Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #31  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

to brd88! please do join us here. even though you are not feeling the excitement i want to congratulate you on your upcoming doctoral study!! you MUST be a smart and ambitious person even if you dont feel it now! again welcome to our group

JesikaBeth wow congrats on your latest weight loss!! and very sorry you had the sad occasion of marking what would have been your mom's birthday

HI to everyone else!!

the sun is FINALLY shining here and we are mostly dug out from the 2 feet of snow.

I had my physical yesterday, and at first my bp was high but they took it again at the end of the visit and it was down at a better rate, guess I was just anxious (well the 20 mile drive over crappy snowy roads didn't help) And everything else is fine, EXCEPT he did say if I lost a little weight it would be good for me So now I know how much I weigh and it is almost at my highest from 15 years ago when I swore I would never get that high again. WHATEVER
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #32  
**Britt**

S/C/G: 167.8/157.8/125-129

Thank you for the welcome and for the congratulatory message!
I am really happy that I was accepted, but I think I just get into this "I-am-waiting-for-my-life-to-happen" funk, and it is so hard to pull myself out of it at times.

I usually am fatigued in general due to depression and being borderline anemic, but I have just been abnormally so lately. I am usually a very energetic (for someone with depression and anemia anyway) and social person, and now it seems like I only want to be in bed.

I am one of those people who doesn't take meds of any kind -- not even ibuprofen. I really do need to get a good therapist, though. I had one who was traumatizing and never went back, but I was in a really, really dark place a few years ago and I am deathly afraid of going back.

I was suffering horribly from panic attacks and sensory overload brought on by stress (a lot of family drama and losing both of my grandparents about 2 weeks apart) from summer until early January, but those have thankfully faded. At this point, I am really trying to commit to wellness for myself. I want to be healthier physically and mentally, and I want to have hope and be optimistic and enthusiastic again. I know it will take some work, but for now, I am looking to try to at least cut down on negative behaviors (binging and negative self-talk) and do some more inward reflection.

Last edited by brd88; 03-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.
brd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #33  
**Britt**

Holly, I know it sucks to feel like you're almost back where you were, but at least you didn't get as high (so you kept your promise to yourself!), and now you know and can make some changes! Are you following SB now?

Btw, you all can call me Britt instead of my user
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #34  
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesikaBeth View Post
Hi everyone

Coop -- It WAS AWFUL. And now I have bronchitis *SMH*

heartsnhappiness --
Piyo eh? I have heard the name. I'll have to google it though! I hope you enjoy it!

So I weighed in today, and lost another 4.6 pounds! Makes a loss of 9 pounds in 2 weeks. I'll take it

How is everyone this evening?

I'm at work. I have 1 hour to go until I go home. And gratefully so, I'm still sick and I'm ready for bed. LOL! Tomorrow is my Friday *whoohoo*

Tomorrow would have also been my mom's 54th birthday. My wife and I are going to the park that we spread our part of her ashes at, in order to celebrate/reflect, etc. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Well I'm off... Have a good evening, all
Hi Jesika, yeah, I have not ordered piyo yet. I'm looking at some other programs too before I make a final decision. I need to get moving, I am in such bad shape. I am even having nightmares about it.

I am sorry about your mom, Jesika. I am glad you have your wife for strength.

Congrats on the weight loss, that is such great news!!!!!
heartsnhappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #35  
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
to brd88! please do join us here. even though you are not feeling the excitement i want to congratulate you on your upcoming doctoral study!! you MUST be a smart and ambitious person even if you dont feel it now! again welcome to our group

JesikaBeth wow congrats on your latest weight loss!! and very sorry you had the sad occasion of marking what would have been your mom's birthday

HI to everyone else!!

the sun is FINALLY shining here and we are mostly dug out from the 2 feet of snow.

I had my physical yesterday, and at first my bp was high but they took it again at the end of the visit and it was down at a better rate, guess I was just anxious (well the 20 mile drive over crappy snowy roads didn't help) And everything else is fine, EXCEPT he did say if I lost a little weight it would be good for me So now I know how much I weigh and it is almost at my highest from 15 years ago when I swore I would never get that high again. WHATEVER
I am sorry you are down about your weight. Just do what you can do, Holly. Be thankful you are not at my weight, 300 lbs. Things can always be worse, they really can.

Despite my weight and being in such bad shape, my situation can always be worse. At least, I can get up and walk around, do some chores, move things around. I can't actually stand on my feet very long, my back is really bothering me. It has for years. After I lose some weight, I'm going to have my back looked at, again. I'm going to insist that they do something about it. I deserve to be able to stand on my feet.

