Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Weekend Chat - July 10 & 11

Good Morning,

What a beautiful day out today, breezy and warm. Boy this was an excellent week weather wise to take a vacation. I really enjoyed it.

DH is going to cut the grass then me and dd are going to go outside and play a bit. Nothing much doing today except tons of laundry, some cleaning and play time.

Gonna grill me up a big tuna steak tonight for dinner MMMMM!

How's your weekend going?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

Leenie - I'm so glad you have enjoyed your vacation! they go way too quick! a tuna steak sounds YUMMY!

I did a 45 minute 3 mile WATP w/3lb weights this morning and just got done coloring my hair. Have loads of laundry and some cooking to do, and who knows what else the day will bring? of course - it is raining again! *sigh* good thing I'm inside!

Wonder what our gang is up to today?

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

hi everyone... between hub and I we finally got son to all the places he needed to get to for all of his paperwork (doctor certificate, place of employment form filled out by doctor, photocopied for unemployment/disability, both of those forms back out to where he works, unemployment/disability filled out). Son had washed his wallet accidently some time back and ruined his small birth certificate, so I had to dig out his big one that I had in his baby book... so it could be copied for evrything else. He had two medical appts as well. He wasn't doing anything - I spent most of the week fighting with him to get him to come with me to get things done. By time hub and daughter got back from their week at judo nationals, I couldn't do it anymore. Even talking about it would start me in on a crying streak... I just can't seem to stop these tears. So hub took son yesterday after I lost it, flipped out and got into a shouting match with son. Anyway, it's all done now, I think.

now the next hurdle is to get the psych appt. made. We haven't heard anything from the psychiatrist's office (referral was supposed to have been made earlier this week), so I will have to work on son to phone the receptionist and find out if the referral has gotten there. I'm trying so hard to get him to do things himself. You have to understand that his depression manifests itself in anger, so everything becomes a huge battle with him. He made his followup doctor (family) appt for the very morning of the day he is supposed to go back to work! So I convinced him to get that changed too... now he goes back a few days before his work/stress leave is over. He wasn't thinking about that when he made it.

apparently, he and some other guys have a potential duplex lined up to rent, only a few blocks from our house. hopefully it's all coming together. hub and I will more than likely have to put his portion of the damage deposit down, and probably help with the first month rent until all these disability cheques come. He seems to think these things "just happen".

I don't know how anyone expects a person who is suffering from depression to be able to cope with all the paperwork, running around, and the wait period for pay. I nearly went crazy with how much there was myself, trying to help son!

I'm going to the gym in about 1/2 hour. Went 5 days in a row, so took the past two off. Am going to try and do 5 on/2off. I am so discouraged. Scale hasn't moved in well over a week. Well, that's not entirely true. It went UP 1.5 pounds. I know I may be building SOME muscle, but my weights work-out is very light - intended to tone, and I have well over 45 pounds to lose, so I shouldn't be "plateauing" so soon... at least in my mind. I know my food is fine. I did WW for years, and I'm using FitDay to track. So, I'm not sure what the scoop is. I hope it starts moving again before I reach my (very low) frustration level and toss in the towel. If it wasn't for my pre-paid appts with the personal trainer, I think I would.

Sorry for the long (very down) post. I'm usually a pretty optimistic person. But I'm running out of optimism.

Hope everyone's weekend goes well.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:25 PM   #4  

Hi everyone

It is a nice day here today....breezy....blue sky & warm. We had a new box spring & mattress delivered this morning.....they tried to put the old box spring down the basement....it wouldn't fit through the doorway though.....so the old queen size box spring & mattress went in the spare bedroom......that is where I originally wanted it. The double box spring & mattress....that we had in the front bedroom went down the basement.

We were outside earlier....saw the neighbor next door....asked him to come over for coffee....the neighbor on the other side of us was outside doing some work.....so he came over also for coffee.....we had coffee out on the deck.

I had a good day yesterday.....also today....feeling good....just sort of headachy today though.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:45 PM   #5  

Hey JudoMom - I'm glad to see a long post from you! Sometimes you just need to get it out and sometime I find it is just easier to get it out with my cyber buddies then a face to face friend. I don't know, sometimes it's just really hard to explain what you are dealing with to people that you see all the time. know what I mean?

About the weight gain - don't you dare throw in the towel girlie - I know that you won't - you just can't. You need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of everybody else. I honestly believe JudoMom that when we are stressed that something happens in our bodies (with cortisol or something) that makes us gain weight. I don't know exactly what it is, but I know that stress messes with our weight, even when we are eating right and exercising. So you just hang in there and use your exercise as a stress releaser. Eventually something has got to show up on that dang scale. I KNOW it's frustrating!

JudoMom - I am praying for you and your son! ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

April - sounds like you had a good day. glad you are feeling a little better. it's about time that that stuff gets out of your system. hugs

Cathy
Old 07-11-2004, 02:55 AM   #6  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Ladies...

Judomom - I agree with Cathy... sometimes the best thing to do is just write everything down and get it off your chest and sometimes there are just some things better off left to people who you don't see everyday. Kinda like writing a diary but sharing your thoughts with ... I wanna say strangers, cause in a way we are, but in another way we aren't. But we understand that sometimes you just need to vent. I've done the same thing. *big hugz*

April - glad that things are picking up... *big hugz* to you to...

Cathy - speaking of cortisol... have you done much reading on this stuff? I keep seeing the commercials for cortislim and I just wonder if this stress and cortisol stuff is something that's moved into the empty apartment known as my hiips... definately a lot of stress in my life! I also know when I was younger, being constantly hospitalized with asthma or pneumonia and having to take steriod inhalers, woooosh that didn't help the weight gain either... but this cortisol stuff sorta makes me think... ooh btw I haven't tried out those WATP video tapes yet, but now that my health is better I am looking forward to trying them... will let you know what happens hehehe...

Everything was great today, I'm back down to 351lbs. You know what I think happened, being that TOM was around most of the weight I gained was water... possibly? Either way, I'm glad it's coming back off heheh.. we went to the races this weekend... a friend of mine races a cruiser and two super stock cars and so I went to cheer for them. Was a great night! I'll catch you ladies later... take care and have a great (and safe) weekend!

Huggerz...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hey Ladies

Sue congrats on the weight loss, WTG babycakes

Cathy, you've been doing alot of weight training, I'm wondering if the weight gain you've experienced isn't from that?

JudoMom, wow lady, thats alot on your plate...sheesh. I would for sure turn to food and I have. I've gained alot of weight back myself. These past few months have been soooooooo incrediably stressful w/my family (not DH but other family members, OY) not to mention my own mental issues. Works been really stressful as well. Hang in there an know that you have friends here who care and you can write as much or little as you want, it really does help to get things off your chest. Please know that you can always talk to us. I hope things work out for your son, it is so hard when your dealing w/depression. Also I never knew how much anger can come out of having ADD or ADHD...when one gets frustrated, its only natural to become angry and lash out. Whats sad is most of the time we don't understand why people do it. Hugs to you and don't give up, we're here for you.

HUGS !!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies

I woke up at 8 this morning....that sure is better than 9:30 or 10.......maybe things are looking up.....I feel good today....3 days in a row.....yipee!!!!!!!!!!!.....also have had 3 nights in a row that I fell asleep....& slept okay.

It is pouring rain.....looks like it did all night.....that's okay....we need it for the forest fires.

Cathy......I also think when we are stressed.....something happens to our bodies.....sometimes we gain weight.

Sue......thanks......the last 8 weeks have not been good.....trying to come off the Celexa.....hopefully I have turned a corner......I didn't know it could be that bad....coming off an antidepressant.

Hi Leenie

Well......I should go & have coffee now.

April
Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Ladies thank you so much!
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #10  

Default Hi everyone

Just a quick note to say hi .......am leaving for holidays tomorrow morning......so I will not be checking in until next weekend.....hang in there everyone!

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon Gang!

it is crazy at my house - teenagers everywhere. I'm trying to make a big gumbo for tomorrow night for a pastor friend of ours that is in from Honduras. His teenagers grew up with my teenagers and they have been missing each other big time so they are all hanging out and then they keep leaving and getting more teenagers to come hang out I know I know - just breathe! LOL

Anyway, I walked 2 miles this morning before getting ready for church. I was able to do that because all these teenagers were sound asleep from staying up the whole blooming night!

hope everybody is having a good day!

hugs,
cathy
Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #12  

Me again!

Leenie - I've wondered about building muscle since I've been using handweights a lot with my walking and then have added some strength training (resistance) with the Kathy Smith video, but I just figured if fat was turning to muscle that my clothes would be a little looser or something - seems like I would notice. Someone told me on the walking thread that muscle retains more water, so maybe it has something to do with that - whooooooooooooo knoooooooooooows with me! but I'm not giving up - no matter what!

SueMarie - yes I've been doing some reading about cortisol too. I've seen a little bit about Cortislim, but I can't find anybody that has anything good to say about it. I hear it is expensive, and I think there is a post on the Buyer Beware thread about it. You might want to check out what they have to say.

But I got a new magazine today called "Your Diet" from the publishers of People Magazine, and there is an article called "Is Fatigue Making you Fat?" In it is says....

"Studies have shown that sleep deprivation, compounded by a stressful lifestyle, may boost bloodstream levels of the fight-or-flight hormone cortisol - essential in an emergency, harmful over time. Cortisol is associated with a rise in insulin, which makes fat breakdown more difficult" and then it quotes some dr, and goes on to say "in response, the body craves sweet or fatty foods." hmmmmmmmmm sounds familiar to me. The article doesn't mention taking any supplments to help, but it talks about 1. Get some sleep, 2. Get smart about food and 3. Get moving (exercise). It says "Sleep, diet and exercise: Improve the first and the rest follows." I'm doing all of that so I hope my cortisol is paying attention to how I'm trying to be good to it so it will be good to me and breakdown some of this fat!!!!!

ok gang I will see ya'll here tomorrow.

nitey nite (yea right)

cathy
Old 07-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Night Kids

April Hugs !!
Cathy Hugs !!
JudoMom Double Hugs !!
BabyCakes Hugs !!
Liz, Happy Holiday/Vacation Hugs !!

Talk to you all tomorrow
Old 07-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #14  

Leenie.....I really needed a hug today......thanks.....today wasn't a very good day....for about 6 hours....I was so sad....this sadness that comes from withdrawing from the Celexa is worse than the sadness when I am in the depression in the winter.

I am still with ediets....not doing very well with food now....when I am really sad....just can't cope with dieting.

At ediets.....they have support boards....this one has a psychiatrist.....you can ask questions......& she answers them....it is so helpful......I have been asking her questions about the withdrawal of Celexa on & off since June....other questions as well....she answered me tonight....it can last as long as 2 months....the withdrawal symptoms & it can be very unpleasant....which it is....but in between I am feeling good.

April