Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176.4/165.6/125

Height: 5'4"

Default I feel lost...

Hello everyone! So today is my first day posting on this forum. Before I joined, I would read different forum posts in this section, and it really inspired me to join myself. I also have a problem with binge eating, and I would really like to overcome this. I know it is what is preventing me from losing weight.
My story…I was always very thin through high school and college. I worked out regularly, and was active in dance and gymnastics. But, I can not say that I was a healthy eater. I struggled with bulimia/anorexia, off and on since I was 12, until I was 18. I saw a therapist at that time, that helped me overcome this eating disorder. In college, I messed around with diet pills. I loved the quick fix that they would give me, but did not love feeling like my heart was going to explode. After college, I moved out to California to start my career. I would go long periods of time without exercising, and I began to stress/binge eat more than ever. I have lived here for almost 6 years now. This last September, I joined an unlimited group personal training (sort of like a bootcamp, combination of cardio/strength training), and I fell in love. In the beginning, I was going 3 times a week, and in the last month in a half, I have started going 5 days a week. I have noticed my body getting stronger, and that has been a great feeling. I also have 3 pairs of jeans that didn’t used to fit me, that fit me now! However, I have only lost 2lbs.
I have really changed my diet in some ways. More vegetables/fruits, lean proteins, whole grains etc. I have been measuring my portions, and counting WW points. People I work with, and my boyfriend that I live with, see me eat healthy 80% of the time. However, they do not see when I binge, because I do it alone. It’s usually in my car on my way to work, or on the weekend when I am running errands. It doesn’t matter that I have just worked out extremely hard, and eaten a healthy breakfast. I have eaten anything from donuts, chips, to fast food. Usually around 350 – 500 calories. I can’t relate it to any specific emotion, except for I feel guilty and terrible afterwards. Sometimes I try and justify it by saying to myself that I burned it off at the gym, or I will burn it off at the gym, but it’s obviously not working.
I really want to lose this weight, and fit back into my skinny clothes. My older sister just got engaged this last weekend, and they are talking about getting married this September. I will be in the wedding, and I really would like to look and feel great! Since I have started to get a little older too (I’m 28) its becoming more important to me to be healthy, and not just skinny. I have lost weight before with FAD diets, but I really want to do it the healthy way this time.
LovePurple15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #2  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

I can relate, I joined a bootcamp at my gym and lost 8 pounds of body fat but gained 5 of muscle so i " only lost 3 pounds " I felt bad about not losing a ton of weight like they said I would but I got stronger, I could run I could lift weights I could do a lot of things I couldnt before I started it. Just keep plugging and take it one day at a time, When you get the craving change your reaction, Instead of talking yourself into giving in. Try convincing yourself otherwise. I often found myself at the burger king drive in ordering 2 or 3 breakfast sandwiches after I already did my exercise. Now I just don't go there I drive home and eat the healthy snacks that I bought , when I don't eat the junk that i crave I feel really empty, but maybe thats what we need to get used to feeling and know that feeling is whats going to get us where we want to be. I hope I helped and that you continue to do well You can fit into jeans that is really a great feeling! I am still waiting to get back into mine for now all i have is my stretch pants and I refuse to buy fat jeans.
Good Luck!!
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #3  

Thanks Cheeriloos! That actually does help me a lot. I have that same feeling of feeling empty if I don't eat something in my car on the way to work. I didn't do it this morning, and I kept on wanting to stop on my way. The thing is, once I am at work, I am never sad that I didn't stop. Congrats on the 8lb loss of fat! BTW, i love your spa treatment rewards you have on your signature. What a great way to reward yourself! I might have to copy you
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

OP---I can relate since I've been binging on and off since I was 12 with periods of VLCD where I was quite thin, so I can completely relate. It has taken me a really long time to not binge on a regular basis. For me, it was about figuring out what triggers the binge (anger, frustration, sadness, loneliness), and I would just stop and hit pause for a second right before I decided to binge to figure out what was bothering me that I was turning to food. Once you figure out your triggers, you can slowly become mindful of the situations/feelings that cause the binge and then slowly stop yourself.

I know it doesn't feel like it, but you do have the power to decide what you put in your mouth and you have the ability to change your behaviors if you really want to. it took me a long time to accept and admit this to myself, because I love the comfort that binging gave me, but I love being healthy and not feeling guilty and bad about myself more than I love that 5 minutes of binging.

Keep trying, and you'll find what works for you
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #5  

Sfree13 - First of all, congrats on your weight loss!!! I saw on your ticker, you have come a long way, that’s great! I do agree with you that only I have the power to decide what I put in my mouth. Mornings on my way to work, are when I normally binge, but I stopped myself this morning. There was nothing I wanted bad enough. I wasn’t starving, or even hungry, I had already had breakfast. Hopefully, the more I make the decision to not binge like I did today, it will get easier.