Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Visionary, the walk sounds like a good start, me My "stress" today wasn't anything near as serious as yours and I ate chicken nuggets. So yeah, walking was a GOOD thing, an amazing choice to make.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/265/135

Smile

Have not gained anything but not losing at this moment.

It's interesting that no matter how positive a spin I put on everything, I can feel the stress in my body.

So, will be going on another walk today and I'm sure it will help.

So I guess a great question would be in times of stress, how do you shift your thinking so that you take care of yourself and your health even though the stressful circumstances are still in your life? Or better yet, how go you become even more centered and even get rid of many unnecessary stressful things in your life?

I have to say sometimes just being an adult and being responsible about things is stressful.

It would be fun to come up with a list of creative ideas to beat stress and embrace healthy bodies.
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #18  

Height: 1'7.5"

Visionary, first, congratulations on focusing on what you need to do. The stress you have been under could LITERALLY make somebody ill. Secondly, the events in your life are unusually pressing. A sick child and losing your home rate right up there with some of the most intense of situations.
First, I would say, if it is possible at all, try to get some emotional support through some kind of counseling. You need somebody who is there JUST FOR YOU, so you can take care of those around you who need you, like your child.
Secondly, perhaps you might consider focusing on doing those things that will make you feel successful, no matter how small the steps . It is so very difficult to feel such loss of control and somehow go forward without thinking about the events.
If part of your program is to take a walk, you can tick that off as one positive thing that you've been able to control that day. I think it is important to do whatever you can to feel that you've achieved some success each day.
Perhaps a short list of daily goals will keep you on track. As you look at it, at the end of the day, you can evaluate it by seeing a row of checks running down your list. This may include wt. loss program items, but it need not be limited to them.
You are right, it IS difficult to be an adult sometimes and being a parent with a sick child makes this so much more stressful. Adding the loss of your home, your shelter, your safe place, makes this doubly hard. Perhaps you can include in your list some fun activities with your child. This will add to the joy of being able to check off successful attempts at staying healthy, focused on positive interactions (not easy when you are in the midst of loss) and cheer up your kid too, regardless of age and medical condition.
Good luck to you.

Last edited by boomerang; 09-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/265/135

Smile Living Life, Losing Weight In-spite of STRESS

Just had some bad news and felt upset....but this time it was DIFFERENT. I immediately planned and went for an hour walk. I drank a big thing of water and just let me mind focus on what I could do about the situation. Something about nature that just helps the mind to think clearer.

Needless to say, I am staying on my program, feel really proud of myself because for the last 15 years this is the point where I would just give up and go back to my not so good behaviors.

So stress happens, but how I deal with it is changing and for that I am very grateful. I know that just getting on this forum and getting support....and reading alot about nutrition and healthy lifestyle changes is giving me an entirely new out look on life no matter what happens.

With all the health issues I had at my highest weight, I know I am saving and giving myself a life...wow. I am no longer feeling like a victum!!!
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Visionary that is so awesome! Yeah for healthy habits!I am getting back into mine, when you get to the point where you react to stress by saying (and meaning) I've really gotta workout! I think thats positive. I need to get back to that point...
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote