Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #1  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Question Eating when lonely

Hi Chicks!

I have just registered a new emotion called loneliness. I did not know of this emotions before because I thought it was sad to admit that I was lonely. So I denied it all my life and this emotion stayed with me and I never did anything about it. So I am sitting here alone this afternoon, trying to figure out why is it that I want to eat and the answer is because I feel lonely. I am an only child and I was often alone when I was little so all I knew was to eat because of it and therefore when I am left alone these days, this is all I know. It is not neccessarily boredom because there are ways to entertain myself but being lovely when alone is a different thing.

I thought I would share it with you. Just for today I don't need to eat just because I am lonely. I am ok with being lonely, I will sit in my loneliness utill I decide to do something about it.

Does that sound familiar to anybody? Dealing with emotions and accepting them is needed to remove the binges, no?
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Yep! I feel ya! being lonely is tough! But for what it's worth, you've got me if you ever need to vent, or discuss loneliness!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope for recovery View Post
Just for today I don't need to eat just because I am lonely. I am ok with being lonely, I will sit in my loneliness utill I decide to do something about it.
This is exactly how I've felt lately. Since becoming single again, my only real negative emotion anymore is loneliness (without having the SO around to tick me off!). And as an eating trigger, it's a good one. I try to fend it off with music or background TV (that's a bad habit I know), just having voices/noise in the house seems to help me a lot. I clean a lot more than I used to. And I come here for online companionship. Loneliness can bring you down, for sure, so I try pretty hard not to be glum about it. I remember when I used to think "I'd kill for 5 minutes alone in the house!" Well, here it is.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Just for today I don't need to eat just because I am lonely. I am ok with being lonely, I will sit in my loneliness utill I decide to do something about it.

Does that sound familiar to anybody? Dealing with emotions and accepting them is needed to remove the binges, no?
Yes, I think this is important, being able to sit with with emotions and realize that even if we do nothing (ie don't binge), that the feelings won't kill us. It can be really difficult to do, but when I am able to do it, it helps me not binge.

Quote:
It is not neccessarily boredom because there are ways to entertain myself but being lovely when alone is a different thing.
Just wanted to point out your typo/slip, because I thought it was a cute reminder, that you are lovely! Sorry you're feeling lonely, and I hope you know you're are not alone, and hang in there.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #5  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Thank you so much for being understanding and supportive, thanks for the typo as well, I do like it now, its funny. Today I felt anxiety in the morning but I did not eat on it and I did not act on it either. I really wanted to avoid something because I thought it was scary and I had to do it perfect. But I did not act out of the doubtful voice, I went there and things were much better than I thought. Have a lovely and less lonely day! I know today I won't be alone that much so that's good.
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #6  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

hope for recovery-
Please feel free to PM me anytime for a chat, to vent, anything!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #7  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I wish I could relate, I can't remember how long it's been that I have missed people. Alone all the time and like it to the point that others seem more like an intrusion, but I have known some pretty life sucking types! Remember there are worse things than being alone! That thought keeps me pretty happy.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote