Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Zyprexa and weight gain?

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some positive information from your experience. I'm not seeking medical advise, just any encouraging experience you might have with the drug zyprexa.

I have PTSD and fairly severe anxiety and what I'm coming to realize is depression. (the "lows" felt so good, compared to the anxiety that I didn't realize they were too low). I can not take SSRI's because of an issue with a liver pathway. They REALLY kick up my anxiety and there is NO getting adjusted to them. So my doctor suggested we try zyprexa.

I was so overwhelmed when I was seeing him that I didn't even think to ask about side effects! Imagine my surprise when I got home and started finding out that so many people gain "excessive" weight and that it can cause diabetes.

There is a history of diabetes and hypoglycemia in my family. My weight is currently JUST within the healthy weight guidelines, and I've fought to get it there. Gain 8 pounds a month is NOT going to help my anxiety or depression.

I HAVE called the docs office. No return call yet. I've been taking it since last thursday. I get nervous every time I take it. So far the only effect I feel is that I'm weepy. I cry easily...not usually the case.

thanks for any experience you can share.
macsmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...
macsmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I can only speak from my own experience dealing with similar issues. I was having intrusive images from childhood trauma mixed with OCD. My doc put me on Abilify, another anti-psychotic, that is supposed to be weight-neutral and have fewer side effects than Zyprexa.
It has not inhibited my weight loss when I can get it together to successfully diet.
There are some really good forums on the net that discuss psych meds. Try searching for one called crazy meds and got to the forum.
Good luck.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #4  

Just wanted to add my two cents. I'm bipolar and I take Geodon, which is also an antipsychotic like Zyprexa. I've been on Geodon for over 3 years and have never had any problem losing weight on it and haven't gained anything that wasn't my own fault.

Crazy Meds is a good site...hope you found it.
nicolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/211/175

Height: 5' 8"

I tried zyprexa a few years ago and gained about 7lbs in about 2 weeks. I know crazy, but true. Needless to say I asked (told!) my pdoc to take me off of it.

Here's a great site with forums read the zyprexa reviews.

psychcentraldotcom
nwotal is offline   Reply With Quote