Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Wink Challenge for the nerds! Walk to Mordor!

In a recent posting from Nerd Fitness, which you can find here... a wonderful challenge is listed. This is, the walk to Mordor challenge. You may stop reading here if nerd-dom makes you ill, but if you are intrigued and also enjoy walking, do read on! This link is to a fitness blog (not mine), so hopefully it is relevant enough to be appropriate to post here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

I've been a pretty big Tolkien nerd for the past 10 years or so, starting when I saw the movies in high school and then managed to read most every piece of work that the man had written. Good thing I was in high school at the time because I had the time to take down such an undertaking. But this posting intrigued me!

Someone figured out that it was about 1779 miles from Bag End to Mordor. The blog post also lists other exciting numbers like the number of miles it took for the party to get back to Hobbiton, as well as the Grey Havens. If you're interested in a shorter trip I think you can rummage around and find some info about it.

So I am going to take the challenge... I started walking again for the past 4 days and I've racked up a whopping 12 miles. If you click on the links that take you to the breakdown of miles(http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchal...d/bag_end.html), this only takes me out of Hobbiton, over the Brandywine Bridge, and into the Green Hill Country, just past where Sam and Frodo stop to eat some supper on the first night of the quest. It took me 4 days to do what they did in 3 hours!

Anyway, I think I shall take the challenge!

I'm no Frodo... apparently the hobbit walked 18 miles the first night. Walking 5 miles a day, it would take just under a year to complete the mission. I haven't worked up to 5 miles a day yet. I've been doing between 2-4, though I'm hoping to bring that up to 5 over the next few weeks.

Would anyone else like to join the extreme hobbit to Mordor challenge? You could throw a doughnut off a cliff or something to celebrate at the end. In fact, if you make it to the end of this, you can even eat the doughnut to celebrate!

So start logging your miles! Set a goal for how long you would like to take to get there, or how many miles a day you will start with, and we can become our own little Fellowship. You can do the challenge any way you like, as long as you can record distance (biking, walking, running, treadmill, eliptical, swimming... whatever you like to do!)

Last edited by Everlasting; 09-08-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I'll join. I will do a combination of different modes of travel to get there. Also, just to ease the recording process, I am going to count the miles I have logged since Sept 1st.

Hobbiton to Mt. Doom: 1779
Traveled: 25.5
Remaining: 1753.5

NERDS FOR THE WIN!

Last edited by gatorgirl6; 09-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #3  

So excited for our nerd walk! I can't wait to get some more miles in tomorrow. I'll be combining forces too... mostly just walking and eventually getting into running hopefully, though I don't have a gym pass and we get lots of snow and ice here, and I have a baby, so I think my winter walking will most likely be accompanied by Leslie Sansone DVDS... haha... Leslie Sansone goes to Mordor!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #4  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS! I am SO in! I'm geeking out here!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Yay! I wonder if I can do this based on "steps" rather than miles- since I wear a bodybugg I know what my steps are. How is everyone else recording their distance?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #6  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Kelly315 - You can convert your steps to distances. You can calculate how many steps you take in a mile or you could use the average - typically 2000 steps/mile

Join us, precious.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #7  

Yeah, I've heard 2000 steps/mile, though you could measure your stride length and get super accurate on it...

How exciting. Who is going to do some walking today and get even closer to Mordor? I'm planning a hike this afternoon if the weather clears up as it's supposed to do so.

I posted about this on Facebook last night and a friend noted to me that "one does not simply walk into Mordor", and that note duly taken, I think when we reach that point we will have to either bike or swim or do something other than walking to get over the borders into Mordor, you know?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm totally in. I'm a shortie with a small stride, and I found a website that suggested 2,400 steps is closer to a mile for someone like me. I'll double check with my bodybugg, but I think that should be accurate enough.

Such a fun challenge! I had kind of wondered why Samwise wasn't super fit by the end of it though
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #9  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

I work 3rd shift Thursdays and Fridays, and I have a lot of homework to do, so I probably won't be walking today. But tomorrow, I plan on getting out there and racking up some miles!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #10  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Best challenge I've seen so far...While it's true that one does not simply walk into Mordor, it's worth a shot. Sounds like the enticement that I need to remember to put on my pedometer in the morning
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #11  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Joining in!! Love this challenge so much.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #12  

I'm glad there are some fellow inspired nerds. I find this so fun!

I walked 6.5 miles today! 4.5 miles with Leslie Sansone and then a 2 mile walk outside. My legs are sore! Now I'm up to 18 miles... there's Frodo's first day. Man! Tough hobbit!

Oh, I'm taking my baby to Mordor with me. When I walk at home she's right next to me toddling around and sometimes I'm carrying her, and when we're outside she's in the stroller! She doesn't tolerate the stroller for very long though... hope she'll allow me to go for more than 30 minutes and get a really nice walk in. Who takes a baby into Mordor???!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

I am SO in. Just bookmarked the mile marker site. Giggled with hubby over how epic this is

Going to buy a pedometer tomorrow and set my fuzzy hobbit feet on the path starting Monday!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Oh this is fantastic! What an inspired idea. I too shall walk to Mordor!
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/183/145

Height: 5'5"

I LOVE this! Hubby and I are huge LoTR fans, so hopefully I can get him to join, too. Thanks for posting this! Must buy pedometer tomorrow!!
Pilgrimage is offline   Reply With Quote