Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #1  

Default Monday January 6th

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Thought I'd post this little poem to "WAKE" us all up this morning!

Hope everyone is doing well, have a great day~~~Meg

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt-
I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"
So, away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished "
Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie-not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!
Old 01-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #2  
Peg

Hi Meg,

I loved your poem, it makes such good sense.

Here we are in January hoping to start a really good year, I have been feeling much more determined, I hope it stays.

Gotta go need to make a dr. appt.

LadyPal
Old 01-06-2003, 10:43 AM   #3  

Talking Good morning!

....or so I am trying to convince myself~

Why oh why do I find back to school so tough...I am afraid my negative attitude may be brushing off on dd11 who was quite moody this morning....though I did try and fake it....woke the kids up singing and tickling them....ahhhh.....

Anyhow they are gone and I am having my Special K and coffee....see this is why I can' t post on low carb....I love carbs!

Today is my darling son's birthday What a wonderful day this was 9 years ago.....I feel pretty good about everything...it helps when I prepare myself a head of time...talking, remembering, viewing his video etc.

Meg I enjoyed the poem....though I had these revelations 10 days ago...I take down the tree, deep clean and take all of my goodies and baking to work...did that and it felt quite good! I am the closest to being on program than I have been for months and months. I worked all weekend which helps get me on track. So far I am only working a four hour eve tonight from 330-730 pm. Four hours go so fast!

Ladypal good luck at the doctors.

Well hope you all have a great day. I will be in and out today! Happy Ukranian Xmas eve if it applys to any of you.

My goals for today are to do the dishes and tidy the kitchen and tidy my bedroom which has been neglected over the holidays since it is upstairs and out of sight! I will continue to drink water and not let myself get too hungry!

Bye for now!

Eliz

Last edited by liz321; 01-06-2003 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Busy at work, Just checking in quickly!

Liz - I am sending you a great big hug today!

Hugs to all to come!

Cathy
Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #5  

Well, time to post! I have a meatloaf in one crockpot and baking potatoes in the other. Yes, we can bake potatoes in one! You just scrub them and wrap em in aluminum foil and put them in! I guess it's 8-10 hours on LO or 4 on HI! Great! Now, in summer I don't have to turn on the oven for baked potatoes!
Started my lifestyle change today! I had a mixed fruit salad for breakfast. Wasn't hungry enough to have toast or cereal though. Lunch will be a salad and a Smart One entree. Put a lemon slice in my water jug...that helps! If I get hungry in the afternoon, I have the famous WW soup in individual containers in the freezer!
Evenings in front of the TV are going to be my biggest challenge. We love to snack then. Nice salty stuff that makes me bloat!
See you later!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #6  

Good morning,

I went for my first light therapy treatment this morning. I had to get up at 7:15 A.M......was that ever hard....since mid November...have been waking up between 9:30 & 10:30 A.M.....then finding it really hard to get out of bed.

So into the shower I went.....that made me feel better. Before I went for the light treatment....I had these thoughts in my head.....that I wanted to live back east in the same city that my birth family lives in....the counsellor said that is the depression talking.....so anyway I went for the treatment....for a half an hour....then DH & I went to Tim Horton's for coffee after.

We are sitting there having our coffee....& I am thinking......these thoughts about wanting to move back east are ...like 95% gone....I seem to feel better. So I will just have to wait & see if the light therapy works.

Leenie....even after 4 weeks of the antidepressant being doubled....I was still feeling feeling really down & depressed.....but after 1 light treatment...I feel a lot better.

Judo Mom.....Thanks about the light....I can buy it here.

Meg..... I have seen that poem. It's cute...my aunt sent it to me.

Have a great day everyone.

April
Old 01-06-2003, 02:55 PM   #7  

Love the poem Meg.

Liz I love carbs too. It is to hard for me to give them up. I to am sending a hug and warms thoughts your way.

Tippy I am just now trying new things in my crockpot. Meatloaf sounds good.

April I am not to familiar with light therapy but I am glad to hear that you are feeling better.

It has been kind of busy here. I thought we would be since it is the begining of the year and all. Everyone has the same resolutions to lose weight. I saw an ad for Dr. Phil telling a woman that paying for the gym wasn't going to make her lose weight, going to the gym would. I hope that will push more people into my doors.

I had a great time at my brother wedding. I need to remeber that Effexor (they changed it again) and alcohol don't mix. Boy talk about hit me like a ton of bricks. Before I knew it I had had to much. At least I feel better now. Saturday wasn't that fun.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #8  

Liz, Thinking about you today...hang on to those memories.

Tippy...WTG we can do it!!

April...so glad you feel better and so glad you found some help.

Kemp...as far as I know...booze and antidepressants don't go Glad you had a good time though and glad you feel better. My dil runs our local "Curves" and they are breaking the doors down to get in!! You must love this time of the year!!

Hello to everyone else...have a great rest of the day!

Meg
Old 01-06-2003, 03:34 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Happy late afternoon all !

Your Cute Meg

Liz I still post on the LC boards even though I havent been LCing. Today was my first day at the diet. 2 hard boiled eggs in the am, fur lunch it was a hamburger w/pickles (no bread) and a salad w/teeny bit of blue cheese so far so good. Tonight it will be something light, maybe a teeny piece of chicken and some rice & veggies.....dunno yet? Oh and of course my picture of coffee

Did I mention I am home, yup still sick hack hack ! Tomorrow I must go in. Lots of folks were out today so I don't feel bad (my friend from work called me )

April getting up at 7:15 seems like a dream to me, I ususally get up at 4:45 am......ICK. Hope those light sessions go well, you really deserve to feel happy, your such a nice woman.

Tippy is the queen of the crock.........pot that is so Kem any recipies, she's the one to go to.... except the mac & cheese ??? I can't remember Tip which one was gross. I love my crock pot too. Love to make chili in it ........... hmmmmmmmmmmm !

Lady I hope we all stay this way too, wouldn't it be wonderful. I threw out all my cookies (sorry Linny) and junk last night so I wouldn't be tempted. But get this, my fav candies are M&M's w/pnuts. The second is the plain. I have a 3 LB BAG (plain) in my cabinet that I can live with. I can take 4 or 5 little pieces and be happy.........go figure. Everything else I feel I must stuff in my face? I'm like Tippy lately, the saltier the better.

Cathy, I'm so glad you still check up on us, I guess you've known us to long not to How are you lovely lady. Hope your not getting anymore rain, I'm starting to think your states emblem should be "THE SOGGY ONE"

Linny binnie bo minnie......... how's the exercise and eating going. Sorry I'm not at work to entertain you today but hack hack hack.

Its so cold here today (well its really me) its 40 degrees outside and I'm frozen ??

Did you see Al Roker on TV lately, I saw him today on the am show and he looks horrible.... I mean its so teriffic that he's losing weight but his face just doesn't look healthy, its to weird to explain.....just look at him when you get a chance.

Help I'm yappin and I can't shut up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Byeeeeeeeeeee.

Love, Leenie
Old 01-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #10  

For crockpot recipes, go to www.justcrockpotrecipes.com
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #11  

Hi again,

Kemp......Light Therapy is usually give for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Most of my depression has been in the fall & winter....on & off for the last 22 years. So at Mental Health here...the counselor said that I should try the lights to see if they work....if they work...I will buy one. Today I feel so much better....than I have in weeks....so I am going to hang in there.

April
Old 01-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #12  

This is going to sound crazy but would a tanning bed have the same affect?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:10 PM   #13  

About tanning beds....it doesn't have the same effect as light therapy. I went to Google & looked up seasonal affective disorder & that is what it said. If this is going to work....I will buy one of those lights. They sell them here at a surgical supply store here. It is $248 Canadian. I am going to buy it....anything to make me feel better.

I read on Google that S.A.D. is common in families where there is alcohol in the background. My father, his father & most of the rest of his family drank too much....they didn't call it alcoholism back then.

If you go to Google & type in Seasonal Affective Disorder.....there is lots there about S.A.D.

I have been walking around here since the treatment today.....thinking....I haven't felt so good in a long time. I did read that people that have light therapy.....feel better.....often after one treatment.

April
Old 01-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

April.. I am SO glad you are feeling better...if you have an "off" day... just remember,, stick with it!!

Started my new job today... am I overwhelmed or what? *L.. but it went well.

Hope everyone had a fantastic day!

oooooohHH! and I stopped by Curves on my way home... I have a "tour" booked for Wed at 5... I think I'll probably join.. it looked fun and most of all.. motivating!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:36 AM   #15  

Didn't pop in yesterday as it was 3 King's Day. Just to say that I was thinking about you Liz. (((((Hugs))))))

Ann
Closed Thread