Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Ups and Downs Support Group, Nov. 2015

to all, this is where you can come to make friends who are also under the grip of depression, anxiety, etc. Or you can come to just let your feelings out. We have a few regulars but all are welcome. As the title suggests, we are here for your downs AND your ups, because thank goodness sometimes we have Ups too

Lisa, I am so sorry your poor daughter is having such a rough time. I hope so much that her current meds are helping. You are a great, loving mom to care so for her. I hope you are doing OK, you said your school work is helping to distract you?

Kathleen, I have a lady friend here in town who also has lymphedema as is also a breast cancer survivor; I knew she had to wear the compression sleeve for a while but I know she does not wear it anymore so maybe you won't have to either. The winter job is OK so far, with the usual occasional weirdo customer, some lady cawed like a bird the other day when we said hello (???) and a man told me I looked 'like a big pumpkin' when I was wearing an orange tunic-type top. Well I guess I will never wear that top again.

EasySpirit, CONGRATS on being off all meds and managing with doing yoga and meditation!!! and being a 'normal' weight!! YOU are an inspiration to us!!

BlueCat, to our group, nice to meet you it is great that you have been able to reduce your sugar intake some, that is always helpful but so hard to do. I am sorry that when you tried to go off meds it was horrible. I also take Wellbutrin, have for years, and am petrified to even think of going off.

I have not kept up with my plan of working out maybe I can this morning, now that I've publicly shamed myself I think I worked out twice in a week, I really want to get back to at least 5X a week, it is so good for me.

My motorcycle is not put away yet! we are going to get some mild weather this week (nights in 40's, days in 60's) so I am glad she is still ready for me.

Please check in to say hi
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/238/190

Height: 5-6

Hello
I am new to 3FatChicks forums and I am really glad I found it. I have been struggling all my life being over weight and fighting mental health issues. I am 24 years old and so tired of the yo-yo, not only in my weight but emotionally. I have cyclothymia, a mild form of bi-polar disorder. I am a compulsive over eater. It is hard to manage my moods and eating.

My most recent struggle is gaining 30lbs over the last 16 months. It is really affecting my moods. I want/need to lose that weight and then some.

I think starting to join a community of people who are going through the same thing as me will be motivating. As much as my family and boyfriend are the most wonderful supporters they just don't exactly understand.
2gabsxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #3  
full of thanks

VM,

Thank you so much for starting the Nov. thread. I totally forgot all about it. I have had my hands full with Jennifer. She is still crying and unable to work. I feel so helpless and part of me actually feels like I am going through this depression myself. It is exhausting. I went today and got her some Ensure, Jennifer is not eating much. I keep telling her things will get better. I promise her things will get better. I hope I'm right. I'm really scared.

School is keeping me busy. I need to do my reading for the week, it's a lot. I also have discussions to do and assignments to do. I have 2 projects due, writing papers, 1 on week 6 and 1 on week 7. They are both big papers, like several paragraphs, each one. I honestly don't know how I'm going to get them both done.

I am still working in the mornings 6 to 8 am.

Welcome to the thread, 2gabsxo!!!!!!! It's great to have you here. I understand about your weight. I am the biggest I've ever been, right now.

I miss all you other ladies. I hope you are doing well.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 228/155

Height: 5'6

Hi. I'm new here. I'm 40 and have struggled with depression and weight my entire life. Recently I've really been struggling with my weight. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been and am having a difficult time stopping eating and eating healthy. It's nice to see that there are people out there in this forum that truly understand.
blkcatlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #5  
full of thanks

Hi blkcatlvr,

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the thread.

We are so glad to have you with us. You are right, we all have an idea how you are feeling. I am at my biggest right now, it sucks. I still love myself but there is a time when my weight has to stop. I guess I just don't know how to start on the right path. I will find it eventually.

We are a small but mighty group, I'd like to think we are close. We lose members and mourn their loss. Some never come back and it's hard but we must respect their choices.

So anyway, welcome to the group, blkcatlvr!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default New... Again

Hi, everyone. My name is Digging Deep and I have really been struggling lately. I've moved to the Bay Area from Southern California about a year and a half ago and immediately took a high-stress job straight out of grad school. Since the last year of grad school and then my move, I've been steadily gaining weight (15-20 lbs). I feel like I'm now stress-eating to manage my anxiety and depression at work. I feel so lost. I work out and still don't lose weight because I'm eating utter ****. I used to bring my lunch to work, cook all the time, eat at home, etc. Now, I feel like I'm shuffling from one miserable place (work) to another (living with 2 roommates for the first time in my life because housing here is so effing expensive and HATING it). Sorry for the rant. I'm really sick of this weight and am ready to really start losing it. My one ray of hope and "sane place" is when I'm with my boyfriend in the City on weekends. He is my rock... and frustratingly skinny!! Haha. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #7  
full of thanks

: Welcome, welcome, welcome, Digging Deep!!!!!!!!

You are such a sweetheart, you are so lucky to have your bf. We all need people who are understanding but love us the way we are. We are thrilled to read your post here and hope you come back again to join out little group. We all here have SO much going on in out lives besides our weight issues and mental health issues. It is a great place to vent. We really come to love each other and care about each other. My daughter is sick right now, badly sick. We are waiting on her new medicine (Effoxor) to kick in until then she cries and it is effecting her job greatly. It scares me and breaks my heart. I am going through this depression with her. She needs me and I am not going to let her down.

Hello friends, I hope this post finds you all well. I am hanging in there, so much on my plate right now but my meds are keeping me in the game. (I think) lol

I feel a little weak today, down and not at my best. Considering all that is going on, I am not surprised I am having a down day.

I will check back in tomorrow. Much love to all.

Last edited by Lisaluvshearts; 11-04-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #8  

Default Thanks for the warm welcome

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the warm welcome message. Sorry to hear that your daughter is so sick. I am sending good thoughts your way. It is so nice to know that someone else out there cares about little old me and my weight loss struggles. <3

Today was a tough, stressful day at work. I got home and immediately ate 4 cookies and a quesadilla, then felt guilty about it. I'm not feeling working out tonight. It's so ****ing cold outside, I can't stand it! (I know I'm a whimp out here in California but, in LA, it was less than 60 degrees F out maybe 3xs/year.) It's 52 degrees here and I want to curl up under my blanket with the space heater on and never leave! Haha.

Writing about it makes me feel less guilty about eating the cookies and quesadilla. There are worse things in life. Going to call the boyfriend and get some sleep. Tomorrow, I'll get out to the gym. I went the last 2 days in a row and my anxiety/perfectionism will not cripple me feeling good about myself and listening to my body when it's tired!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #9  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone,

Pretty much a month into the Depakote and I’m kinda feeling better. But, I’m planning a pregnancy within the next year and I would really like to switch to something that A: handles my depression better; B: is compatible with pregnancy and breastfeeding so I won’t have to switch later and C: will not cause weight gain. I have an appointment with my doc next week so we’ll see what she says!

How are you all doing?
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #10  

Hi All,

Ended up working out yesterday so I'm definitely taking today off. I'm really struggling right now with over-eating just complete garbage. I know this thread is about depression but I was wondering if anyone else tends to binge eat when stressed or sad or angry or, really, to deal with any emotion.

Hugs,
DD
Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #11  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Hey Digging:

I comfort eat when stressed. I think it's because I really hate the feeling of being hungry and so i know eating will make at least that feel better. For me, it's a control thing, which is ironic because I eating out of control portions when I feel like my hunger is the only thing I can control.

Do you follow a specific meal plan? As a compulsive over-eater I've found the very low carb keeps me in check. I'm not advocating that's the right plan for you but sometimes it can be helpful.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #12  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking Love the support here!!!

Hello Everyone! It is so wonderful to log on and see so much support flowing in the group! HOORAY for US!!! It really does make a difference for me to know that there are others out there struggling with the same or similar issues as me. So thank you ALL for being here and I am sending a BIG to the new group members!!! Thank you so much for having the courage to post and join us. Reaching out for help is often the first step in getting healthier. And I may be biased, but I think our little group is just AWESOME!!! We have weathered many ups & downs together and having each other here makes things a bit more manageable..... or at least provides a little comfort when we need it most.

Lisa: I am so very sorry to hear that Jennifer is still having such a rough time! I am keeping her (and YOU) in my prayers. Trust that she WILL get better. I can see how heartbreaking this must be for you and how you would go through your own depression as you watch her suffer. I am sending you strength and prayers and big hugs!!!

Holly: Thank you so much for starting the new November thread! I am so happy and thankful to still have you and Lisa here ~ and now the other new members ~ for support. I am also happy to hear that you may have squeezed in a few more rides on your motorcycle! I know how much you love it! Glad to hear that your weather hasn't turned bitter cold for you yet! So the winter job is going at least decent so far? How is your old crabby boss?!? Or should I not even ask? I know you will get back on track with your workouts. Be patient with yourself. You can do it! I am rooting for YOU!!!

IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #13  
full of thanks

Hello ladies,

It is great to see so many posts!!!!! Much love to all of you, I hope you feel strong today.

I went to my job interview yesterday after having surgery on my ear. I was so sick to my stomach, I had a puke bag in my purse but I gave a damn good interview. Either that or they just felt sorry for me and hired me. I had a cup over my ear to put pressure on it. I looked like Princess Leia.

I have to take STNA classes first, pass my boards, tests and whatever they throw at me and then I will have a second part-time job. I am already an HHA now. This new job requires that I am a certified state nursing assistant.

I am quite excited.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #14  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I'm really glad I saw this thread. I have dealt with depression and panic attacks all my life. It's led me right into the arms of food again and again. At only 5 feet tall, carrying 200 pounds is a lot. Supposedly I'm supposed to be between 94- 125 to be in "normal range." I have a toddler and a newborn and I really want to be that active mom that is running around with them and playing and helping them practice soccer and stuff. Right now I kind of feel like a failure, cause I barely can chase my oldest around the house. Anytime I get depressed I go right for the food. Tracking with myfitnesspal has been helping a lot, but I still ended up binging on Halloween candy on my days off. 70-80 pounds seems like such a steep mountain to climb..... Anway, thanks for listening to me ramble.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #15  
full of thanks

Welcome, tehshort1, to our wonderful little thread!!!!! We are so glad to have you here with us. You will find much support in this thread. I try to post everyday or every other day. It is a great place for me to vent. Once again, welcome we are thrilled to have you.

My ear is still hurting after my surgery on Thursday. I have a creme to put on it, an antibiotic pill and Vicodin to take for pain. It takes cartilage a while to heal so I have a feeling the pain isn't going to go away for a while.

I have a lot to do today, catch up on homework mostly. The next few weeks, I will be studying for my Graphic Arts degree and my STNA. (state tested nursing assistant) I have a job lined up but I must be my STNA license first. Jennifer is worried about me, she doesn't think I can handle the load. I think I can put my mind to anything I want. It isn't going to be easy, that is for sure, but I can do it. I am strong and smart. My meds are working great and I really want this.

I am going to watch Nascar and Football today, plus do homework. I already did a load of laundry getting ready for tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Last edited by Lisaluvshearts; 11-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.