Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #1  
LC'r in training

Default How to find a "live" and local support group?

Hello all.

I've lurked here for some time and am ready to get my butt moving. I'm 38, on medical leave for depression and a gain of over 100 pounds in the last year puts me in the 300+ category.

My doctors have recommeded I join a local depression group. They want me to rely on the internet less.

But how does one find one that works for them? I'm done a few on-line searches but now what?

I tried Over-eaters anonymous last year but just didn't feel comfortable with the groups. I am willing to try another group but would probably go with Emotions anonymous given my current condition.

Any recommendations? My searches just seem so overwhelming.

Last edited by afishoutawater; 01-02-2005 at 11:24 PM.
afishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Paula, and Welcome !!!

Please know that you are not alone in your struggles

For a support group in your area, the only thing I can think of right now is to call the local hospitals. They usually have meetings and groups for either depression and/or weight loss. I know here in NJ I see them advertising all the time in the news papers. If they don't then maybe their dietitiion from the hospital can direct you to the right person who can help.

I hope this helps !!

Hope to see you on the daily threads, maybe we can help as well. THis site is WONDERFUL!!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #3  
LC'r in training

Thank you Leenie.

I found a phone number for a Depression group clearhouse here in SE Michigan. They were able to give me leads on a few different groups. Now to fit them into my schedule / life.

& I do plan to log on here more often.

Paula
afishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote