Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default St. John's Wort

Anyone taking it, taken it, know anything about it?

I just started taking it. I've been feeling really down lately and I have a small history with depression and I'm not ready to go back on meds (it's been 6 years off) and I'm not ready for therapy either. I think this is mostly situational and when the situation passes things should get a little better. But in the interim I'm taking this to see if I can get a little relief from depression, anxiety and binge eating.

It makes me very sleepy so I take it at night and it makes me sleep like a rock...I guess that's a plus.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #2  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I have no experience, but have been considering it, too. Thanks for posting the question - I'm interested in the responses.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I tried taking it in every morning for about a year. I tried several brands, since I know the dosage varies between brands & maybe even between batches. In the beginning, there may have been a mild placebo effect, but after a while, I didn't notice any difference. By contrast, when I was put on a very small dose of Prozac, there was an immediate marked difference in how I felt when I first got up in the morning. This happened within a few days after I'd started taking it. At first, I felt like I'd already had my coffee before my eyes even opened. Then after the doctor adjusted my dosage a little lower, it seemed to even out, and I just felt neutral getting up in the morning. (Feeling neutral is amazing when your usual default setting is wiped out.) I got nothing remotely like that from St. John's Wort. But anyway, that's just me, and I do believe some people get some good out of it. I got nothing discernible.

Last edited by saef; 10-21-2010 at 06:53 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote