Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I sometimes get anxiety attacks due to PMDD (the nasty version of PMS). After two years of completely useless treatments, they decided to try me on diazepam (valium), another benzodiazepine. It's only 2mg, and sometimes I cut the tablets in half as they seem to be affecting me more strongly these days. Since I know that the anxiety is unlikely to last for more than a few days, I don't need to worry about problems related to overuse. It works very nicely for me.

Maybe try tracking how often you get these attacks, and note down possible triggers (including stress and your menstrual cycle)? Then you have better information to use when talking to the doctor. In my experience, doctors like it when you ring them up for a quick chat because you're concerned about using a drug carefully. It helps show that you are responsible, less likely to become an addict, and that you are keen on building a good working relationship with them. There's not much they can do for patients who don't take the meds (because of side effects, or fear of side effects) but never mention this to the doctor. Meanwhile, I imagine you'd be fine using it once or twice a week (jot this down too, obviously), and it's definitely better than being up half the night with an anxiety attack. I find that knowing that I have an effective treatment sitting in the bedside drawer does help the anxiety somewhat.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I am not sure if I have "anxiety attacks", but I have been experiencing a lot of stress lately due to some personal issues at home. I have taken my pulse when I'm feeling what I can only classify as an anxious episode, or "anxiety attack" and my heart beats about 105-110 beats per minute. I think that's high, right?

My doctor gave my a very low dose prescription for Xanax (.25 mg) to help me settle down for sleep, on occasion, when my mind is racing. But I'm reluctant to take it when I feel the anxiety like that, because I'm not sure if I'm actually having an anxiety attack or panic attack or whatever.

I'm going to speak with my doctor about it next week. Does anyone else have that same reaction to stress/anxiety? It's not so much that I can't function, but I do worry about the accelerated heart rate.
I'm not sure how fast my heart races but it goes super fast and beats so hard. For me, I have to hold my breath to try and get everything back on track. I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was 15 and it never gets easier. I believe that the racing mind is a sign of a panic attack.
On to the Xanax. I love it. I have been on different anxiety medications and this was the only med that help me. I am on 1 mg and I take it before bed. I sleep though the night and it was the ONLY med that stopped my mine from racing.
The issue with Xanax is there are some nasty side effects once your body is used to it so read up on it and make sure it's something you wanna try.
This should go without saying...don't drink any alcohol with it. I did it once (not thinking) and it caused me to black out but still be awake. Also, if you take TO MUCH (say 1 mg when you haven't taken more than .25mg it can cause you to also black out but be awake) Not trying to scare you but give you the heads up. Like I said, it was the only med that stopped the racing mind and allowed me to sleep finally.

Last edited by WinterCricket; 10-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.
WinterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 235/235/135

Height: 5' 6"

I have social anxiety and general anxiety disorders. I am currently taking Klonopin and its been good for me. I am tired of my weight issues and am determined to stay focused and resolve it. As hard as it is to lose weight, its even harder when you have issues like these. I battle anxiety every single day of my life but I am determined to win.
HoopGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

I was wondering then if this is what I am having, I sometimes cry for no reason, I feel as if something is going to happen, I am afraid to go to sleep at night as I am not sure if I'll wake up in the morning, I am more aware of my body, ie heart pounding, a slight headache, a little twinge in my chest and I am freaking out like omg am I having a heart attack? I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and feel as if something is going to happen. Is this Anxiety. ?
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #35  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB73 View Post
I was wondering then if this is what I am having, I sometimes cry for no reason, I feel as if something is going to happen, I am afraid to go to sleep at night as I am not sure if I'll wake up in the morning, I am more aware of my body, ie heart pounding, a slight headache, a little twinge in my chest and I am freaking out like omg am I having a heart attack? I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and feel as if something is going to happen. Is this Anxiety. ?
It sounds like a combination of general anxiety plus anxiety attacks (which are more acute- the "I'm dying" thing with the racing heart and shortness of breath.

I highly recommend you see your doctor, because anxiety can have causes besides stress or chemical imbalances in the brain. As an example, thyroid disorders can cause panic attacks. I suffer from Hashimotos, a thyroid disease, and used to suffer debilitating panic attacks. I am being treated now for my thyroid disorder and rarely have anxiety issues any more, and even find that I am less temperamental as well.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

Thanks so much Dee I will go and have it checked.
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #37  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB73 View Post
Thanks so much Dee I will go and have it checked.
Please ask your doctor for a full check up. Not just thyroid can cause those issues. Other hormonal imbalances can cause anxiety as well.

Also, consider exploring alternative therapies. I find that Yoga, prayer, massage and hypnosis really work well for me for keeping my anxiety in check. Other people meditate, or do acupuncture. Plus there's a ton of alternative herbal medicines out there that can help with anxiety symptoms. If you have a naturopathic doctor or a holistic practitioner near you, it might be worth seeing them. My normal doctor is now my naturopath because she has done such a good job of helping me- much better than traditional medicine ever did.

Good luck to you.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote