Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 11:33 AM   #1  

Default Bulimia

Just wondering if there was anyone here that is struggling with bulimia. love to hear from you...
Mon
Old 07-09-2001, 06:01 AM   #2  

Post I am bulimic too

I started with bulimia when I was 11 years old, at 16 I ruptured my esophagus from exsessive purging and had stripped all the enamel off my teeth, making them very sensitive. At that time I spent two months in an eating disorder clinic for treatment. But it wasn't long before I started abusing laxative and diaretics. By age 26 I was almost dying. My family intervened after I had a grand mal seizure due to electrolite imbalance. I spent a month in an intensive care unit recovering from congestive heart failure, liver failure and kidney failure. Then I spend another 6 months in one of the best eating disorder treatment programs in the country. They saved my life. I have not acted on any of my bulimic symptoms since. It has been hard and I am often tempted even years later here (I am now 29) Recently I was diagnosed with an endocrine disorder called PCOS that cause insulin resistance and obesity. My weight went steadily and quickly up, I gained 100 pounds in less than a year before I was finally diagnosed. I am following a special diet to treat the PCOS (no sugar and low-carb) and taking medication. My doctor assures me that the weight will come off when we get the PCOS more under control. But I can tell you that recently it is almost all I can do to NOT act on those bulimic impulses. I have never been so heavy in all my life. I already struggled with many body image issues. It is difficult to diet when you have an eating disorder like this. There is such a fine line between following a healthy diet and crossing over into my old pattern of restricting my food and purging. But I have been doing it, even though it is SO hard. Please feel free to email me if I can be of any support to you. It is possible to be free of bulimia, I know it, I am living free of the symptoms. But it will always be a mental struggle, I'm sure, especially right now with what I'm going through. I will support you in whatever way you need, please feel free to contact me.

Krista ([email protected])
Old 07-19-2001, 08:40 PM   #3  

Default me too

I honestly thought I was one of the VERY FEW people out there who was both bulimic and genuinely overweight. I don't even know how to go about beginning to lose weight properly. Last time I tried it, I got thrown back into a severe purging cycle. My problem is that I always ate to purge, rather than purging so that I could eat without guilt. I have stopped purging (a few lapses here and there) but I still hate my body. I have hypothyroidism and my latest spell was gaining 8 pounds in 9 days, during 4 of which I was sick and living on vegetable broth. It is very discouraging. My weight balloons with no help from me. I do drink too much soda and I eat candy once a day (I like a mid-day sugar rush when I am suffering from brain fog at work). But other than that, I don't actually binge. Do either of you have a suggestion? I am 24 years old and terrified that I am going to have a heart attack or something. But if I take up my bulimic habits again, my health won't actually get any better. I am not willing to restrict my food intake in specific ways, i.e. by counting calories, etc. I don't want to identify "bad" foods. I am too tired and weak from hypothyroidism to excersize frequently. So, I am at a complete loss. How have you guys been doing it?
Closed Thread