Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

On the bright side, when this is over, you are gonna have the cleanest colon in the entire state of (fill in your state here, or province, if that suits).

Seriously, though, you have just learned something about yourself, or circled back around to something you already knew: That when you're triggered, you will eat beyond the point when a rational person who avoids pain & gas & cramps would stop. There's a self-destructiveness to this that we have to acknowledge takes us to a very dark place. There's a rational version of you, who sits here posting about what you've done, fessing up, and there's an irrational version of you, who lives in the moment, doesn't let herself think ahead, & engages in behavior that may end up hurting.

The question is, why do you switch gears, and do you know how to pull the brake & stop it?

Was there any point when you think you could have stopped it?

If not after two, then after three? After four?

Have you ever thought of practicing stopping? Just a thought. Like observing yourself, and saying, "I can stop this at any time. And while three or four isn't good, it's not all of them, and I am going to stop now."

It may be too early for you to do this, but hold onto that thought, the next time this happens. Try stopping. You may continue, but at least do try. You may just think about stopping. You may stop & then start up again. That's good. I mean, not good, but it's better. That's better than nothing. That would be better than where you sound like you are. That means you are giving it a good fight, and that someday, maybe the next time, you will win & you will indeed be able to stop.

Last edited by saef; 09-29-2010 at 10:59 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
On the bright side, when this is over, you are gonna have the cleanest colon in the entire state of (fill in your state here, or province, if that suits).

Seriously, though, you have just learned something about yourself, or circled back around to something you already knew: That when you're triggered, you will eat beyond the point when a rational person who avoids pain & gas & cramps would stop. There's a self-destructiveness to this that we have to acknowledge takes us to a very dark place. There's a rational version of you, who sits here posting about what you've done, fessing up, and there's an irrational version of you, who lives in the moment, doesn't let herself think ahead, & engages in behavior that may end up hurting.

The question is, why do you switch gears, and do you know how to pull the brake & stop it?

Was there any point when you think you could have stopped it?

If not after two, then after three? After four?

Have you ever thought of practicing stopping? Just a thought. Like observing yourself, and saying, "I can stop this at any time. And while three or four isn't good, it's not all of them, and I am going to stop now."

It may be too early for you to do this, but hold onto that thought, the next time this happens. Try stopping. You may continue, but at least do try. You may just think about stopping. You may stop & then start up again. That's good. I mean, not good, but it's better. That's better than nothing. That would be better than where you sound like you are. That means you are giving it a good fight, and that someday, maybe the next time, you will win & you will indeed be able to stop.
Yes, yes and YES!! You have hit the nail on the head with this post. In the beginning I will eat one and stop and am actually satisfied. Then either boredom set in, I will read something about food or see something or I simply want to get rid of them and will eat and eat and eat. Stopping after each one and thinking to myself that's enough I don't even crave these nor am I hungry. Then I finish them off.

I think at times too I know I can always go back to low carb and get the weight off fast!! It's like low carb is my eating disorder instead of binging/purging or starving after a binge I resort to extremem low carb. Don't get me wrong I love a controlled carb way of eating and have had success when doing it correctly but I have learned over the years how to use it (the extreme version) as my Emergency Kit and I think that's why alot of times when I go on a binge although I hate it I "Know" I can reverse the damage of gaining in a matter of a week so it's kind of like a kid that knows they can get away with being "bad" because there is no lasting consequences.

Although I am afraid that my eating habits will eventually catch up to me and I want to stop before it's too late.

I haven't done this in a loooong time lately if I binge which has only been about 3 times since calorie counting instead of going to extreme low carb I just get back on track with calorie counting and whole food. So I am definitely working in the right direction.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I was able to make it to work this morning Let's just say God had mercy and allowed me to get home in time. My tummy still isn't 100% but I'm much better. Thanks guys!
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Glad you're feeling better!! I've been there, it's not pretty!
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #20  

S/C/G: CW: 156 / GW: 145 / SW:168

Height: 5'6.5

Glad I found this thread. I picked up a box of the chocolate brownies today out of curiosity and contemplating buying them for two months but avoided them and put them back on the shelf when I'd go to the store.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing them tonight and eating the entire box of 5 on my walk home. I couldn't stop at one or two. This is why I avoided buying them entirely because I'd eat them all. I also try to steer clear of processed, packaged food now. These are super fake and processed but pretty tasty. My stomach hurts now.

Still have no self control over treats

Last edited by vlm3315; 04-25-2015 at 10:34 PM.
vlm3315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #21  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylmn View Post
I have definitely been there! I truly don't understand the need to consume it because we want it to just be gone, but I've done it myself. Why wouldn't we throw it away? During a binge, just the thought of "I should just throw it away" makes me eat even faster to get it gone. It's like the angel on my shoulder might just win, so the devil has to hurry up & eat it all before that can happen.

Ugh...

Just get back on track right now. You may have some intestinal issues, though, so I wouldn't make any big plans for later today. I hope you feel OK.

May?? lol I hope she is calling into work today or just staying in!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 248/ticker/160

I did something similar to this yesterday. I had a perfect day eating 1564 calories, then I went and babysat at night and I ate a bowl of pretzels and a bowl of ice cream. Which would have been ok, had I only had a little bit. I had 3 servings of pretzels and 4 servings of ice cream. I was so mad at myself, I never keep stuff like that in my house SO I don't eat it, and so I don't binge I stay away from the TV room because it is right off of the kitchen. Well, so it is at their house too. So I was watching a movie with the kids, right next to a kitchen full of unhealthy food that I only have outside of my house when I decide that I am ready for a treat. I was feeling really low because of that. It was a bad decision that I made and it pushed me a little further away from my goal, instead of not eating and being pushed closer.

I was so mad at myself, but now I know it is a new day, I did great at breakfast and I am ready to charge forward and achieve my goal, as should you! One day of messing up isn't going to ruin months of dieting, it is just frightening...we worry if it will turn into two days, then three days, then a week, then a month. Your success is all up to you, you can do this! Just believe in yourself, congratulate yourself on coming this far so far (because it's a long way!), and continue your diet as you should.

Good luck!
Icontrolmyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #23  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Holy crap! I hope your toilet can take a punch!

Fiber one bars are NOT healthy. They are not health food. They are not diet food. They are CANDY BARS. Loaded in sugar, basically non-nutritive, and the "fiber" they contain is merely inulin which really has zero proof of behaving the way regular fiber does in the body. It seems all they do is make you gassy, poopy, and fat.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Gassy and poopy and fat! Oh my!

LOL I'm sorry I just had to laugh at that!

I have the same problem with granola bars. Can't buy them because I will just eat the whole box. Fortunately there are only about 4 or is it 6 bars? to a box. Been so long I forget how many bars. Nor do I care. Never buy them anymore.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I can't buy Kind bars, love them but no self control, when I buy chips I make sure I can handle the calories ( like 360 calories in the whole bag of Beanitos) because once I start I don't stop.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #26  

Don't be ashamed! We have all been there. Now you know these specific bars are one of your weaknesses, don't let the weakness control you, you control it.

Don't buy them anymore, instead look for a healthier alternative, which will allow you to feel happy, not disappointed when all of them are eaten.

You can do it
UnitedWeStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #27  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by applevalleygirl View Post
Gassy and poopy and fat! Oh my!

LOL I'm sorry I just had to laugh at that!

I have the same problem with granola bars. Can't buy them because I will just eat the whole box. Fortunately there are only about 4 or is it 6 bars? to a box. Been so long I forget how many bars. Nor do I care. Never buy them anymore.
True story!

I've had them before (fiber one bars) and I will admit that they are delicious. But, they are delicious because they're basically a Snickers bar.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 227/218/189

Height: 5' 10.5"

If you are going to get a bar, Get a protein one. The ones I get have 15 gm of protein and I'm full for hours off one. Because of the fake sweet to make it taste good, you usually are done before eating one.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 181/please see ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by popspry View Post
I have a rule about the things I have little self control around which for me is ice cream, pie, cake, etc - I'm only allowed to eat this stuff if I buy an individual serving (1 peice of pie/cake, 1 ice cream cone, 1 smoothie) so I don't have anything tempting in my pantry/fridge/freezer at home.
Such a good tip, which I also try to follow!! In my opinion, buying granola bars is like buying a box of chocolate bars. They're pretty much the same but with added fibre. So I'd rather pay more money for a chocolate bar and an apple and get a similar effect.
Don't worry so much for the overeating, we've all done something equal or worse! But as others have said, stay close to the toilet and drink A LOT of water (otherwise you might get the pipes clogged if you know what I mean!)
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #30  

Oh, no - k-boogie! I can totally relate to this. I have never actually eaten a fiber one bar, don't think I will try one now lol. I am trying to eat pretty clean and low carb, so I generally don't buy stuff that comes packaged in boxes with long ingredients lists. Probably for the best because somehow those chemical laden foods are so addictive. I never feel the urge to binge on carrots or spinach, or eggs, or nuts, etc - I don't care how bored or stressed out I am.

Maybe the bars are a trigger food for you, best not to buy them any longer. For me it is pepperoni, veggie chips, ritz crackers, and beef jerky. I just cannot eat a reasonable portion so I just can't buy them. Last night I had that jittery, must-eat-now urge, I could feel I wanted to eat everything in sight. However, it was after 8 pm and I have no junk in my house. I ended up eating a bag of 100 cal popcorn with hot sauce, two wedges of laughing cow cheese, and some peanut butter on the spoon in the space of 1 hour. So, I did have a "binge" technically but since I had no bad foods I actually still came in under my daily goals, go figure.

Hope you feel better soon!
aml0017 is offline   Reply With Quote