Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #16  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

alicia89 I know exactly what you're talking about! I've used the "once it's gone I can't be tempted by it anymore" excuse for so many things, and I too bring Tupperware with me everywhere and could never put dish soap on a cake.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
alicia89 I know exactly what you're talking about! I've used the "once it's gone I can't be tempted by it anymore" excuse for so many things, and I too bring Tupperware with me everywhere and could never put dish soap on a cake.
Yeah, I mean I guess if that's something that works for people then who am I to judge, but unless it's food you've prepared yourself it really does seem rude to me. I remember a while back I read a Miss Manners column in which the person writing in had hosted a dinner party, taken the time to make several handmake cakes and desserts, and then several of the guests proceeded to ask for a slice of cake, take one bite, and then empty half of a pepper shaker on the slice so that they "wouldn't be able to eat more". The host's feelings were extremely hurt and I think with good reason! I know when you are trying to lose weight you need to do what is right for yourself and not worry about hurting other's feelings but that is too much! Why not just share a portion with friends and each have a bite? Or frankly just decline in the fist place if you are going to struggle that much.

I find it rather rude to do that in a restaurant too, as someone who works in the food industry. I mean, the chef or cook has worked hard to prepare a meal for you and then you go and ruin it? It could be perfectly fine for lunch next day or even to give to the homeless man on the street on your way to the subway. I know that you've paid for it and so technically its yours to do what you want with, but I think that behaviour is in really bad taste. /rant off
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #18  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

About the restaurant foods and the huge portions sizes, I have found ways to reduce the waste by ordering from the sides menu, or the single item foods. At buffets, I look the whole buffet over first, then take a tiny dab of what looks the best, taste it back at my table and then decide what I want from that taste test.

Eating in other people's homes is more difficult to deal with their sense of portion sizes and foods. I try to make a point to compliment the host and say how wonderful and delicious everything looks even if I cannot eat it at that particular time. I never say I am on a diet and can't eat their food, I simply take a small portion and eat very slowly, usually they do not notice how much I eat. Compliments and paying attention to the effort made by the host really diverts the attention away from the amount I eat or don't eat.

As far as my worst habit, I think I have overcome most of them over time. I eat from a small bowl, so my portion size is always controlled. I find it more difficult to eat from a plate these days as I too have membership in the clean plate club. The bowl works for me.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #19  

Some of these sound all too familiar! I hate the way that junk food makes me feel. It makes me feel like junk! I gotta get this stuff out of my life for good!
MoniqueDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/180/110

Height: 5'9

My worst habit is eating when I am home alone. When everybody is buzzing around the house, i wont even leave my room. But the second I have to place to myself, I go right for the kitchen.
Sidsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 210/210/133

Height: 5ft 3

Oh my GOD, alicia, it's like looking into a mirror. I also was brought up to believe FOOD WASTE=END OF THE WORLD, and also got the 'starving children' lecture numerous times. Of course it's terrible that there are people living in those circumstances, but me not eating more than I need is unlikely to stop that happening.

My worst habit is also bingeing on stuff for the sake of 'not having it in the house to tempt me'. This week, I bought a multipack of little packets of salt and vinegar sticks, and having them in the kitchen, eating one a day, has been TORTURE.
Aphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #22  

Height: 5'9"

I have been binging as soon as I get home from work. No one is here to watch me do it, and I come home hungry.

Today for the first time, I had a yogurt at work to try and hold me over. So far so good, but no one is coming home still for at least another 45 minutes!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote