Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default Seeing doctor for 1st time Thurs, what to expect?

So I'm finally going to let my doctor know that I had postnatal depression and still experience some bouts of depression/mood swings (all started after my son was born, not before). It's been 17 months. I see her on Thursday for other reasons and will bring it up (she is an OBGYN).

Can you tell me what to expect??
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Good luck!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #3  

I am sorry to say no personal experience (never had kids) but I am glad you are going in. I watched one friend really struggle after one of her babies and I think she was just even relieved she finally talked to her doctor.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I don't have any practical advice but just wanted to give you support and kudos for having the courage to go to a doctor about it. I didn't, and it's only a miracle I didn't follow through on some truly horrible thoughts. best wishes to you
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #5  

Just chiming in for support too. Not sure if postnatal depression is different from any other depression. I had a short experience with depression and it awful. She will probably refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist. I went to a psychologist as I did not wan to take any drugs. Was it helpful? I am not sure. i know that I eventually got out of it as it was a circumstantial mild depression. Best of luck
chikittita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #6  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

If your doctor is like most of the doctors I've known, she'll probably write you a script for an anti-depressant and she might suggest a therapist. If I were you, I would want to be prepared for that.

I don't know how you feel about anti-depressants--lots of people have lots of opinions about them--but I would urge you to be open-minded about talking with your doctor about them. They have made my life liveable and while there are side-effects, I am grateful that they are an option.

Good luck!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote