Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool The Depression / Clutter / Weight connection?

Is anyone dealing with a crazy, cluttered house? Please read my posted reply to the weekly chat; it should've been a new thread.

Yep, I've been diagnosed as clinically depressed since I was about 30...and the connection to one's weight is undeniable...and, now, maybe both are connected to out-of-control clutter. Anybody?
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: .

Height: .

Yes, very much so! I found a forum a long time ago: http://www.squalorsurvivors.com that has been a wonderful inspiration to my housekeeping.
Everyone there is so loving, caring, and non-judgmental. A lot more people than you think are in the same boat as us.
Goldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Check out the book, Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat by Peter Walsh... its a pretty good book !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #4  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I saw the article about the book on this site. It's interesting. I know I do sometimes feel anxious about all of the clutter, and I want to eat. I'm not sure why.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/249/169

Height: 5'9"

For me, it's a Catch 22; my house is cluttered but since I'm so heavy, I have no energy to do anything about it.

So I eat. At least that's some kind of activity.
Oldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #6  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

The website offered above was an eye opener and it made me understand a lot of the dynamics of the clutter and mess that has dominated my life for a long time. Although my husband is a pack rat, if I put up with it, I am a part of the problem. I suppose if I just start getting rid of things, he will follow suite. It makes me nervous, though, when the mess starts collecting in the house. It has always been relegated to the outside spaces.

Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 08-05-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Too personal
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #7  
Ufi
Persistence

Is anyone interested in reading the book at the same time and discussing it? I haven't bought it yet, but it sounds interesting.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/189/135

Height: 5'4"

that does sound interesting....i might check that out!
beffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I think I might find myself in this book. I'm game for a forum book club!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/189/135

I just ordered his first book, It's All Too Much, which someone on Amazon recommended. They said that he refers to this book throughout the Clutter book. So I will try this one out and see how it goes!
beffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #11  
Less Juicey

Cool Book Chat?

I'd love to turn this thread into a book chat...I suggest if we want to read and discuss we start with "It's All Too Much." I'm ready when you are...and I'm continuing to throw out, shape up and ship stuff out. Today I offered my daughter two sets of pretty crystal luncheon plates my grandmother used to entertain her club ladies with...my daughter's delighted and I DON'T HAVE TO STORE THEM!!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #12  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

So...does that make us untidy people doomed? I do feel better when I tidy but I'm so unorganized...
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

Height: 5'3"

My favorite "anti-clutter" assistant is FlyLady (flylady.net) Marla has helped thousands upon thousands of people. Many of these people have dealt with or are dealing with depression and she has certainly made a difference for me and my family!

I've been getting rid of the stuff-clutter that I don't need through either Goodwill or Freecycle.org. Freecycle's wonderful and it gets your clutter out of your home and to someone else who could use it.
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #14  
Less Juicey

Cool Thanks for the suggestions

I appreciate the suggestions; I'll check out those sites.

I boxed up granny's luncheon plates for my daughter along with some other odds and ends she'll enjoy. A friend is visiting her this weekend and is coming by tomorrow to have lunch with me and pick up Lauren's new treasures so she can take them with her to Charleston.

I'm also putting a plant that's become clutter outside (because it looks terrible) in the shade with lots of happy plants and shrubs to see if it will feel better. It depresses me to look at it; maybe it'll feel better soon.

I didn't really make the connection between what we'd said and anybody being "doomed" in a recent post. Want to explain? I'm confrused...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #15  
Ufi
Persistence

I read the Amazon.com reviews for both books, and it does sound like "It's All Too Much" would be better to start with, might even be enough to address the fat connection without the second book if we draw our own conclusions, as it sounds like there's a lot of repetition.

I still have to order it. When should we start?