Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Unhappy Anxiety & Panic Attacks..

Anyone have a tried and true way of temporarily relieving anxiety and/or panic attacks?

I haven't had my medication in a long time, and now that I'm recently unemployed, I can't get/afford anymore.. Also, they happen so infrequently now that they aren't really worth it for me unless they start gaining frequency.

Today I just felt it come upon me and I started getting that icky panic feeling. I've been having relationship problems with DH (he's fast-tempered, oftentimes un-supportive and vindictive), I'm recently unemployed, DH is currently holding a grudge and on a vindictive streak and my grandma (Dad's mom) is sick with pneumonia and probably dying. (she has had alzheimers the past few years and is totally out of it at this point. I only saw her once every few years, and we weren't close per-se due to distance, but she was a sweet and funny lady).

Anyway, I guess I have cause to feel bad, and it's not like I feel really bad right now, per-se, I don't know if I'm holding it in and not allowing myself to feel bad, but instead I just have an overall feeling of anxiety, like a 'flight' response.

Anyone know any ways to get temporary relief without eating myself into oblivion? (which I wouldn't..)
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I sort of let mine take over. My counselor (when I had one) said that such worries (at least mine) were normal. Just take deep breathes and let them pass. It usually helps. Also doing something to get my mind off of what was bothering me until that passes as well (usually hard since I get mine at night when I'm trying to fall asleep and can't and my mind is just racing...).
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I agree with modkitten - deep breathing somewhere quiet. I also journal. AND if all else fails, I run. Even if I ran already that day - even ten minutes is enough to kick my brain into a different gear. Do you have an exercise you love enough to throw yourself into?? Try to find one, even if it is sitting on the floor, alone, breathing and stretching.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Exercise. Really intense, sweaty, kick your butt cardio, to be specific.

It "burns off" my anxiety...don't know how else to describe it. When I get that tight feeling in my chest, I immediately try to do some cardio. It also forces you to breathe deeply, which is in and of itself calming.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,

Exercise and deep breathing are great solutions, but sometimes I found that I needed just.....something. One thing I found that really helps when my head and stomache are going is Rescue Remedy. Its a homeopathic formula, just four drops on the tongue. The first time I bought it (I heard about it when Sissy Spacek was on the Rosie O'donnell show and she was using it) my sister who was working at a vets laughed as that was what they gave dogs to calm them before surgery. Another homeopathic formula is Calms. My one daughter takes those to help her sleep they have valerian root and passion flower. Just an alternative thought.

Take care and I hope everything is alright as it sounds like you have a lot on your plate,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Since you are unemployeed you might be able to sign up at the local clinic (near your hospital) and receive free medication or meds at a very low cost. Its definitly worth looking into. Also, I know drug companies have programs where you can join and get free meds. Again, it can't hurt to look into these options.

Panic attacks are just horrible I'm really sorry you get them.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 311.2/308.4/160

Height: 5'9"

I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, and even WITH medication it tends to flare up.

The other suggestions are great, and are some of what I've implemented for myself, too. One of the things I've found most helpful is to have a routine when I feel a panic attack coming on; I sit somewhere comfortable, and do deep breathing for 2-5 minutes. Then I usually drink a glass of water, just sit and center myself for a minute, and if it hasn't passed, I typically resort to distracting myself. I have a file of like... 1,500 cat macros, and I click on them at random until I can't even remember the anxiety.

It probably seems silly, but it's ultimately one of the things that works when nothing else (except sedation!) does.
sarahplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I just started my diet a week ago, and because of my blog and this forum I've been dealing with some of the issues that lead to my food problems. Ever since I struck a nerve the other day (lonliness and Alienation thread) I've had this constant anxiety in the pit of my stomach. Just this constant anxious feeling in my stomach, accompanied with being unfocused and fidgity, muscle aches, and occasional dizzyness and headaches. I know it's not because of the diet changes, because they have only been slight 1,600 calories per day and pretty much the same food I've been eating before but in moderation.

I have had issues with binge eating, I would get this insane urge that would come over my body to eat large amounts of high fat/sugar/carb foods. I would have the food in frount of me and have this ravonous feeling that I needed to eat it all. I really did most of my damage to myself in isolated binges. Anyway usually whenever I would start a diet I would get CRAZY food cravings.

