Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Question Lack of Motivation, what do you do?

Since I currently am trying to lose so much weight, I am having a hard time with my motivation and my old tricks for helping just do not work anymore. I have already made out a clear eating and exercise plan, so I am really excited about all of it, but once I start exercising I immediately just want to stop. It's ridiculous, I know because I realize what I am doing has helped me lose the weight I already have. I'm not like this every day, and I usually finish my workouts. I just want to know if you guys have any advice or tips on keeping your motivation up and DOING it on those days when you just feel BLAH.

Thank you in advance!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Have you considered changing your workouts to something you enjoy more? People are always saying that X or Y provides the best workout, but IMO the best workout is the one you can stick to. In the warm months I do nothing but jogging (because it's what I enjoy most) and my muscles are not wasting away. In the cold months I take gym classes, because I hate using the machines on my own.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #3  
Just call me Dana

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm back on track after a long time overeating, but here's what I'm telling myself: Simply do whatever I can maintain for the rest of my life. Maybe don't think of the plan as something you "go on" and "go off." Consider it one continuous plan that has more than one stage (weight loss, then maintenance).

It's funny you talk about motivation, because that's what I wrote about in my blog today. For me, commitment is a better plan. I simply can't maintain the motivation to be constantly revved about losing weight. But I can commit to following my plan (perfectly some days, imperfectly others) for the long haul.

And I agree with finding food and exercise you like. Again - something that doesn't feel like a burden to maintain.

You've done AWESOME already, and I know you'll continue to be successful!

PS: And finally, I just try not to think too much about it! Like Nike says, "Just do it."

Last edited by FirstLove; 09-12-2012 at 05:35 PM.
FirstLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: S /C /G - 162/122/110

Height: 5'3"

You can not grow if you are afraid of taking risks and making mistakes."- Dani Johnson
This is so true! If you dont take the risks and step out of your comfort zone you'll never know if you can achieve it. Set your dreams and goals high! Do something every day that pushes you out of your comfort zone, something that might be risky but will bring you closer to your end goal! Dont live saying youll start tomorrow, next week, next month. Start today! Live in the moment and live like there is no tomorrow!
LUCYWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S /C /G - 162/122/110

Height: 5'3"

hope this will help
LUCYWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #6  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with freelance. The best way for me to get myself exercising is to do something I enjoy the most. I absolutely love hiking in the mountains, and that helps keep me fit during the summer (need to find a comparable winter activity...getting up there for snowshoeing is much more difficult). I also make tennis dates with friends that have an equally low skill set like mine. For hiking I never want to stop because I have a goal at the end of the trail (summit/waterfall/lake/whatever).
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5"3

In my opinion If you're waiting for or relying on motivation for the most part you'll never get anywhere long term because even athletes don't want to or feel like working out even if they love it and need to do it, its just about doing it everyday (with the exception of 1-3 or even 4 at first rest days a week I find it easier to do something everyday even if its just a few minutes just to keep from drifting back into being sedentary).

You have to practice not doing things on your plan based on what you want when it comes to exercise, it doesnt matter if one day you miss it as long as you just disregard that blip and get back to it. I bet theres plenty of things you want but you say no to yourself because of financial reasons, its just a matter or learning how to say no to skipping your plan even though you know you have the power to do so, you also have the power to just do it regardless of feelings, emotions, mood or thoughts, there only that and nothing more.
I always kinda l
ike exercise but it was so sporadic but I defo used to eat what I wanted, and theres no way around it except evoking your inner self parent and saying no, I don't care how you [nagging feeling] feels, I will do this for 1 hour and then I will treat myself, deal?

Sound strange but I think it helps to redirect your inner dialogue.

Last edited by swissy; 09-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #8  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Try different workouts, and it only takes a few weeks for your body to get used to it and to actually start craving it.
Don't give up
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I feel you!!! Just gotta get over this hump...
Laurlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #10  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

I have that issue a lot. I hate the gym so my husband and I started taking like 6 mile walks at night when it is cooler. Try anything to take your workouts outside. You don't need a total overhaul just a few changes to motivate you. I actually recently joined Habitat for Humanity and it is tough!! You can get into shape and help people too! Whatever, just some creative ideas. Good luck!!!
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #11  
*Embrace Power*

Thank you for all of the responses and advice everyone! I feel like if I train my brain to just get up and DO IT I will be able to have that motivation factor like I had before. Also my husband wants me to start doing runs with him on a trail that has a few challenging hills and that really helped me want to kickstart myself again. I wanna be able to keep up with him!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #12  

I agree with all of the advice you've gotten. Your body will probably start to crave exercise soon if you keep it up- mine does. I get a high that has to be as good as drugs after most of my workouts (both cardio and strength training). My energy is also much better for hours afterwards.

If you are not sick, then you need to "Just do it!" Try not to even think about it. Put on a good song or distract yourself in some other way when you are feeling "blah."

Last edited by kelleyb; 09-18-2012 at 07:20 PM.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #13  

This may sounds strange but if you are doing an at home exercise program, exercise with your shirt off (bra on for support obviously) and wear shorts. That way you can look down at yourself and see the extra lbs and that can be motivating...it's harsh but it works a lot of the time. Secondly, put on some really upbeat music. Make a playlist that will get you to BRING IT! If you want some help making one you can PM me...I have a few that are super motivating.
mcoleman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #14  
*Embrace Power*

kelleyb- You are right, it's all about pushing myself to do it right now and I know it will become routine again. Just like this morning rolling out of bed to get ready for work, I kept thinking "I will just take a break today" but instead I packed my bag with my workout clothes and my P90X and did it on my break.

mcoleman- That's an awesome idea so I will definitely do that when I'm doing all the at home exercises! Most of my workout clothes are tight from regaining some weight so whenever I get dressed I get more pumped because I know they used to be loose, and I want that to happen again! It is harsh but sometimes harsh realities are the best motivation! I need to work on a playlist too, especially for my solo runs!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

I agree with above.

Change your workouts up and find something you actually enjoy doing. I'll get excited about a workout plan and I'll do it for a month or two and then ranodmly I'll start dreading going to workout and start feeling less than motivated; as soon as that happens, I re-evaluate my plan and change it up. Add differet exercises to my strength days, change the whole schedule up. Do a different cardio class - or different yoga. Or anything. It works for me and keeps me excited and happy to workout. Also, log your workouts! It helps you see the progress you're making in terms of fitness and makes you excited to keep working out so that you can see that number get better.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote