Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #16  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

At my university there was a big article written in the school newspaper about these lights. I've heard wonderful things! Also...in my work we have a lot of lights that are made of the same stuff as the photo lights and we are always so happy haha. It's funny.

Also, i'm pretty sure you can ask a doctor or even the manufacturer of the lights if you can just do a test of one...to see if it works. I know most therapists have one.....

I think spending the money is worth it. Being happy for you and your family is most important and if it costs 200 dollars...I'd say that is a great deal because most families just arent happy.....and even a light wont solve their problems.

SO GO FOR IT!!!!
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #17  
Mel

Seeing this post reminded me that I want to buy one. I need to go do the research again. A friend of mine loaned me hers for 2 winter and I had to return it when her symptoms came back. I really did make world of difference, and I didn't even use it for the full proscribed time. I would just set it in from of me for the 5-10 minutes that it takes me to eat my breakfast while I read the paper.

I gave it back before the winter was over last year, but late enough in the season that I was OK. The last month has been really hard for me and it wasn't until I saw your post that I even remembered the light box! Thanks!

The one my friend loaned to me was about $180 on sale- not cheap, but certainly worth it IMO.

I'll update this thread or post when I find a link to it

Here it is
Looks like the price has gone up

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Has anyone heard about the light being bad for certain eye problems? I have the beginnings of glaucoma and I'm not sure if that much light would be benificial or harmful.

Penelope, my psychologist told me that the medical supply store in our biggest hospital carries good lights. I would think that there would be a simialar service in Alberta.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #19  

Well, I broke down and bought one. I talked to my optomitrist and he said it would be fine as long as I don't look into it.

The one I bought is called Day*Light and you can see it at this address:

http://www.day-lights.com/

Tomorrow will be my first try. I hope something comes of it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Denise - Please let us know! Thank you
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #21  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I came to this forum looking to post about this too. I found an etailer in Canada called Sunshine sales where I can get a lamp with shipping for 229. I live in the subarctic and I'm pretty sure I've struggled with sad my entire time up here.... but I feel kinda foolish getting an expensive lamp before christmas! I hope it's worth it
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #22  

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update anyone who was waiting to hear how I am doing with the light therapy. I've been using it for a week and I am seeing a noticeable difference.

Before I started using it, I was exhausted all day, irritable, and felt sad for no reason. After a week of using the light for 30 minutes each morning, I seem to have more energy and the irritability and sadness only show up in little spurts here and there instead of constantly.

be warned..this doesnt remove your symptoms entirely. I had one day (the day I started my period, lol) when I was weepy and grouchy but in previous times, I have had a complete meltdown on period day. I didnt even cry this time.

Overall, I feel better and have been down on the floor playing with my toddler, getting more housework done and am able to pay more attention to my preteens and husband. I would recommend a SAD light to anyone who needs a boost.

Now...the only drawbacks, imo...you have to sit a foot away from the light. Thats not a big deal in of itself but because you sit that close, I find it to be hard on the eyes. This light is super-bright...brighter than I was expecting. The first day, I got a headache that lasted for a few hours until I finally took something for it (duh!) After that, it didnt bother me again. I also felt slightly nauseous a few times but it's probably because I drink coffee and dont have breakfast with it. The nausea for me went goes away within a half hour of shutting it off and grabbing a bite to eat. It could be that I need to cut back my time to 20 minutes, but I enjoy the results so much as it is that I dont want to cut back.

anyhow..thats how its working for me. Its not a miracle worker but I definitely see an improvement so I think it is well worth the money. Also, I bought this with a lot of skepticism and assumed that it wouldnt work for me but I do understand now why people buy them because they do work.

Last edited by valley; 11-27-2007 at 08:06 AM.
valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

valley
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that it's helping you!
I'll keep this in mind as a gift to me in the future
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #24  

I was diagnosed with SADD last January and that light, along with Effexor XR has worked wonders for me. Yes, it is bright until you adapt to using it.
All of the posters are right, it does take a certain 'lux', but you can find it easily. They are not cheap, but we are worth it.
lattelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #25  

I've been using mine for about 10 days now and I have noticed a big difference. Not so much in my mood but a lot in my energy level. I would highly recommend using one.