Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Default Surving Feasting Season Challenge

Heya. With all the various challenges listed here, chances are that mine is bound to ‘sink’ into oblivion, but I’ll give it a shot, regardless. I received an article via e-mail just yesterday, entitled 'Surviving Feasting Season' (available on webmd.com, for those of you interested) which lists the following three keys to survival: i) Practice Awareness ii) Manage Stress & Emotions, and iii) Plan in Advance. Note that none of this is new or original in terms of the standard advice dispensed to dieters (perpetual, or not) but the purpose of this challenge will be to actually follow the advice listed above, so as to neither feel deprived nor over-indulge during the holiday season. As such, this challenge will emphasize weight maintenance & healthful eating with planned deviations, over weight loss. After all, it’s the season to be jolly, but also prudent & above all realistic, as the article states… Anyway. I look forward to your feedback! Cheers.
elizabeth28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #2  

Hmmm....no takers, eh? Fine, then. I'll just have to face the Christmas cookie monsters all by myself.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #3  
Wen I'm thin fat'll be in

S/C/G: 162.8/156.2/143 (pounds)

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I'll bite. **** I've bitten into everything else anyway!!
I just finished a huge festival ( I'm Indian and live in India) It's called Diwali..and did I feast!
So tell me...how do i survive Christmas??? :-))
Soulmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #4  

Yay, Soulmia!!! My first contender! I'll post again later, as I'm on my way to work right now... Cheers & let's do this!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #5  

So. I'll take the liberty of declaring today as the official start date of the 'feasting season', given that tomorrow is Halloween & all of candy **** will break loose. Here goes:

10/30: 60 minutes of cardio, 1300 calories, 3 liters of water
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #6  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

This is a great idea, since this is such a hard time of the year to try to lose weight. I'm already invited to three Thanksgiving feasts the week before Thanksgiving. Add that to a Halloween party tomorrow night and lots of candy in the office, and I'm going to have a battle!

I've been staying under 1500 calories, with only a couple cheat days per month. My goal is to allow additional calories on "feast" days, but then get right back on the wagon. I'm allowing myself 2,000 calories tomorrow. I'm bringing a fruit platter as my contribution to the pot-luck feast, and I plan to eat some of it instead of all fattening desserts.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #7  

Heya, Ashley!! Your 'plan of attack' sounds awesome; thanks for joining!! So, three Thanksgiving feasts, eh? I’ve just two to look forward to. As if one weren’t enough...

Here’s today’s survival tidbit (fresh from my mailbox):

It's Not About Cheating

Cheating doesn't exist. In fact, screw that word! It's filled with negative connotations that imply you're being "bad" in some way. Try to banish that concept from your mind entirely. This is not about cheating; it's about balance. Some days we eat less, and some we eat more. If you happen to eat more than your plan requires on one day, work out harder and eat less the next. In the long run, as long as the more moderate days outweigh the less moderate days, you will achieve weight loss. It's that simple.

(Or, is it? )

And here's the gist of my plan: I will not count calories nor binge on the following days: 11/22, 11/23, 12/24, 12/25, 12/31. I really do look forward to thoroughly enjoying my meals without feeling dangerously bloated afterwards... And if I have to visualize myself feeling serene and happy in the aftermath of a small, yet satisfying holiday meal, so be it.

10/31: 1 hr Body Pump, 1200 calories, 3 liters H2O-- NO candy!!! (Funny, I did plan on cheating today. Blah!)

Let's win the battles AND the war, Ashley!

cheers,
elizabeth
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #8  

Smile

I would love to join in here to, don't fancy getting lost in some huge thread .

My christmas season is summer which is great.
I only have my boys for half the day and they would have pizza if they could.
So i really only have myself to watch out for.
I don't eat meat, but i do eat fish and seafood. i love prawns and shrimp so that will most diffently be on the menu..
I plan to have heaps of my fav fruit. I haven't really looked into it yet.
but as I will be on my own that day I am going to have a really nice lunch.
And I will allow myself a dessert. Other then that i don't like most of the usual snacks, and I find once you eat so much you feel ill, your whole meal is ruined. I plan to plan .
as for the rest of the holiday

I WILL be good
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #9  

Hi, kiwichic!! No, I wouldn't want you to get lost in some huge thread, either. I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
I plan to plan .
...to plan. (It's a good tactic.)

I'm sort of a seafood & fish fanatic, too; if nothing else, salmon is definitely going to be on my menu. But I'm also trying to come up with some healthful alternatives to holiday foods... Of course, I don't cook (I can't cook) so my list of acceptable foods is limited to hot beverages & snacks, of which sugar-free apple cider is an absolute favorite.

11/01: 60 minutes of cardio, 1200 calories, 3 liters H2O
Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #10  

Smile

I am up for an exercise challenge in another thread. I didn't see that you have to mark the box before you submited your message , so now I have to hunt for which challenge I signed up for . I will plan my food for the holidays and it will all be simple stuff. As it's summer here I will be having lots of fruit.

Are there other interesting challenges happening on this board at the moment ?

cheers
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #11  

Heya. I hope you found your way back to the exercise challenge! This forum is replete with interesting challenges, kiwichic; it's up to you to decide which one fits your needs & goals the most. I'd say join in as many as you'd like, as long as they keep you focused & centered, & happy & sane...
My main priorities are to remain binge-free and survive the holidays without gaining any (more) weight. So, here I am.

10/31: 1 hr Body Pump, 1200 calories, 3 liters H2O-- NO candy!!!
11/02: 1 hr Body Pump, 1400 calories, 3 liters H2O

Cheers to you, too!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Default Can I join in?

I've been looking for a fun group for support during the Great American Eat-athon that started on Halloween! Besides the usual wanting to lose weight, I've recently been placed on a gluten-free diet (temporarily, I hope ) which means I have to be good about planning and not feeling deprived, like a fanatic or a party-pooper. I have a short trips out of town, and some big changes coming down the pipe at the office, all of which make staying on program challenging for me...I want to spend New's Eve celebrating how well I got through the holidays, with momentum to continue losing in 2007.

So I hope I can join you! Thinking of this in weekly increments helps me a lot. My goals between now and Monday are: workout every day; stock up on good food for next week; do yoga at least once and meditate at least twice.

I'll be thinking over the weekend about overall goals for the next eight weeks.

Good luck!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydc View Post
I want to spend New's Eve celebrating how well I got through the holidays, with momentum to continue losing in 2007.So I hope I can join you! Thinking of this in weekly increments helps me a lot. My goals between now and Monday are: workout every day; stock up on good food for next week; do yoga at least once and meditate at least twice.

I'll be thinking over the weekend about overall goals for the next eight weeks.

Of course you can join, Judy!! You have an awesome attitude, noble goals & a realistic plan-- you'll fit right in. Be sure to keep track of your progress, too; every teeny increment counts & it can be very motivating when you look back at your efforts as a whole... And please don't hesitate to share any and all ideas, thoughts, frustrations & epiphanies you may have.

Take care!

10/31: 1 hr Body Pump, 1200 calories, 3 liters H2O-- NO candy!!!
11/02: 1 hr Body Pump, 1400 calories, 3 liters H2O
11/03: 45 minutes of cardio, 1500 calories, 3 liters H2O
11/04: 30 minutes of cardio, 1300 calories, 2 liters H2O
11/05: 1 hr Body Pump, 2000 calories, 2 liters H2O

Last edited by elizabeth28; 11-05-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I struggled (and gave in) to extra carbs Saturday and Sunday evening, otherwise I did okay. Been thinking about a weightloss goal for New Year's Day, which is now....220 or less, which will be a little more than a pound a week, and a real challenge for the season. In some ways it is a victory just to maintain during the eating frenzy, but for where I am mentally, with losing so slowly this year, it will be a huge boost for me to start seeing some new numbers on the scale.

So I have a clean house, a kitchen full of healthy food options, a packed gym bag and an assortment of goals. I'm ready to do this!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #15  

Yay, Judy!! You're all set!!

I had such a rotten day, yesterday... It was disappointing, to say the least.
And I shouldn't have weighed myself this morning, but I did, and thankfully the scale was rather good to me: 140.9 lbs. Not bad, considering yesterday's dietary transgressions. I think I'll aim at 139 lbs for next week, before I get too complacent... I'll post my stats (workout, calories, etc.) later this evening.

Take care,

elizabeth

PS. I found (and bought) eggnog flavored tea! Zero calories & almost as good as the real thing, when prepped with Splenda & non-fat milk. Isn't that neat? (I think so. )