Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

Depression/ADD /weight gain and clutter can all go together , too.

Kelly
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #47  

I could see that, Kelly.

Clutter isn't just at home. I was having a particularly crapulent day at work and feeling like running screaming from the building. I decided to wipe off my desk and keyboard. Actually the desk looks pretty neat. I have been hiding my clutter, however, in my rolling basket that I keep by my desk. I decided to give it a clean while I was on hold for another department. Talk about a rolling snack basket! I had wrappers from old candy, bits of potato chips, dust, paper that was outdated, plastic carrier bags, two types of cookies, and on. I got rid of the crap and gave it a wipe out. Oh, I also got rid of two magazines and an avon catalogue four months out of date. Work didn't improve much but at least my basket has some room in it for my work stuff. Now if only I could clear out the clutter that we laughingly refer to as management.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

Life is so much better for me now on the ritalin. I've totaled out several cars before going on the ritalin. ALSO, now that i'm on it my car is clean, house, I no longer find my keys in odd places (fridge). But depression is usually right along with ADD for some reason. With the meds, it's easy to gain wt.

LOL, I can relate to your desk issue. My last employer put me on salary because I used so much OT to get my work done. I'd come in on weekends. But I could only sit for ten mins at a time at my desk then I was off doing other things (all work related but not my specific job)

Kelly
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #49  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I did a declutter of the kitchen table and was so pleased to have a nice place to sit and eat when a friend dropped by with dinner. That's the sort of life I want.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #50  

Good for you, Ufi.That's the way to do it - one surface at a time.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #51  
Ufi
Persistence

One of the things that really hit me from the book is the assertion that clutter stops us from living in the present. "We become so focused on holding on to our clutter that we are unable to be truly present and live our lives fully in the right here and now." That's on page 14. Then, on page 15: "Because if you throw out the stuff that does a rather shabby job of representing your hopes and dreams, you actually create room to make dreams come true."

What do you think about those things? Is that true for you? How?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

I am going to have to buy a book on clutter. The title of the one _Does Clutter Make Your Butt Big_ has really caught my attention.

We moved into this house in May. We have boxes and junk all over the freaking place. Also, it's dusty. And...my backyard is full of weeds.

I bought this house around seven years ago and used to keep it spick and span. I had a lot of stuff then but kept everything in order. I moved to live with my boyfriend/man partner and his house was a wreck. We never cleaned up because we were going to remodel it. It was worse than a bachelor pad. (I know that not all men are slobs).

When we moved back here, I thought it would be different, but I have been in a rut.

I have decided that I will clean a section of the house at a time, little by little. The next project will be the storage shed. That is going to be an adventure in itself.

I am convinced that depression, clutter, and being overweight are connected. There is that one point where you don't care about things anymore and/or you don't have the energy.

My office is the same. It is full of papers that I don't need. The drawers in my computer desk and regular desk are full of junk as is one of my filing cabinets. I have planned to work on that little by little.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #53  
Ufi
Persistence

Good for you!

I donated books today. Still sooooo much clutter to address, but that made me feel good.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #54  
Now with 10% less fat!

S/C/G: 139/120.2/106

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldana View Post
Yes, very much so! I found a forum a long time ago: squalorsurvivors.com that has been a wonderful inspiration to my housekeeping.
Everyone there is so loving, caring, and non-judgmental. A lot more people than you think are in the same boat as us.
Thank you for posting that link. I had no idea a community like that existed.
smallification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Raises Hand!

Im sitting here in a clutter, depressed, and looking at my house going what happened?

I am really glad that you posted this because I was going mad thinking I was the only one.
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabetty View Post
Raises Hand!

Im sitting here in a clutter, depressed, and looking at my house going what happened?

I am really glad that you posted this because I was going mad thinking I was the only one.
Take a look at the squalor survivors site. It is so full of information in regards why we hang on to clutter. I found out a lot of things about myself.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #57  
Ufi
Persistence

How are we doing with addressing clutter, chicks? Slowly? Quickly? Can't face it? In denial?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #58  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default I just saw the book at used book store & bought it! Let's discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
Is anyone interested in reading the book at the same time and discussing it? I haven't bought it yet, but it sounds interesting.
I'm up for it!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #59  
Ufi
Persistence

Are you seeing any connection between weight and clutter?