Much love to you, Holly. I hope the snow situation has improved.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #36  
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd88 View Post
I'm new here - hope I can post. I suffer from depression and anxiety, and lately I have been struggling with abnormally chronic fatigue. I feel generally unsatisfied with how I go about my days and even though I have exciting things coming in the future (I will be starting doctoral study in the fall), I can't seem to get excited about it right now while in the midst of how I'm currently feeling. I am pretty much just feeling blah in all areas of my life, and I feel like a failure.
HI Britt, Welcome to the thread. We are so happy to have you join us. The ladies here are so wonderful, they truly care.

That sounds so exciting about your doctoral study. Does that mean you are trying to get your PHD?

I know it's hard when you know you have things in your life that you can be happy about but currently you find yourself down. I have wonderful things happening in my life but I am a little down. Despite this, I am so incredibly grateful for things being good.

I guess I should tell you that I am not new to the board nor this thread. I lost my log in information a few days ago and could not log in. I had to re-register under this name. You can call me Lisa though.

Once again, welcome to the thread.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #37  
lisa

Not much happening here, ladies.

I have a dentist appt later in the month, on the 28th at 1 pm. It will be quite a drive for me but I need to go. I have a tooth that is bothering me and several front teeth that need work and probably more I am not aware of.

I started a period a few days ago. I hardly get them anymore but I have one this month. It's actually not too bad, I usually flood when I do have a period but not this time.

I have been reading more since I moved in here. I have almost finished a book, which is really good for me.

The house is coming along. I haven't done much with it lately but I did some work on it yesterday and today. One of these days everything will be put away and boxes gotten rid of. I am just soooooo thankful to have moved in here and to have this place to live in. My washer and dryer are finally, finally working. woooooooooooooo I have been doing a load of laundry a day. It's so wonderful to have clean smelling clothes to put on.

Anyway, that is enough blabbering for now. Have a wonderful Friday, ladies. Much love to all.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #38  
**Britt**

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement, Lisa!
And yes, I will be starting a doctoral program in the fall. Fingers crossed that I actually graduate in the 4 years they've projected since I already have an MA.
I also am trying to be much more grateful. I did a bit of self-care on my lunch break -- took care of some neglected errands and treated myself to a mani-pedi. I know that I always feel better when I actually put in effort, so I am going to try to be more mindful of doing so.
I HATE the dentist, but I hope your appointment goes smoothly!
Did you just move?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #39  
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd88 View Post
Thank you for the welcome and encouragement, Lisa!
And yes, I will be starting a doctoral program in the fall. Fingers crossed that I actually graduate in the 4 years they've projected since I already have an MA.
I also am trying to be much more grateful. I did a bit of self-care on my lunch break -- took care of some neglected errands and treated myself to a mani-pedi. I know that I always feel better when I actually put in effort, so I am going to try to be more mindful of doing so.
I HATE the dentist, but I hope your appointment goes smoothly!
Did you just move?
Britt, that is awesome. Like someone already mentioned, you must be really smart.

I know what you mean, I feel better when I just wash my face. I have an electric brush that spins in circles. My face feels so good after I use it.

I know, I'm not too thrilled about having to go but I don't have a choice. I really need help with my teeth.

I did just move. The house is slowly coming together. I'm going through boxes, and ripping up boxes. The last 7 months of my life have been awful. I'll tell you more about it later.

again, welcome to the thread.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #40  
lisa

Today is the one year anniversary of my mom passing. She's been on my thoughts all day.

Sleep well tonight, ladies. Much love to all.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #41  
**Britt**

Sending you all my positive vibes, Lisa.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #42  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Oh Lisa, I'm sorry you had the sad one year anniversary of your Mom's passing. I remember at one point your avatar was of you, your Mom, and your daughter, very nice 3 generation pic

It IS such a nice simple pleasure to have freshly washed and dried clothes isnt' it!

and yes I am grateful I didn't gain more..and I really don't have that much to lose, in perspective, to make myself feel better. And truly i am grateful that I CAN move around and do stuff, as you are grateful for also. as i told my husband, I am my own worst enemy unless it's my dreadful winter boss talking about me behind my back, which he has done before, about gaining weight well we know that he is a soul-less microbe and I shouldn't care what he thinks or says.