This time all I feel is the anxiety, I have not been craving food, I've even not wanted to eat a few times because of the anxious feeling make me feel sick (although I've never thrown up). It's just this bizare and unexpected feeling in my body where all of a sudden instead of semi-unconsiously eating my feelings (or getting cravings to eat) all I feel is the anxiety.

In looking back, I've always had to deal with anxious feelings but they would come and go. I would be in a room full of people and all of a sudden get that anxious feeling in my stomach, or freak out about things comming up in the future (things that aren't even that big of a deal) and feel anxious. I wouldn't call it a panic attack or even an anxiety attack, I would just feel much more anxious than the situation would call for.

I just did some googleing and think I might have some sort of Acute case of Generalized Anxiety disorder. I am going to try those tongue drops and if this dosen't pass in a week or 2 I will go to the campus health center and see a psychologist/psychiatrist.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #9  

I also wanted to add that I've been really tierd and have been getting stress pimples, you know those really big hard ones that hurt and I used to almost never get zits even when I wouldn't wash my face, or sleep with make up on.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #10  

Hi, I know what all of you guys are going through, I've had panic attacks for 9 years now. They started when I was pregnant w/ my oldest son. I have them at least twice a week. I've tried Lexapro but they made me very tired and didn't help w/ the attacks. I have also taken ativan, that works but then I am sleeping for 12 hours straight. I do take Calms Forte from Hylands and they do seem to calm me down. My dh will rub my back and talk to me and that helps most of the time but when they get really bad I just have to let it happen and know sooner or later I will be o.k. even though I feel like I am "dying" when it is happening. Just hang in there and know you are not alone.
fudgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #11  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello. Well, my DH has PTSD and anxiety and panic attacks comes along with it. He's been getting them more recently and isn't on meds either. They haven't been helping him. He said the best thing for him is to go run and run as hard as he can. If he can't make it to the gym he can't be left alone. If he's left alone it'll only get worse. He also has to be kept busy or it will overtake him. I know it's not hard, I have to live with it also and I'm not the one with the attacks. You also don't need added stress to your life. You deserve better. Good luck.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #12  

I ordered the rescue remedy stuff right after I saw Buddly's post. I've only used it twice, once when I first got it to try it, and once when I was anxious in bed and couldn't sleep (and was getting hungry). I'll take 4 drops of the stuff in water in a shot glass and down it. I like that it doesn't feel like a drug, but calms you down a little bit. More than anything it just feels like a huge security blanket having the stuff in my purse if I need it or around if I'm in my house and get binge thoughts in the back of my head. I still don't know if it's a placebo effect or if it really works (or probably a little of both) and I don't care. Having the stuff around makes me feel like I'm more in control of my anxiety even though I really haven't used it that much.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5.0

I used to use rescue remedy, but at the stage my anxiety is at i think it doesnt help...
JenJen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

I have found that sometimes going outside, going for a walk, or calling someone who knows and talking about things other then my panic attack helps. In my case its my daughter, I will call her and tell her I'm having an attack and sahe will talk and chatter until it passes
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #15  
from flab to fab

S/C/G: 177/170/135

Height: 5'2ish

Hi LittleMissMotivation!

I suffer from Anxiety also! I'm subscribed to a fantastic online forum devoted to this issue. If you are interested send me a pm and I'll give you the URL since I can't attach it for some reason.

Personally, when I'm having an attack (I was recommended to do this by my doctor) I slouch in a chair and repeat "come get me" until it passes.

Apparently by trying to control/stop the attack from coming you're actually fueling it. In my case, I was so terrified to actually experience the attack that I scared myself into having them and boy did they get powerful.

When I finally sought help for it my doctor explained that you have to let them take their course. Granted breathing strategies MAY work for you but even at that the breathing serves to calm you down so you don't completely freak out while it's happening!

I just relax myself completely and tell myself that it's just ugly anxiety rearing its head! IT WILL GO AWAY!

Best of luck!
missjenny is offline   Reply With Quote