Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Seasonal Affect Disorder and PhotoTherapy

I've had Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) for almost my entire adult life. For anyone who doesnt know what it is, here is a link to the Mayo Clinic, where they talk about it: SAD

If you dont have time for the link, I will tell you that SAD is basically a disorder that causes depression in the winter months. A lack of sunlight causes your brain to decrease the amount of serotonin it produces and you end up depressed until spring. (this is why so many people are in great moods in the spring...because they get more sunlight and the serotonin is increased in their brains)

One of the problems I experience is weight gain. I havent been here for awhile but I had gotten down to 143 pounds. In the last 3 weeks, i've gained 6 pounds. I just dont have the will to stick to my low calorie eating plan and I eat constantly, whether i'm hungry or not. I also have sciatica and skipped going to the gym this week. I worry that I am going to lose all interest in going because of the depression. I'm on pain meds for my back so that doesnt help because they act as depressants. I also have a 2 year old that keeps me hopping and I only get about 5 hours of sleep a night. Seems like everything is working against me. I want to feel better so badly. I hate going through the holidays depressed. My family means the world to me and I feel like I ruin everyones holiday because I cant drum up any enthusiasm for Christmas. Its not fair to my kids. I should be decorating the house and singing Christmas carols, not sitting around staring off into space because I feel so empty and sad inside.

My dr recommends that I try a photo therapy light. Apparently, it works like natural sunlight and many people with SAD have gotten a lot of relief with it. My problem is that I dont want to spend the money if its not as effective as they say. They run from 150-200 dollars. With Christmas coming, I hate to spend the money if it isnt going to work. I have read many reviews but its hard to trust them because I always wonder if the reviews are planted there by the company the same way they do with diet pills and stuff like that. It also doesnt help matters that when I brought it up to my husband, he didnt say much and didnt tell me to go ahead and buy it. I know he will let me if I want to...but I hate spending money without his ok. He works so hard and there are 5 of us to support...i'd feel awful if I spend 200 bucks of the family money only to have it not work. I think he is skeptical of its ability to ease depression too.

Anyhow....if anyone has ever used a photo therapy light or knows someone else who has...I hope you will post your experiences with it so I can get a better idea for how they actually work.
valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I have an aunt who has had good success with it. Someone my dh worked with swore by it as well.

I know the cost is prohibitive - I've looked into myself. My Mom & I were thinking about making one ourselves. You can buy the bulbs - you just need to make sure you've got enough.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #3  

thanks so much for adding your thoughts lifeguard!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

valley
I suffer from the same thing. We lived in a wonderful little cottage in the middle of a forest. I was depressed all the time. Winter and spring time were horrible. Then we bought a house, out of the forest and just full of huge windows that brought in tons of sunlight I saw a huge difference. I haven't had the problem as bad since. We bought plant lights and put them in the basement in my laundry room. Since I am down there a few times a week I get the benefits of the plant lights. I can tell you it has made a world of difference for me.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
valley
I suffer from the same thing. We lived in a wonderful little cottage in the middle of a forest. I was depressed all the time. Winter and spring time were horrible. Then we bought a house, out of the forest and just full of huge windows that brought in tons of sunlight I saw a huge difference. I haven't had the problem as bad since. We bought plant lights and put them in the basement in my laundry room. Since I am down there a few times a week I get the benefits of the plant lights. I can tell you it has made a world of difference for me.
Thanks. My house faces the sun and my living room has 3 huge windows that let the sunlight in and even though its very bright, its still not as bright as when there is real sunlight streaming in. I'm glad to hear that the extra lighting makes a difference for you. I am more encouraged just hearing you and lifeguard say that there is a real difference with the lights. I know its different for everyone, but i'm still a lot more hopeful than I was to start so thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/235/155

Height: 5'8''

I began using my SAD lamp last winter - a portable one that I bought on Amazon for about $180 - and I honestly think it's made a difference. I was able to cut down on my medication and still feel good. My doctor also recommends going to bed by 9 or 10 in the winter and getting up at 5 or 6. She says it stabilizes your hormones when there's less light... But I never manage to do it!

The lamp, however, has been great for me and if you think you can make the investment, it might be worth it. If it doesn't work, save the packaging and return it to the store.
jenmonkey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've had a SAD light for a couple of years now and find it really does help me. I also turn on lots of lights in the house when I get up - around 5:30 AM.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #8  

thanks Jen and Ruth. Feeling good would be a nice change! I'm thinking it worth the risk...and I can always sell on Ebay if I dont see any difference.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

From what I understand, not all SAD lights are created equal (its gotta be a certain lux?). Make sure you read up before investing.

A friend of mine sent me this link to one that she has.... hope it helps. I too am thinking of getting one (but I've been saying that for years).

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/default.aspx

Let us know which one you get, if you choose to.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
From what I understand, not all SAD lights are created equal (its gotta be a certain lux?). Make sure you read up before investing.

A friend of mine sent me this link to one that she has.... hope it helps. I too am thinking of getting one (but I've been saying that for years).

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/default.aspx

Let us know which one you get, if you choose to.

Thanks.

I took the plunge and bought one today. Its an Uplift technologies Day Light Lamp. Its got the recommended 10,000 lux bulbs in it.

It retails for $229 (but is on sale everywhere for $184) and I found a brand new one on Ebay for a total of $137. I will wait a week or two and will post to say whether it works for me or not.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions everyone.

Last edited by valley; 11-14-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I've played around with the idea of natural sunlight products, as well. Sunshine definitely makes so much difference in my mood, and winter is just so long and dreary. Not being sure of whether or not they would work, or which one to get, has held me back.

Sears sells a floor lamp that they claims gives light similar to that of the sun...

Does anyone know of where to get natural sun products in Canada that they've actually experienced?
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #12  

sorry Penelope, I dont know where to look in Canada.

I am the same way...I have held back from buying because its seems almost unbelievable that a lamp can change your mood. But the science of it sounds very logical. And enough people say they work so its worth a try.

I'm sure they must be available in Canada too. All I really know about them is that you need to have 10,000 lux for them to be effective.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello, and I am SO eager to hear if the light therapy helps you!! I've also been investigating a light box...and to hear that one can get the recommended 10,000 lux for less than $200 ( I have even seen them for $300) would be wonderful. I also hate to spend money on something that is JUST for me, no one else, and not sure what the results would be.

I currently take 20 mg of Lexapro; have been for 2 years. and am so sad now that I have done nothing but gain weight for two years. I am up almost 25 lbs

Right now it is SO hard for me to stick to my goals. I can keep my routine of doing an exercise tape daily but I just cannot keep myself from eating stuff I shouldn't, or too much of something that is healthy.

Okay sorry to divert attention to me, am looking forward to hearing from valley
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
Hello, and I am SO eager to hear if the light therapy helps you!! I've also been investigating a light box...and to hear that one can get the recommended 10,000 lux for less than $200 ( I have even seen them for $300) would be wonderful. I also hate to spend money on something that is JUST for me, no one else, and not sure what the results would be.

I currently take 20 mg of Lexapro; have been for 2 years. and am so sad now that I have done nothing but gain weight for two years. I am up almost 25 lbs

Right now it is SO hard for me to stick to my goals. I can keep my routine of doing an exercise tape daily but I just cannot keep myself from eating stuff I shouldn't, or too much of something that is healthy.

Okay sorry to divert attention to me, am looking forward to hearing from valley
I'm glad to have you divert attention to you! It really makes me feel a lot better hearing that other people are going through similar problems as I am. I tend to keep things to myself and deny that i'm depressed. But after so many years, i'm tired of trying to keep it all inside. Hearing about your issues (and everyone else's) helps me to talk about mine!

I will definitely post a week after I get my light to report any changes. If the change isnt noticeable, i'll wait another week and then post again. LOL..i'm such a pessimist though! I would love to be one of those people who can say "wow, what a difference!" but I keep worrying that the only change I will feel is a huge migraine!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

valley - I'll keep the bulbs in mind. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to hearing how the light works for you.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote