Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #16  
Searching

Welcome Clipper! We would be glad to have you, please join us on our weekly thread as we each make our own journey to recovery.

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #17  
ntn9802

Hi. I am definetly an overeater. I've gained 25 lbs my first year in NY. It's been very difficult for me to lose this weight because I try to diet and then emotional triggers cause me to binge eat and I start the whole cycle the next day. Please help! I want to overcome this and I haven't been successful on my own.

Any suggestions? I can't afford any counseling or groups that take money.
ntn9802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 PM   #18  

Hi all. I'm a compulsive eater too. I do attend an OA group and I'm looking for some additional support. I happened upon this site today! I'd love to be a "regular" too.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 340/332/200

Height: 5 foot 7

i can reply yes to almost all of these questions. but there are no OA meetings in my area.
hugemomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #20  
Curvy Vixen

Hello all,
I am a complulsive addict of food. I have been I think all of my life. Food gave me the friendship, security and warmth I was lacking in my childhood. I would love to do a OA meeting in a chatroom? I am new to this site, is there a chat room here we can all meet? Can someone post the meeting days and times of meetings through OA. I would greatly appreciate it.
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Overeating...

I answered yes to almost all of those questions. I can never remember a time when I didn't use food to cope w/ my emotions. Whenever life gets chaotic, losing myself in food feels like the only sensible thing to do. I know that's not true. There's exercising, journaling, reading, etc.; but when this is all you know, how do you change? I have had a few successes w/ weightloss, but nothing permanent. Something stressful would always enter my life, and then before I knew it (or could stop it), all the weight would be back, and then some. I am at my heaviness right, almost 260, and I feel so hopeless. I am in school full time, and working full time. Stress is all around me, and I keep telling myself that when the stress lets up, then I'll be able to lose the weight. But what happens when something stressful comes up again; the whole cycle starts again. I need help. Please.
krp28806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

krp28806 -- Hate to disappoint you but stress NEVER really leaves your life. When you'll be finished school, it'll be looking for a better job, a demanding boss, whatever enters your life that's new, will be stressful. You have to start thinking before putting food in your mouth. Are you REALLY hungry or feeding an emotion? If you are feeding an emotion go for a walk, take a bath, floss your teeth, read a book, go study, drink water, as long as it's not food. You just have to make the right choices of eating healthy and exercising. It's all up to YOU and YOUR choices... Good Luck!! Post anywhere on the forum and ask any questions you may have about a decent food or exercise plan... TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #23  

Height: 5'-2"

krp28806, I can so relate to how you're feeling. I was that way for many years, and it's so debilitating.
Ilene is right... the stresses will always be there for us. But what we have to do is learn coping skills to deal with those stresses.
I think the first thing is to recognize the stress for what it is. Often we're the cause of our own stress. For instance, I used to put off paying our bills. It would constantly be in the back of my mind... "I must pay those bills!"... and instead of taking two minutes to sit down and pay them, I'd go for a few weeks STRESSING about not having performed the task!
Or in high school and college... I'd get terribly stressed over exams and projects without recognizing that if I'd taken a little more time to study/work, I wouldn't feel NEARLY as stressed in the long run.
I've been really stressed lately because I'm feeling overwhelmed with my house. It's full of STUFF and projects, etc, and the fullness is stopping me from "living". I recently acknowledged that dejunking my house would be a major step towards simplifying my life, and I've been bagging stuff up like crazy and taking it to the Sally Ann. I have a sign that says, "The more you consume, the less you live", and that's REALLY helping me a lot.

I suspect that you're not taking enough time for yourself. (like the rest of us!) My daughter and I took yoga for a couple of years, and while I deeply resented taking 90 minutes out of my "busy life" twice a week, I always felt WONDERFUL afterwards!
I think that's a maturity thing, and most of us suffer from it. We know we need to take time for ourselves, but we feel we don't have that time. Crazy.

Put away the feelings of hopelessness, and DON'T give up! We're here for you, hon.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #24  

I am having such a difficult time and it's only been a week since I have been trying to loose wieght.

I have lost 6 lbs. I had my first weigh in day yesterday. I am still hungry though and it's driving me nuts. I am resisting so far but I just feel so miserable and hungry!

I just want to eat something so badly.. but it's not even lunch time. I feel like I don't know what in the world to do... maybe I can eat a granola bar or something...

