Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Default Help! Cupcake Cravings!

I need some advice. For the past month or so, I've been craving cupcakes. Although I like pastries, I wouldn't describe myself as a cupcake person, so it's a bit surprising. Nonetheless, I'm obsessed by the type they make now that are the size of a softball with a thick layer of sickeningly sweet icing.

Last week, I went to a conference and during a break discovered that there was a store nearby called "Hey Cupcake." AAAGGHH!! I passed it twice, but didn't go in.

Since then, I've been avoiding everywhere they might be. Then, yesterday we had a going away party at work and a person brought in...you guessed it...homemade cupcakes. I stayed away and ate my apple instead.

I need to deescalate the cupcake desire here. The thought of getting one is scary because this is a 10 on the binge-worthy scale for me. I could easily polish off a dozen without any problem. I don't want to go here, so I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for how to dealing with this type of thing.

THANKS!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Hey Kylie!

Would having a single cupcake set you off? Or is the thought of having to buy (or make) the dozen or so that you think might lead to a binge? There's always the option of doing a single-serving microwave cupcake! I love Hungry Girl and she posts recipes like that all the time!

Here is one for a Peaches and Cream cupcake:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/bit....php?isid=1459

You'll get one cupcake and that might help with the craving.

If you think just one will set you off though, I'm not sure what advice I can give for that, since I struggle with it too!

Good luck! You can make it through this!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/141

Height: 5'2"

I've been having trouble with cupcakes lately too. I decided to eat one, and then while I was eating it I looked at the calorie content, decided that it wasn't worth 400 calories to me to enjoy one cupcake and threw the other half away.

I don't know what it is about them. I've found that a cold glass of OJ tends to help calm my sweets cravings, maybe that would help?
sarahtmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #4  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

It's so amazing to see this thread because just this morning I was looking online at my local cupcake shop to see what flavors were on board for today! Before I even ate breakfast I was planning on blowing my plan! Somehow I was distracted by the hot weather and decided to lay outside and get some sun. As soon as I started planning what to wear when I would go outside I thought cupcakes + upcoming summer wardrobe does not equal happiness

Somehow that snapped me out of a possible all day binge. The only thing I can suggest is to constantly think about your goals and decide if it's worth it to set them back! Especially if you know it's going to set you off on a binge. One cupcake won't do much damage, but a binge WILL physically and emotionally.

If you can't shake the craving, maybe you can plan everything you will eat one day and include 1 cupcake- and not allow yourself to deviate from the days plan? That way it won't be cheating or bad and create binge thinking? Just throwing some stuff out there Good luck! Stay strong
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #5  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

Working one cupcake into your plan if it will not set off a binge sounds very reasonable!

I wish I could eat just one of something sweet. My sweet tooth is my downfall.
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Just reading the title of this post set me off.... Not kidding. My stimulus control button is out of whack right now, and I think even the forums are getting to me when I read other people's triggers and start on my food obsessions.

sigh
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #7  

Well, I wanted to check in and let you know that I didn't go out and buy one (or more) cupcakes.

Instead, I scoured the Internet and got creative with a vegan cupcake recipe. This is the ingredients (to the best of my knowledge--my DH has a tendency to add a splash of this and that). Mix wet with wet, dry with dry, then combine and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. A recipe converter listed them at @100 calories and I topped them with light canned whipped cream.

They turned out great and the protein kept them tasty but filling enough not to binge too much (I planned to eat one and ate two--which is success in my book.) Since then, the urge for cupcakes has diminished significantly!

Chocolate Cupcakes
2 tablespoon canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat
1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

I'm having trouble seeing how that cupcake recipe is "vegan," considering the fact that it has both eggs AND milk in it ^^
But it looks really good though, I'm always nervous about mixing protein powder into things because I have had a few bad experiences. I want to try baking with applesauce though.
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #9  

I should have clarified this a bit better. I started with a vegan recipe I found online, then modified here and there. The end product, as you noted, is not vegan. Sorry.

I hear you about baking with protein powders. They can vary a lot in terms of the final product. I've been really pleased with the BSN Lean Dessert brand. Tastes really good and works well in recipes.