Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #1  

Question Does depression cause or weight loss?

Hi all,
Is there any relation between depression and weight loss? What famous professor of Edward says about this thread: “When you are depressed, it is much harder to get out of bed, much less pay attention to what you are eating,” says Edward Abramson, PhD, an emeritus professor of psychology at California State University at Chico.
amazingsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #2  

Basically, I've lost about 30 pounds twice now and have gained about half of it back each time. It seems whenever I reach 170 lbs or so (only 10 lbs away from being in a healthy BMI for me), some event happens, I get incredibly stressed and end up saying Speed Testit'.

Last edited by amelbeabk; 04-14-2021 at 05:49 AM.
amelbeabk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:13 AM   #3  

The point is that you don't have the energy to eat or be active, then yes, you will lose weight, but at what cost. And when you get back to normal, the weight comes back. Not the best way to lose weight, I don't recommend it.
davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/215/180

Height: 5'8

Smile Sometimes

Guess it all depends how one deals with depression. Biologically, whether meds cause any weight gain, and genetics too. I added exercise into all my phases of dealing with sadness and depression. My exercise always helped me to pull my head out of the gutter.

Good luck with your research ? about depression and weight issues
1Roseygainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #5  

I think if you take your depression too seriously and you're a serious patient then maybe your weight will be lost as well.
When I was a depression patient I exercise daily and keep myself motivated and my weight was still same and I overcome this issue within less time.
Melissa_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:58 AM   #6  

I've always had problems with being overweight and I couldn't lose weight. It was difficult. So I decided that I would see a nutritionist. But it was hard for me to give up food. I would look at myself in the mirror and I just hated what I saw. I got depressed. And I didn't stop eating. I started eating more. Because I knew I couldn't lose weight. I saw on the internet an article about Steven Yohay. He was the CEO of his organization in the mental health industry. By all indications, I knew I was starting to have mental health problems. And I realized that I needed to solve them first and then I needed to lose weight.

Last edited by nicoll; 05-08-2022 at 06:46 AM.
nicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:36 AM   #7  

Actually it's inverted, depression helps in weight gain. Even I had gone through this stage in lockdown. I had gone through 3 acupuncture sittings and it really helped me a lot. I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by Neha12; 06-15-2022 at 12:02 PM. Reason: A small error
Neha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:26 AM   #8  

Hi, thanks for sharing such a beautiful quote with us. I will surely keep that in my mind.
MaryStockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:28 AM   #9  
banned

My depression was caused by my divorce from my husband... Roughly speaking I found out that he had registered on Tinder and started flirting with other girls. Understandably, it disappointed me. I found this out when I decided to install a spy app on his phone and see where he most often sits and with whom he communicates. Yes, maybe this is wrong on some level, but as you can see I suspected him for a reason. After the breakup I got terribly depressed, which caused me to gain weight. The only thing that calmed me down was meditation. I usually go to YouTube and play background music, for example
and then relax and calm myself in this way. I don't think many people would do that, but it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Maxxx17; 07-01-2022 at 03:38 AM.
Maxxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #10  

More than music, it helps you to take a look at your inner conscience so that you discover for yourself that divine laws must be followed to avoid continuing in the cycle of suffering and pain.
salo3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #11  

The point is that you don't have the energy to eat or be active, then yes, you will lose weight, but at what cost. And when you get back to normal, the weight comes back. Not the best way to lose weight, I don't recommend it.
mamarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #12  

Depression is a serious mental illness that can have a profound impact on an individual’s health. One of the potential consequences of depression is weight loss. While it is not clear if depression directly causes weight loss, there is a strong association between the two. Individuals who are depressed may lose interest in food and lose their appetite. This can lead to weight loss. Depression may also cause changes in metabolism, which can also lead to weight loss. In some cases, medications used to treat depression can also cause weight loss. While weight loss can be a symptom of depression, it is important to remember that not everyone who is depressed will experience weight loss. If you are concerned about your weight or your mental health, it is important to speak with your doctor.
larkbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #13  

A decrease in appetite brought on by depression can eventually result in accidental weight loss. Some people might view this as a beneficial side effect, but rapid or excessive weight loss might be dangerous to your health.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:06 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingsecrets View Post
Hi all,
Is there any relation between depression and weight loss? What famous professor of Edward says about this thread: “When you are depressed, it is much harder to get out of bed, much less pay attention to what you are eating,” says Edward Abramson, PhD, an emeritus professor of psychology at California State University at Chico.
Yes, there is a relation between depression and weight loss. Depression can affect a person's appetite, leading to changes in eating habits that can cause weight loss. Depression can also impact a person's motivation to exercise and engage in physical activity, which can contribute to weight loss as well. However, it's important to note that weight loss can also be caused by other factors, and it's essential to consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
cynthialopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, fat belly, reduce fat, weight gain, weight loss