I looked up Piyo, wow what bodies!! and seems like a very low impact but high intensity workout that one can modify. If I had an extra 60 bucks floating around I'd buy the set of dvd's I saw advertised. But I'll just look on utube for them maybe

Britt, wow you already have a Masters? you ARE a smart chick I'm very sorry to hear of you losing 2 grandparents and so close in time last year.
I have done South Beach before, and about a week ago I completed 10 days with no sugar or flour, then crashed and went eat-crazy

We had brilliant sun and blue sky ALL day today!! It even started melting some of the epic snowfall we got. Go away snow I shoveled some snowbanks back to facilitate more melting.

Hello to Kathleen, JesikaBeth, Coop, Monica, Cinnamonhearts, and our other relative newbies, please say Hi
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #43  
**Britt**

Holly, I am thinking of picking up PiYo as well! There's a studio right by my house.
Thank you for the condolences.
And yes, I just graduated in May! Working has been a nice little break from school, but I am more than ready to head back.
And I can relate with your "eat-crazy" sentiments. I did the keto diet for about 6 months. I lost almost 50 pounds, and they all came back in a matter of weeks because I started binging on ALLLLL the carbs.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #44  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Lisa: Sending big hugs for the one year anniversary of your mom's passing yesterday. That had to be an emotional day for you. Glad to hear that you are enjoying some reading while in your new home. I'm just so happy to know that you are in your own place again!

Britt: Good for you for practicing some self-care and getting that mani-pedi! It's so important to put yourself first sometime! I agree, too, about being grateful. Sometimes it's easy to forget to do and get caught up in the negative, but being grateful can have a positive snowball effect, too, by attracting more things to be grateful for into our lives (or at least noticing them)! So let's do it, ladies!!! That will go a long way toward pulling you out of your "funk" by giving you some positive energy. So happy to see you keep posting!

Holly: Glad to hear that your physical went well for the most part. I hope you really are taking your doctor's words, "if you lost a little weight, it would be good for you" in the proper context. He did say "a little" and you said you aren't all the way back up to your highest weight from 15 years ago. And, my gosh, that was 15 years ago!!! It is so much harder to lose weight as we age, as you know. Please take it easy on yourself. You are one tough cookie, as evidenced by the way you kick @ss on those mounds of ice and snow on your driveway!!! You would never be able to do that if you weren't in good shape! So go more by how you feel than that stupid number on the scale. It's just a number. So happy to hear that, at least as of yesterday, the sun was finally shining there! Hope it continues to shine for you! How many more weeks of work do you have for the r@t b@st@rd?

JesikaBeth: Congratulations on your awesome weight loss!!! I hope that you and your wife had a special outing and good weather at the park to celebrate and reflect and remember your mom on her birthday. Wow... 54... she sure was young! Still thinking of you as you go through this difficult journey and process of grieving.

Coop: We haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope all is well. I know you had said that you took on another project recently, so I imagine that you are staying very busy. Pop in when you can, if only to say hello!

Waving hello to Monica, Cinnamonhearts, & anyone else who might be lurking!

I am doing well for the moment. Things are calm at home, which greatly influences my state of mind at any given time. I think I mentioned that my son met a girl in his Psychology class. Things continue to go well with her, which is a huge boost for him. He recently went back to therapy, which he desperately needs. I found him alone in the dark... crying... in our basement very late one night recently. We talked for awhile that night, but he tends to hold everything inside... even with his therapist, so ~ with his permission ~ I went with him to his most recent appointment because I wanted to be sure certain things were addressed in his session. I am trying to keep on him to make follow-up appointments each week, so that he stays consistent with his therapy. I have stressed to him how vital it is to his mental and emotional health right now. This girl has given him extra incentive to get healthy so that he can be in a healthy relationship, because she really seems "with it," well-rounded, and very down to earth. I think she sees the goodness in him (which there is a lot of) and is actually trying to help him to see it in himself. I am very thankful that she came into his life when she did (regardless if this goes anywhere or not). An answer to prayer, I believe. Anyway, sorry to ramble on about him, but as you know, I have been consumed with worry about him for such a long time now, so I am relieved that all is well ~ at least for the moment. Otherwise, my eating has been a bit better in the sense that I am cutting myself off sooner during my meals... when I am just satisfied or beginning to feel full... instead of stuffing myself. I'm not doing this all of the time, but trending toward this more often than not now. That is one of the major factors in how I lost weight in my coaching program last year, so I am hopeful that it will help again in my weight loss efforts. My workouts need to get much more consistent. I often work out a few days in a row and then fall off the wagon for several days before getting consistent again. I really want to get to a point where I work out most days of the week and at least one day on the weekend. I recently started putting little stars on my calendar on the days I work out, so that I can track my progress. So, overall, I am back to putting more effort into the weight loss process. I hope my efforts will pay off!

IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #45  

I love this little community. I have been away for a week or two, but am back Mostly, I was feeling too depressed to post.

Coop – Thank you for your kind words I felt pretty depressed since I last posted and did not attend the gym until last week. I did however decide I could commit to the gym three days a week instead of four, so it became more tolerable...on my other free day I can do something else in the mornings. It is hard to explain, I didn’t want to be around others and I also felt boxed in quite a bit. When you lose weight and you get used to exercise frequently...sometimes, even if you are doing everything you are supposed to do in terms of exercise and diet, you can feel really boxed in. Before it all might have been new and exciting, but at a certain point it is like – is this what the rest of my life is going to look like? Go to the gym 5, 6, 7 days a week and eat according to my plan or feel like everything is going to come crashing down? Thanks for sharing your experience, yes – for me, I just say hi to the receptionist and that is pretty much it. But it felt like I had a place to go, something regular to do (like a routine), and a place that I belonged to.

So, last week I went three times and it felt less pressured and more relaxed. It went really well Thank you for asking.
I did not get my prescription; the doctor’s visit was a bit of a nightmare actually. After multitasking and barely listening to a word I said, she told me she felt that I just wanted the medication to lose weight. I corrected her and said, actually, I had already lost 120 pounds and wasn’t looking to take meds to lose weight. I follow a weight loss plan that is sensible and have been doing so for three years (or whatever) and also exercise. I was looking for medical help with a binge eating disorder that was getting out of control. She just kept on sort of smiling and sort of laughing and repeating that I just wanted to lose weight. She wasn’t hearing anything I said. I actually said I would be interested in any alternative therapies. I kid you not, she said that my problem is that I have trouble controlling my impulses and that anti depressants would help that. She started writing out a prescription for it even though I said I wasn’t interested. I then said, don’t most anti depressants actually make you gain weight/increase your appetite? She said that she had picked one for me that had the weight gaining effect, but not as much as others. Ok, that is not going to help me at all.

Seriously Coop I felt so humiliated. She even said, Vyvanse is not used for binge eating disorder it is used for headaches. So not true, I have done my research – looks like she didn’t do hers. It is approved in my country for binge eating disorder. It was such a horrible appointment, I felt like I told someone my most intimate details and they just threw it back in my face.

Regarding the CBT techniques – I am still practicing these. I feel like the last few weeks have been so tough. These are helping me hang on until there is some sort of relief. I am loving doing video journaling – it has been so helpful! I am going to do a separate post with some updates and comments about my video journaling.

Coop – hope everything is going well with you. I am glad that your sister and your family received good news!

VermontMom (Holly?)– Congratulations regarding your achievements with the SB diet! I am glad that your snow is almost gone. About your yogurt – can you get an unsweetened/artificial sugar jam made for diabetics to mix with your plain yogurt? I used to mix jam with plain Greek yogurt all the time and it is delicious. About your boss..I agree, it is best not to think about what he thinks. Some people....I can’t imagine commenting or thinking negatively about someone else’s weight.

Kathleen – hope you are doing well I really like reading your posts. I think that it is excellent that you are able to see a counsellor/family therapist. I bet it was nice to positive feedback – that you are laughing more. Congrats on your seven pound weight loss!!! I am glad to hear that things have smoothed out at home. I can definitely relate to family conflict having a big effect on your state of mind. You sound like an amazing mom. I am glad your son is able to see a therapist. I am so glad he found a nice, down-to-earth girl! It might give him a different perspective of how other people perceive life, just like with me and my husband. I have learned so much from him – he is so laid back and has a healthy outlook. He also says I have taught him lots too, so that is nice.

That is an interesting technique – cutting yourself off earlier in the meal. I might look into it. It is nice that you are able to recognize that it is an area that you excel in.

Lisa – So excited to hear that you are getting all settled in! I am glad to hear that you got a bed, bedding etc. I always skimped on sheets and blankets...mostly got everything second hand and well loved from family. I recently bought a new to me bedroom set and bought brand new sheets. It is such a nice comfort, isn’t it??? The bedroom set is solid wood and provided much needed organization for our clothes. I have never bought a bedroom set before. Anyways, so I am very excited for you!

Lisa, you are always such an inspiration! I always love reading about the nice things you are doing for yourself and the things you are doing towards obtaining your goals (weight wise and other wise).

Jesika – Congrats on your weight loss Hope that you have a great week. My thoughts are definitely with you and your wife (I am sorry; I know I am responding quite a bit later to your saying that you were celebrating your mom's birthday).
Cinnamonhearts is offline   Reply With Quote