Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Depressed after miscarriage...

Hi all...I find myself battling a severe depression...I got pregnant with my first baby after 6 years of trying in May, only to turn around and lose it the beginning of July.
Suddenly I'm so depressed...its like the grief has finally hit, and I just feel like laying in bed all day and crying. I'm starting to think of getting on anti-depressants...but I don't know. I have never been on them before.
I am frustrated because its like I hit a wall 2 days ago. Something inside of me just snapped. I have been doing great with exercise/eating, but now I have to force myself to eat, and exercise seems so hard to even think about doing anymore.
I guess I just needed somewhere to let out what was going on with me...not even sure what I'm looking for...
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

I'm so sorry to hear this, truly I am. I think it's understandable that you're feeling depressed and sad; it's a sad circumstance. Is there someone you can talk to about this? Sometimes anti-depressants can be helpful to get you through a tough time, for sure, and some compassionate talk therapy might help, too.

Please accept my condolences. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I am so sorry for your loss I too had a miscarriage a few years ago, so I can really understand where you are at.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to see your doctor, maybe he can recommend therapy or prescribe some meds for short term, until you are back on your feet.

Feel better
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Sorry for your loss. Not that it will help much but from personal experience I can tell you that what is happening is pretty normal. The first weeks you are too in shocked to feel anything, then it hits like a ton of bricks.

Talk theraphy is a great suggestion.

Your doctor or local hospital can also refer you to a post miscarriage support group. I found talking to others who had the same experiences to be very helpful.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

I just wanted to offer you some support I had a miscarriage 5 years ago and I still get depressed on the anniversary of the loss, as well as my expected due date. That was the hardest thing I have ever gone through.. I too suggest going to therapy. Being able to express all that you are feeling to someone will help you through the grieving process. :hugs:
Jldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I truly feel your pain. I too had a miscarriage about 11 years ago. Short bio - my DH and I already had 2 sons, ages 4 and 2. For some reason, I wanted a third child but he really didn't. I was using a diaphragm (because of depression the pill was always **** on my hormones) but I got pregnant and it was not intentional!! Talk about mixed feelings. Anyway, I had a miscarriage about 8 weeks into the pregnancy. I was told all the usual things "It's not your fault" "You already have 2" blah, blah, blah. Unfortunately, none of that eases your pain. I already had a history of depression and this didn't help at all. Well, after that I decided that maybe 2 was enough and it was my hubby that wanted to try again. I was pregnant again by December and had our third son, who just turned 10.
I know that this doesn't help you right now, but I thank God for that child every day. I love all my sons and they are all different. This one is my "happy" one. He is almost never in a bad mood and I say that without him I wouldn't laugh half as much as I do. Had I not miscarried I never would have had Jacob and I would have missed so much. That's not to say that the other child would not have been just as amazing. I just choose to focus on the blessing I have instead of the one I lost.
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know that my story doesn't ease your pain. If you are truly having this much trouble, you should talk to your OB/GYN. Maybe he/she can help or find someone who can. Don't continue to suffer this much. It doesn't make things any better. Best of luck. I have you in my prayers.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

I am so sorry for your loss.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

In November it will be 4 years since I miscarried. I was 3 months pregnant, when it happened. Its very hard to deal with and I completely understand where you are coming from. I would try to talk to a therapist.. or doctor, someone who can help you sort through all the emotions that you are feeling. *hugs*
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #9  
Queen of shifting minds

Height: 5'6-1/2"

I am so sorry for your loss I suffered two miscarriages in an effort to TTC with my new DH. The feeling is something that only someone who has gone through it can fully understand I keep reminding myself how old my baby would be and get sad still. What has helped me has been journaling, and talk therapy. I have found a therapist that really clicks with me, which is really important.

I think antidepressants would also be a help in getting over the hump. but the talk therapy was really what has helped. Also I think not keeping it a secret. Miscarriage is never talked about (rarely) it seems to make people uncomfortable maybe because they don't know what to say to you.
BelovedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage between my kids and it took a long while to get past the grief. I still get teary eyed when I think about it, and it was 4 years ago. Unless someone has gone through it, they don't understand. Some people think we shouldn't be upset because the pregnancy wasn't far along, but that's just not true, especially if it was something you had wanted so badly. Give yourself time and allow yourself to feel upset. There are support groups online and in a lot of cities for pregnancy loss. Talk to your doctor as well. They may be able to point you in the direction of support groups or therapy.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/225/175

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

I'd like to add my voice to all who have expressed their sympathy here. I suffered miscarriage after having a healthy first pregnancy. The pain was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I would add my vote to the suggestion to find a good therapist, if you haven't already done so. In retrospect, I wish I had done this. Please let us know how you are doing.
Mary49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #12  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I'm so sorry. Do you have a therapist?
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 6"

Hi
I can totally relate. Back in 2003 we started trying to have a child. My husband was then diagnosed with cancer. I had all these people telling me to have a child to have a "reminder" of my husband in case he died. Fortunately he survived and is still well. We tried for 3 years, suffering through 3 miscarriages. After the last one a Dr asked me if it had been a wanted pregnancy because I was so calm about it. My answer was that there was nothing I could to do stop it from happening. Within days, I was totally distraught. It's funny how it does really hit right away.

After that I got a fabulous OB-GYN who gave me one fantastic piece of information "Stress is the greatest birth control God gave us." He was so right. Finally after another year of trying (and 40 lbs of weight gain). We gave up. One month later, we were pregnant.

Lots of people give crappy cliches, however some are right. eg. There is a reason you had a miscarriage because there was something likely wrong with the fetus. Reading Mom with Issues, it is so true. When you do have your child, you will appreciate them so much. I know have 2 little girls aged 4 & 2 and I am so thankful to have them. (although my 4 year old has made me an emotional eater).

Don't give up, don't beat yourself or your husband up (if married). I have learned that they suffer too, but silently because they don't want to make it harder on you.

Take care of yourself and if you need to see a Dr. or therapist, be proud of how brave you are to acknowledge the fact that you need help.
Let in the Slim is offline   Reply With Quote