Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Talking January 2009 ~ Monthly Chat

Good Morning and ....

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Last edited by Leenie; 01-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Wake up sleepy heads.... is everyone still recovering from the big party last night

Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there!!

I'm here and up. Didn't go to bed until 3am, but all I was drinking was water so no headaches or hangovers for me! Our new year's eve was very quiet, well as quiet as having 4 girls (2 -21 yr olds, 1-18 yr old and 1 -16 yr old) and some of them had gotten into the coolers. We did the fondue thing and had a lot of fun.

Today has been quiet as well. DdA has to go to work from 4 -6:30 this afternoon. I don't know why they are calling her in for just the two and a half hours, but whatever. Hubby and I are thinking of dropping her off and going to see my mom for a short visit.

The girls all got digital cameras for Christmas. Well DdC has been taking a lot of pictures and videos. Today I took a look through them all and boy am I huge. Its so depressing. I thought I was doing so well, well I know I've been doing better, but....yuck. I guess I'm just going to have to work harder.

Anyway a whole new year and a new month the possibilities are endless!

Take care all,
K
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #4  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Well, it's a new year and I'm going into it struggling to hang on under a crushing wave of depression. It's the worst I've experienced in about 6 months.

One of the insurance jobs I didn't get, although there is another... if they call me about it. My weight is the highest it's ever been and I look like crap. I'm not being negative just to beat myself up, it's just that I'm in no way living up to my potential.

On the positive side, I want to fix it instead of just wallowing in misery. Somewhere, somehow I will get a job that pays above poverty level this year and I must drop some of this weight. I also need to pay off some debt...ack
I'm going to bed!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Morning,

Buddly we are our own worst critics, bet those pictures aren't as bad as you think. BUT!!!! if it really bothers you, that could be a good motivator. Print some out and keep it by the frig. I should do the same My DD loves her digital camera, so do I, no film wasted.

Hope I'm really glad your in the fixing mode You said you feel worse now then 6 months ago... could it be seasonal depression setting in? do you think a light box might help? (just trying to think of things that might help).

Nothing much going on today, gotta take the car in for an oil change, then head on off to the ice skating rink to see if they have lessons for DD since I do not know how to skate and will not risk falling and hurting myself LOL.

Have a great day lovies

Leenie
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Good morning!

leenie thanks and yes I'm using those pics and videos as motivation. Its mostly the videos that got me, so I'm trying to watch my posture and keep them in mind when I think I don't really want to work out. Have fun at the skating rink! I haven't gone to one in years. DdC went skating with her friends before Christmas break, but it was during the cold spell and hubby drove her.

Hope fingers crossed on the insurance job. And getting into the right mode is half the battle or so I'm finding out.

Not much new here. I have to leave for work in about 20 min. It only 4 hrs. DdA has to work from 2 - 7 as well so thankfully hubby is home to do the transporting as we are overlapping. He's also going to try and get a part for our furnace as its decided not to work properly again. We had the furnace guy out and he didn't do much and when it still wasn't working we changed the part he said was the problem. It didn't help so now we are changing the part we had replaced last January as it seems to be doing the same thing as last year. Woke up to -32*C so not a great time to be without a reliable furnace.
Have to get ready.
Take care everyone and have a wonderful day!
K
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

Talking about video's I watched a video from before I had kids when I was doing a panomime (drama) at church. I was so flipping skinny. So I am going to play that while I work out!!! I was around 125-130 at the time...so that will help me.....it works better than the video's of me fat cause that just seems to depress me and not motivate me!!! Weird I know!! Well I have completely crashed today...to long of a week I have wanted to do NOTHING...LOL...but I am probably going to try and get these girls to help me get these clothes sorted since I have the help!! ok gotta go...lata
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #8  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Happy 2009 everyone!

LOL Buddly - I was up 'til 4:00 am and didn't drink anything but water and juice! I did curl up with a good book though, which is why I was up so late Just HAD to finish it.

Hopey - You are WAY more valuable than any wage you will ever earn sweety, but here's hopin 2009 pays better! I second what Leenie asked about SAD - I have one of those "daylight" lights - I sit by it while I have my coffee in the morning.

Mof4 - heck, if that's wierd we both must be nutters... I always respond better to pictures of me skinny than big - well, actually I respond best to pictures of me HAPPY. I just look so unhappy in all my big pics that it depresses me - the skinny unhappy pics depress me, too, but boy one happy pic is like gold! Total motivation.

Leenie - I can't skate either

I had a rough day today. I worked hard at work (school's not in session yet, so I just call it work) today, and road my bike for the first time in a bit. That was really great. Unfortunately when I got home I found my old dog stuck sitting in a corner in her own piddle. She evidently got herself in a position where she couldn't stand up - I feel aweful to think how long she may have been stuck there! Plus, I know its just a matter of time before I have to let her go. Her body is just so old. But her spirits are still so good - she's the happiest little thing. I just wish I didn't tear myself up about when will be the right time. Ugh.

OK, sorry. I just needed to reach out. I don't really feel I know anyone here well enough yet to reach out in person, so THANK YOU guys for being here. I luv you all!

Amarie
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #9  
Starting Again

Thank you ladies for all the well wishes. The time of year may have a little to do with it and I really wouldn't mind trying one of those light thingies. I think it may do me good, but right now I think I'm actually upset over things I should be upset over. That sounds stupid but I'm sure you know what I mean. With depression you can feel like it's the end of the world when everything is good, but right now there are things that I legitimately feel bad about (weight, job, etc.). I just hope this year brings some resolution to these problems.

Amarie sorry for your rough day and you doggie's rough day too. I hope she is as comfortable and happy as possible for the rest of her life with a great mommy to love her like you.

Leenie: Skating terrifies me too. I'm way too afraid of falling and hurting my back.

Buddly: How was work? Hopefully not as boring as my day was.

Momof4: Nothing negative motivates me like something positive. I totally agree.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Aw Amarie, that is so sad. It's horrible when we have to give pets up, but it seems she has had a long happy life and you have been a good owner

Hope I hope this year brings good resolution to these problems too, I'll be thinking of you.

I'm having my ups and I'm having my downs. I'm trying to fight them instead of just giving in and sulking about it now. Today is my friends 18th so I'm invited out and it would be a brilliant chance to meet people and make new friends and I know it would be good for me but the emotional issues like 'feeling to fat and having nothing to wear' seem to outweigh practicalities - I'm going to go anyway. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by Spoz; 01-03-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone,

Been lost in action... or inaction Been a bit of a month or so... just dealing with a lot of emotions with hub's illness and that of a very good friend's (who is also terminal).

We had a huge amount of snow last night, and a few flakes are still drifting down from the sky. Am going to get my lunch and then head to the mall (arrgghh.. i hate malls) to get some groceries & hair conditioner from the salon. Am dreading returning to work on Monday... been off the past 2 weeks. This old body is so ready for retirement... 2 1/2 more years.. hang in!!

I hope everyone is doing ok.. Amarie I know how hard it is with a senior pet.. I had to help our previous german shep up every morning.. she would be laying down & was too stiff to get herself up. She was so sheepish and embarassed because sometimes, she'd had a bm and was laying there, helpless. Now our current germ shep is 10... today, actually.. he's not stiff yet, but I know it won't be long.

Leenie I hope the skating works out well I love skating.. it's been so bitterly cold here though that it's not even reasonable to go. We have a beautiful outdoor rink in a light park (that is done up seasonally and is lit up each evening til late Feb) with a warming shack. But it's been in the -30s (Celsius) for several weeks now with the windchill and just is plain dangerous to go.

Hope I agree with Leenie.. those light boxes are so worth the money. The bulb lasts forever... I've had mine over 10 years now and have yet to replace the bulb.. I use it from late Oct/Nov to March... even hub is using it now.

As far as your weight, please don't beat yourself up. It truly sets yourself up for more pain. Focus on getting through each day... as a step to feeling better about what you eat. I've had a big crash this past month (falling off my program) and am suffering through sugar withdrawal right now (headache from you know where)... but I can't believe how much better I feel when I choose the right foods... work at one meal at a time. I've found it much easier to sit down in the evening and plan my food out for the next day. I do much better sticking to my plan when it's done up ahead of time and laying on the table for me when I get up. This program I've been following takes a lot of planning, but is really easy to stick to. I think the planning has been what has been missing for me in all of my previous efforts at weight loss.

Buddly sure hope those furnace woes are fixed for you soon! It's been miserably cold here for nearly 4 weeks now... I don't remember such a long cold snap since winter of 95/96. I hope it breaks soon (the cold snap.. not your furnace!!!!!)

Mom I find the pix/videos of smaller versions of me far more motivating than the bigger ones, too. Not so strange.. why focus on big?? That whole business of thinking positive thoughts has a lot of merit. And, it's much easier to think positive when smaller pix are in place. The trick is to not obsess on now but work toward that pic. Each day (sometimes each meal) is a step there... always move forward.

Spoz Can you buy a simple outfit in a size that you feel more comfortable in for times when you do go out? Not a whole wardrobe, but one outfit that you can feel good in for when you do go out. I hope you have a great time tonight.

everyone else who may pop on to read posts.. have a wonderful weekend and remember, we are taking a step at a time forward. Picture that in your mind.. progress is never overnight.. it's truly one step at a time.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #12  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

Hey everyone, I just got back from doing some climbing! It was pretty fun but wow, I'm still pretty out of shape! Hope you all have a super weekend
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #13  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi everyone - thanks

I had a really bad night last night, I cried myself to sleep and woke up this morning all puffy and with the worst headache ever. But Cleo is having a good day today, so that helps A LOT. I gave her a thorough, much needed grooming, and a lot of cuddles. I also shifted my school schedule so that I can work from home and be around in case she needs me.

I guess thats all for now - I'm just taking it one day at a time.

everyone
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #14  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Happy New Year Everyone!

I know, I haven't been around much lately but I wanted to pop in and say hi, everyone seems like they are having a rough time right now... Must be part of the season...lots of SAD (well except for me, I am living in the land of perpetual summer...and that has my own issues...me being a fall person and all...)

I feel for all of you who are struggling... I am doing pretty well right now, my recovery from sugar addiction is coming along well.. I am having some rough patches with TOM...this last time my cramps were so bad...and I ended up with my first puking migraine (had migraines before but never thrown up). My sister's estranged husband passed away like the day after Christmas and I felt really bad for her loss.. I am preparing for my first trip home while practicing the Radiant Recovery program...(a little nervous about that) DH has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and I had thought that I would be able to know the results before I left but now it looks like that is not the case...it is a very important scan (not that they all aren't) and I am just kind of in a tizzy about it. But...I am just focusing on what I can do...

You know, I was reading about everyone hating videos and pictures of themselves and it made me think of something I just read in an interview with Jillian Michaels (one of my Heros!) She said that as soon as Biggest Loser wraps up she immediately gains 10 pds...she says she looks best on tv at 115 but her body is most comfortable at 125. That has to tell you something right there.

Hope everyone has a better day today... And I am still around once in awhile... Miss you guys...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #15  
Starting Again

Hi Raven and Judo, glad to see you both again. Still thinking of you and your hubbies.

Tomorrow is my first day doing taxes. I hope it all goes well. There is still so much I don't know procedural wise. I'm doing better but there are so many things I want to fix or change. Luckily a busy schedule keeps me from dwelling on it all.

Hope you all had a good Monday.
Closed Thread