I have to be honest.. I can't stand being feel like I don't have control and like I have to fight ever minute not to over eat.. it's has left me so discouraged...
Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Lolita do you eat 3 square meals/day? I find that I do much better if I have 5-6 meals/day... I eat every 3 hours, if I'm hungry in 2 hours I can just say, well wait only 1 hour and you can eat again... I eat a portion of carbs and protein at each meal , for example: 1/2c cottage cheese with strawberries and splenda... Since I have been doing this I am never ravenous and I make much better food choices... If you let your blood sugar levels get too low you will feel listless and lazy and you will fall off plan...I hope this helps, let us know...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #26  

Lolita, what kind of "diet" are you doing? Do you have all the right foods available and on hand? One of the most important keys to sticking to a diet is being prepared. If you have the good foods there, you're less likely to reach for the bad ones.
Hang in there, girl... you can do this!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #27  

Hey Ilene,

I was eating 2-3 very small meals per day. And I learned my lesson FAST. I am having 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. And if I get really hungry I have decided to go ahead and have some fruit or veggies. Because this has to be a lifestyle change and I realize that now. A lot of the ladies here gave me some very good advice. I have also started to track my progress on www.fitday.com. Which is fantastic for me! It really helped motivate me. And I think you are right, what happened was my blood sugar level was falling way to low. I was feeling so tired and miserable. Plus I was trying to exercise. LOL! What a moron. We live and we learn though.

Ellis, I was trying to do a diet called the 90/10 Weight-Loss Plan. You get to eat 90% nutritious foods and 10 percent "fun" or junk foods in moderation. I didn't actually follow it properly. I was supposed to have 1600 cals a day. I had more like 1000 because I just felt so desperate to lose weight. Bad idea.. a mistake I will not be making again. I do need to go grocery shopping which I will be doing later today.

I think I am going to stick with the 90/10 Plan but not kill myself over it. I am going to pay close attention to what I eat, keep up my exercising, and plenty of water.

I got my act together immediately. I had a large salad for lunch, half of a granola bar, and some fruit. I had some beef stroganoff for dinner. I was going to eat a salad but the stroganoff filled me up just fine. Plus I drank water, and a small glass of Lemon tea.

I did an excellent job yesterday on my exercising. I did 40 mins of running and speed walking on my treadmill, 15 mins of Boxing with a Heavy Bag, 30 mins of Yoga, and I tried this new thing called, "The Art of Sensual Dance".

So I am back on track and I feel a lot better. I think I just needed to put things in proper perspective, get some support and some good advice. And I got just that! I can see 3FC is going to help me a great deal in my weight loss journey.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #28  

Lolita, I'm so glad you had a good day! Congratulations on the exercising!!
Yes, it's really important to eat enough calories. We can really screw up our metabolisms if we don't.
Hey, I almost picked up that diet book at the grocery store this morning! It really appealed to me, because I'm a junk food addict, and I just CAN'T go cold turkey. Maybe I'll take a look at it...
It reminds me of a "diet" I made up a couple of years ago. (I think I mentioned this before) Instead of eating a big bag of Doritos every day, I ate a small bag a day, plus I exercised for 20 minutes a day. I lost 20 pounds that summer.

"The Art of Sensual Dance", eh? I'll bet THAT'LL work some underused muscles! Good going, girl!!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 AM   #29  

Ellis,
Thank you so much! I am have to say I am so proud of myself. I have another good day with eating and exercising yesterday too. Went to Curves and to the YMCA Gym. I did 30 mins at Curves. 20 mins on the Bike and 25 mins on the Treadmill at the YMCA. I have decided though that I want to go back to Weight Watchers. I think I would just be more comfortable with it. Plus there is a lot of support for it online and offline.

And I hear you about not wanting to go cold turkey. That's really difficult especially if you like an occassional treat of Doritios like your said or a cookie.

Congrats on your weight loss. Seems like you are doing very well!

Yeah.. I got the Art of Sensual Dance, and this other DVD as well about um.. well.. lol.. you know "Sensual Dance".. LOL! I felt like I needed more confidence. I have an issue with my self esteem and I really needed a boost. It helped too! Plus I can't wait to learn all the moves so I can show my husband! I told him what I was doing and he got all excited just because I showed him the DVD cover! He can't wait to see me dance! LOL!

Thanks again and take care,
Lo
Old 08-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #30  
a work in progress...

Hmmm...I think I have found the place I need to be! I'm a long time 3fc-er, but kind of fell away from it these past few months. During that time (well, not just then) I have managed to embody practically every single statement describing the compulsive overeater, and have packed on a good, no! BAD! 20 lbs. Obviously, being here had some kind of power over me...something that at least kept me from gaining. Oh, yes! That would be accountability!

I am a compulsive overeater through and through. I've been to a few OA meetings, but just didn't find the 'right' one, I guess. I'd really like to hang around here for a bit, if that's okay. I recognize Miss Chris and Ellis from the Alternachicks threads! I look forward to getting to know everyone else.

Wow. I really feel as though I've taken a step in the right direction! Feels good.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote