress. Good luck!

Last edited by theCandEs; 08-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I agree about people not understanding low carb. They have heard so much false info about it and even the low carb diets docs and dieticians give out still call for more carbs than most of us eat. Most people forget that the veggies and fruit are still carbs. I didn't think about that until the last time we went to see Tony's DD and her family in FL. When I made the statement that I couldn't eat carbs, I meant the starchy carbs. My DGS made that statement "Nannie, you need carbs for energy". I thought about that after I got back home and realized that he thought I didn't eat any carbs at all. Of course, we low carbers eat carbs. We just eat our in fruit and veggies.

I am blessed by the fact that my family all eat low carb and my Daddy is always sharing with me things that he eats. My sister who had lap band surgery eats very low carb. My doctor wasn't sure about me eating so few carbs, but as he said... "the numbers don't lie" and my numbers were so much better.

I ate a little more carbs last week than I probably should have, but am back to lower carb this week. I'm counting calories and carbs.

CanEs Years ago my sister and I were on a diet of only protein, veggies and fruit. It was the diet Overeaters Anonymous used at the time called the gray sheet. One day my sister called and said get off the diet it isn't safe. A lot of the women were getting either urinary or bladder infection (can't remember which). Years later, I had a doctor ask me if I had ever had a diet that worked for me and I told him yes I had. He said then get back on it and do it. For years I was afraid to get back on it, then I realized that it wasn't the diet that was unhealthy. How could protein, fruit and veggies be unhealthy. Then I realized that the women who had those problems were drinking loads of diet drinks and probably didn't drink water. I didn't lose as fast as others on that diet, but I felt great. The sad thing is that if I had stayed on that diet, I would have been thin and healthy today instead of starting over.

Hope everyone has a great day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #112  
War Eagle!

Hey, Trish I know about wishing I had stuck to something earlier, too. I started the SBD a year ago, and I felt great on phase 1. If I had had any sense, I would have stayed on it. Oh, well. I'm doing it now. lol
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #113  
In it 4 the long haul

Well girls I was approached by the superintendent this morning who told me and also gave me a letter with the same info that the board could not come up with the money (2100/year) that the grant had covered so I gave him my resignation right then and there. Typed it out tonight and will give it to him tomorrow. He does seem like a very caring man or either he puts on a good show. As far as the RN I work with I let her know that I gave my 2 weeks notice today and that Sept 10th will be my last day. She just made a face at me and when I told her that I would give her a copy of my resignation letter as she is the boss of the office she informed me that she didn't need one. I said ok and walked off. I was very professional today in the office and will continue to be until my last day. I will miss my kids that I take care and a few friends I have made since I have been there but it is time to move on.

No pun intended but the fat lady will sing on Sept 10. 2010.
Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Thanks for listening..........
Leann

Now just got to get another job
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #114  
War Eagle!

Hey, Leann, I'm sorry about your job. I'm sorry about that awful woman, too. What is up with people? Hope you find another job soon, and who knows? You might like it better and maybe it will have better people, too.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #115  

Hello Everyone,

Leann I'm so sorry about your job, however, I'm sure there is a better place for you to work. I pray you find it very soon. I have a neighbor who worked for a company for many years and lost the job when economy problems hit. She now has a job with another company doing the same thing she did at the other and the people are great and she loves it. I pray the same happens for you.

Well, I believe I got my carbs/calories working for me. My FBS has been below 120 for days and today it was 108. The doctor wanted 120, but I wanted below 110 and I've finally hit it. I'm starting to do a little bit of exercise each day and plan to do a minimum of 20 minutes starting tomorrow since I made it a challenge on another thread. I got my first Diabetic Living Magazine yesterday and it had an article showing some exercises to do so I'm making up my own exercise routine using them plus some others I already do or planned to. I think they should come out to between a 20 to 30 minute workout. I don't usually do challenges, but thought it would help me get into a routine that will run my eating and exercise into a habit.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #116  
In it 4 the long haul

Thanks so much for the warm thoughts and prayers. It means alot to me.

Leann
Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #117  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

leanne: sorry about the job, but glad for you to be away from any toxic issues, they can be real speedbumps for our health and weight loss.
Good luck finding the next thing, whether in the same line or a good change.

Trish I am so glad for you. Shooting for lower numbers is a good thing. I also am shooting for "normals" that is the kind of numbers non-diabetics have, not normals for diabetics.

Today was tough to stick to plan. I was up half the night working, slept a few hours and went to the office for the day. Colleagues did a couple of other visits outside of the office for me, (as I do for them when they are busy/tired) but these tired days are the toughest to stick to plan.
I want carby/fatty/sugary crap. Lots of tea with caffeine and pie and cakey things.
I didn't do it, and we have nothing like that in the house. (good thing) and we live 25 minutes from the nearest grocery so I hope I am safe until the cravings pass. Going to bed early, and ate my "prescribed" food. I am not hungry but am definitely craving. BUT
these are the challenges we need to learn to deal with. for me, this very scenario will come up at least a couple of times every month, and if I calculate the calories and gains that would happen if I fall off my little red wagon every time it happens, I will be forever fat.
SO today, no binges on crap. Just good old good food.
One day at a time, as they say.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #118  

Fatmad I too would love to have normal numbers for non-diabetics. If I can reach that point, I will. I'm going to give it a shot any way and go as close to it as I can and still function. Sorry you had a bad day but BIG CONGRATULATIONS on warding off the cravings. I remember when I was in Overeater's Anonymous years ago that one of the things they told us to do was to be careful NOT to get too tired as that was when we are weak and have cravings. Having your food on hand that you can have and the ones we crave out of the house is very wise. I too have certain foods that I just don't bring into the house. I hope you get a good nights rest so you will be stronger tomorrow.