Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/156/125

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Question Cymbalta?

First of all, let me start by saying that I have fibromyalgia - a condition that causes pain and fatigue in addition to anxiety and depression. It is thought to be caused by some of the same chemical imbalances as clinical depression, anxiety, ocd, etc.

I have been taking Zoloft for over a year. I noticed that it did seem slightly easier for me to gain weight, slightly harder to lose it. I am now about to start taking Cymbalta because it is supposed to work better to combat the pain issues. My doctor has assured me that this medication will not cause weight gain, but I thought I would ask here if anyone had personal experience with this medication...

Thanks for any input!

-Lauren
lauren2pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband is on it for diabetic neuropathy. It decreased his appetite for the first month. He said it made food taste off, but he adjusted. He lost about 10 lbs, and kept off about 5. So it wasn't a help to weight loss, but it wasn't a hinderance either.

I'm on disability for my fibromyalgia, and am on the antidepressant lexapro. I'm considering asking the doctor about Cymbalta for myself, because along with Lyrica it has really helped my husband's pain level.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 4"

Smile

Cymbalta- Improvement is usually seen as quickly as day two and full effect is typically 14days from first dosage. At 14days if some improvement is seen doseage should be increased to 60mg's daily. Depending on the patient doses as high as 120mg's per day can be used safely.

Everyone system is different! What will work for one will not work for someone else. Thank goodness there are lots of meds out there to change to.

I have fibro, and back problems, etc. I am on SSD.
I take a small dose of zoloft. Helps me.

My partner was on cymbalta, and she hated it!!!!!
So we have almost 200 pills collecting dust. I have heard good things and bad things about this med.
But, you can not go by how it did for others. You just have to wait and see if it will help you. If not. Tell your doctor.
Zoloft will be going generic very soon!! So it will cost less.
Some doctors will put their patients on a new med. Cause the drug reps will push a new med, that cost more. And, give the doctor lots of samples, etc to push the drug.
So, do not be scared to ask for something else cheaper if you do not think this one will work for you.
If it works. And, you have the money. It is worth it

Soft hugs!
starcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info. - Wow - it's amazing to so quickly hear from two others with Fibro - usually people are like - huh? what? you have what? what's THAT?

I had originally been put on the Zoloft more for anxiety than my fibromyalgia, but it really ended up helping with the pain, too. I didn't quite realize how much until I stopped taking it about 6 weeks ago. Although my anxiety has been just fine (wow - I've actually learned to cope!) - my pain level has gradually been creeping back up until this last week it has been almost unmanageable. I am usually very active, but have pretty much been at home or at my parents and on Vicodin for the past 5 days...

I am going to try the Cymbalta (hopefully it will work quickly!), but it is good to know a generic form of the Zoloft may be available soon if Cymbalta doesn't work well for me - at least I would pay less even if it is harder for me to lose weight with the Zoloft!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I have been on Cymbalta for two weeks now and it definetley has curbed my appetite and has caused me to loose a little weight already. Food did taste funny at first, now it's getting better. The only complaint I have about it is that it has really messed with my sleep. I have a hard time sleeping at night and then I wind up just falling out durring the day from exaustion. And even whenI take a nap durring the day I still feel restless. I have tried taking it at different times of the day but it still has the same effect. I'm all for the loosing weight with this medicine but I am tired of being so sleepy all the time!
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #6  

Well - I got the Cymbalta today. My dr. was able to give me 6 weeks of samples, so I can really try it and adjust the dose to see if it works without spending money! :-)

I have only taken it once, obviously, so I will keep you all posted on how it works out in the next few days and weeks. Hopefully no funny side effects (though I wouldn't mind the loss of appetite!)

-Lauren