Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default October Chat!!!

Hey, girls! (and guys... or whatever)

What's new with everyone? Any big plans for October, other than getting buff and healthy?

Tomorrow I'm joining the gym again. I've got one week left of my mental health program, and then it's all about The New Me!!

It was a beautiful fall day here in Ottawa. Sunny and warm enough to sit outside with a book and a cup of coffee.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  
gotta lose it!

Ellis - hello!! We miss you at the beach!! I'm glad you're having a great day...check out the new avatar of Kloe!!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #3  

Darling, I miss you, too!
I LOVE the pic of Kloe! She's such a sweetie... I hope you're doing well, hon.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #4  

October is going to be FABULOUS! I love fall!

The half marathon training is going well. By the end of the month I will be running 8 miles!

The weight isn't going as well, but I had a feeling endurance training would screw me up some. I am debating moving my calories up to 1400 a day to try to keep from binging. I don't think the eating is due to my exercise schedule, but you never know. I think it is because my schedule got all thrown off and I suck at dealing with that!

Got up and got to the gym this morning, did 35 minutes of running and about 15 minutes of upper body strength training.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #5  

Wow, Melissa, 8 miles!! That's fantastic, hon!
I think increasing your calories a bit is a great idea. Sometimes we just NEED to do that, otherwise we're setting ourselves up for failure.

Fall is my favourite time of year, too, but it's darned HOT up here today! 31C (86F with the humidex) Phew!!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #6  

Cool Sorry, but it's Rambling Rose

Ah, October. The weather has warmed but not too warm (yet). The light has changed with a slight amber tinge. I am feeling Fall Fever for the first time in years. According to my Zen garden calendar, the Japanese call this time of year "Little Spring." It's making me restless, especially at work where I have a lot of papers to shuffle.
Well, I fell off the wagon this weekend, both days. I weighed myself Saturday morning and the scale hadn't changed since Tuesday weigh-in and there has really been no significant change in my status, e.g., not down a clothing size, etc. Then I had to go to the mall across town to exchange a defective tupperware shaker. I had wanted to do this since I've been on the fast (I use it for my meal shakes) but I was afraid of the food court which contains my favorite chopped Cobb salad. I decided that since I hadn't lost anymore weight anyway, I should maybe up my calories a little to get my metabolism moving again (this theory is all over this forum). Therefore, I would have the salad. I ordered a small instead of the usual large and I was actually full after eating only half, but did I stop ----noooo. Then I told myself I would walk it off shopping. But there are no shops of interest to me anymore so I left. Oh - and the ironic thing is that the tupperware shop isn't there anymore so I didn't even accomplish my mission. Then I went back across town in time to go grocery shopping for a stuffed chicken breast and a half bottle of wine and some alpine lace cheese. Why not, I'd already broken the fast. I also bought a piece of apple pie, which I did not eat that night. The next day I decided to use my free movie popcorn coupon which had been burning a whole in my pocket for the last month. And as long as I was eating the popcorn and had the pie leftover, might as well have dinner. More wine, tuna salad on a roll, mozzarella/tomato salad and of course, the pie.
I tried to analyze my emotions during this time, but it's difficult. I felt defiant, rebellious. Also, I realized the fantasies about the food were much better than the reality and that I need to focus on my long range goal, which is to get down to a healthy weight and try to maintain it. So I'm ready to get back on the wagon and committed to seeing this thing through. I think I've set myself back a week or so, but I can live with that. I don't think I feel guilty - just annoyed.
I went to my doctor today. He was happy with my lower blood pressure without meds and lower cholesterol as well as a good blood sugar reading (without most of the meds I was on). Although he encouraged me in the program he also said something really annoying, which amounted to that if this doesn't work, I can always try bariatric surgery. He's mentioned the surgery repeatedly. I read the forums here and have done research and besides the high mortality rate and the potential for major complications, the surgery does not prevent you form putting on weight if you don't change your habits. I just wish he'd been encouraging without bringing up the subject. (I don't mean to criticize anyone who's done it, it's an individual decision.)
Well, I have certainly blathered on. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies!

Rosetta, it happens to everyone. As long as you jump right back on the wagon you'll be okay. It is not that you fell down that is bad, it is if you stay down! I also had a bad weekend. I think something was in the air.

I am not sure male doctors know exactly how to deal with overweight women. My doctor is very impressed with my weight loss, but actually asked me last time I was in "Are you sure you're not puking your food back up or anything?" OOOOOkay? Where did that come from? This is the healthiest I have ever been and he decides I might be bulimic.

Hang tough! Ultimately, how you lose the weight is up to you.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #8  
Cynical RedHead

Rosetta - I sympathize and understand. I pretty much did the same thing sunday night. I got called into the office sunday, and decided to get a sandwich and a cookie for lunch (i hadn't eaten breakfast). So i get home, and have leftover steak and mushrooms from saturday. and a glass of wine. and then a chocolate bar. and then I had a pork pupusa.

I knew i *shouldn't* be eating all of this late at night, but part of my mind just went - I don't care, i'm hungry and i'm going to eat whatever i want.

I did better yesterday, even though once again i got so busy at work all i had was a v-8 during the day. so that means the remaining 1500 calories i ate yesterday were all between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. I am realy trying to do better today. I ate breakfast at least!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #9  

Ahh, FishWoman - you have got to eat! I wouldn't worry about the late calories though. If you were within your calories for the day it doesn't hurt anything to eat late in the day. Your body doesn't know what time it is!

I am feeling awesome this week.

Instead of getting down on myself about screwing up I figured I would try a different approach and reward myself for how far I have come. I bought some new makeup, had my eyebrows waxed and got a new fabulous pair of jeans ($10 on clearance!). I plan on getting that pedicure I owe myself at lunch. I do much better when I feel good about myself, so I just decided to fake it. It's working and I feel much better.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #10  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Hey all! Sorry I haven't been around, work & school catching up to me!

I'm going on a retreat in St. Louis next Thursday!!! WOO HOO! I'm so excited I can't WAIT!

I have been steadily losing, I'm down to 150 right now. I'm HOPING I will make my October goal of 149, but we'll see.

I want to be 140 by the end of the year. Can I do it? Only God knows!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #11  

Cool

Hi. Well, I weighed in at the clinic last night and surprise - I had lost a lb. Whopee. All is not lost. So I'm back on the straight and narrow.
Fishwoman - Melissa is right. The time you eat isn't important (I eat my last meal at 9:30 or 10), but it's all about the calories. Just don't let yourself get too hungry because that's what throws things off. Keeping V8 juice around is a good idea. It supplies instant energy and is much better than sugary drinks.
Melissa - You have a good attitude. This will help you drop the lbs.
Rachel - I'm sure you can lose the 10lbs. by the end of the year. It just requires some vigilance on your part not to use the holidays as an excuse to overdo it.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #12  
Cynical RedHead

Yesterday and so far today I have been able to eat properly! Breakfast, snack (today), and lunch. I had a yummy dinner last night and plan to have a bagel and lox for dinner tonight.

Yay Rosetta! One pound at a time is the way to go!

Rachel - I think 10 pounds by the end of the year is very reasonable. I am hoping to lose 15 pounds by Jan. 8th, and think that if i can keep on track, it is doable.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #13  
Life is a cabaret

A HUGE hi and hugs to everyone!

I'm so sorry it seemed like I fell off the planet. It wasn't intentional, I assure you! As it happens, all those "IBS" attacks I was having... the pain, the vomiting, etc. Well ladies, it turns out that it was my GALLBLADDER! Can you believe that one? And here's the kicker.. for the last 10 years I've been diagnosed over here and in England with IBS... the whole time it's been my gallbladder and no one ever suspected or tested it! So, I had emergency gallbladder surgery just over two weeks ago after a 4 day attack from eating two eggs and three bites of whole grain pancakes with sugar free syrup. Is that a kick in pants or what? The surgeon told my mother that he'd never seen anything like it. Apparently my gallbladder was a mess worse than he'd ever seen and the stone ... THE ONE stone... was the size of a small grade A egg! (I have it at home!) I mean holy crow, right??

So, I'm back on track and back to work now as of this past Monday. I've missed two weeks of work (which means no pay for 2 weeks! ) and for those of you that remember... I have no insurance. Ahhhh! What to do with a $30,000 hospital bill eh? I'm being put forward as a (this cracks me up) CHARITY CASE to see if I can get my bill paid. How humbling.. but please do cross your fingers for me... I need it!

On the bright side, the amazing, supernatural and mighty fine looking surgeon I had was able to get the monstrosity out of my body laproscopically! It took him a LOT of time and patience, but he did it. I'm so grateful. I thought to lose all this weight and then have some shark bite looking scar... I'd jump out of the hospital window!

I'm also pleased to say that I've managed anywhere between a 3 and 7 lb loss during my episode. I say between 3 and 7 because the scale has been as low as 213 and as high as 217. The latter is probably more accurate, at least for the time being. I couldn't and didn't eat very much for days after surgery because I felt nauseous and didn't want to risk being sick. My insides couldn't handle a hiccup, let alone a sneeze or vomiting. So, I have a feeling that the supplements I've eaten recently have stuck to my body like glue. But, that's okay. I can deal with it. The doctor and the surgeon both gave me their seal of approval to carry on with my diet so I'm very happy. I'm also thinking very seriously of becoming a certified Health Advisor for Medifast so I can sell their products. Normally I couldn't sell time to a dying man but I believe in this program so much that I'm sure I could make something of it. There's not much profit to be made, but if I knew I could help just one person or keep someone from having gastric banding or bypass surgery, that alone would be worth it.

Other than that, everything else is (thankfully) same-o same-o. I'm sorry I can't respond to everyone individually as normal but I'm thinking of you and did read all the posts. (It's my memory you see... like a sieve!)

Um... Ellis - Miss you and so glad to see that you're doing well. The weight will go.. just have faith and hang in there. Good luck on the remainder of your class too!
Fishwoman - Hi and welcome! The more the merrier
Rosetta - Aren't you doing fantastic as always? You go girl.
Melissa - You amaze me with your ability to run. Your doctor is crazy. Tell him to get his head out of his backside and praise you properly because you've worked damn hard. If not, rap him upside the head with his stethoscope!

Big hugs to everyone and I'll be around more often now that the "bear" is gone and I feel better!

All the very best!

Alisha
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #14  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Hourglasslass -- Hope you can get the whole mess figured out!!! Glad you got it out though -- that must have really been painful!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #15  

Cool

Alisha - good grief How could all those doctors misdiagnose that?! I had gallstones for 10 years before I finally let them at it, which they did six years ago, also laprascopically. It was a relief when it was finally done. If I ate the wrong foods I'd pay for it. Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well. But my goodness -- $30k! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get that charity designation. That's a big burden to carry.
Fishwoman - Hope you're still on the path.
Closed Thread