Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230

Height: 5'1

Default My anxiety.

I feel overwhelmed by my I don't eat in public I feel like everyone looks at me with disgust. I'm sure none of these people even care about what I look like. I can see how it effects my diet, I run tho comfort food and I'm terrified of going to a gym. How do you get over this?
Hopefulfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #2  

Just start with little steps. How about doing some exercise DVDs at home? And chewing gum in public?
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulfatgirl View Post
I feel overwhelmed by my I don't eat in public I feel like everyone looks at me with disgust. I'm sure none of these people even care about what I look like. I can see how it effects my diet, I run tho comfort food and I'm terrified of going to a gym. How do you get over this?
I also suffer crippling anxiety. I cant go gym either so i order jillian michaels DVD work out to do at home
Start with the 30 day shred then try her others.
I have to force myself to do it 5 days a week but i do feel better afterwards and my body is more toned and my clothes are looser.
Try it
Hayley00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

With the gym - if you go with the attitude that "I am MOVING" and take small steps maybe that will boost your confidence in going. I am sure there are those there that will "think" something. Heck, I am limited by my PTs advice and can only go for 20 minutes and when I go there are only 1-2 people. Sure I wonder what they think, but at 5am, like me, they probably aren't thinking about much when they start out, let alone have a stop watch on me and what I am doing. Just keep telling yourself - I am here to move and exercise. And that can be a big first step, if it's easier for you to go earlier in the am, or later in the evening when maybe the gym isn't as full, that may help you too. Or bring a friend.

If you are more comfortable at home, there are lots of videos to try. If you feel starting with this is for you - then slowly work your way outside or to the gym. Just know any movement is a help with the weight loss.

You can do this!

Last edited by lemonthyme; 09-01-2017 at 10:25 AM.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300.7/292/175

Height: 5'9"

I can't bring myself to go to the gym either. I take medication for my anxiety but no medication takes it all away. I workout at home. I have a collection of DVD's so I can mix it up.
crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well, I won't say you'll never run into some jerk that makes a nasty comment. But I think most people respect people who are trying to eat right or get fit. When I used to go to the gym, there was a very large lady (400+) that came in. I always had this huge respect for her. She was trying to make a difference in her health. I never once saw any of the gym members give her the side-eye or be mean to her. I sometimes wish I'd talked to her, but I was afraid it would make her uncomfortable so I didn't.

However- I do most of my workouts at home now too. Not due to social anxiety but just due to time constraints and frankly I get better results at home. I was working out hard at the gym for an hour 3-4 days a week and didn't get the same results as doing (for example) the P90X program at home. Once I realized I could work out at home and save the money going to the gym membership, that's what I did. My favorites are: Jilliam Michael's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, The Supreme 90 Day Program (I think $20 on Amazon? It's a P90X knock off) and a number of Beachbody programs (P90X, Insanity, T25, Piyo). Beachbody has a streaming service now called "Beachbody on Demand" that has all their programs and the annual subscription is less than the cost of one program so it's a pretty good deal. They have a 30 day free trial, I think, if you wanted to try it.

I also walk outside and hike. And I do some exercise at work when it's slow- pushups, lunges, stuff like that. I am frequently alone in the office, I do those things when I'm alone.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/176/150

I can honestly say that every time I see a larger person out there exercising I want to yell out...YOU GO WITH YOUR BAD SELF! I'm always envious that they had the motivation to get out there. Because most of the time I'm driving in my car and have made countless excuses for not going to the gym.
Wendiendi is offline   Reply With Quote