Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #16  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

Height: 5'6"

Happy Veterans day everybody! I have quite a few relatives who have fought in wars and I have a lot of respect for people who defend our country w/ their lives.

Day 19 today. Day 18 was a little rocky, but that was mostly due to not eating anything until noon (don't ask). My cals were in the high end of my range (1200-1800) that I allow myself, but still came out OK. No bingeing was done; I stopped eating when I was not quite full but close enough to where I knew I would be if I waited 20 minutes for my brain to catch up to my stomach! I don't miss that over-stuffed feeling that bingeing gave me at all.

For me, bingeing just does not fit into my life anymore. It was like an old friend that I was no longer compatible with. Worse than that, it was hurting me, and preventing me from moving forward with my life in a positive way. When I realized that, it made it easier to stop. Now when I think about bingeing, I also make myself think about how bad I feel physically and mentally after a binge, how good I feel when I'm on plan and treating my body w/ the respect it deserves, and how I'll never reach my weight loss and fitness goals if I don't cut bingeing out of my life entirely. Instead, I de-stress by exercising, reading, watching a movie, meditating, etc. I am slowly learning healthy behaviors to replace bingeing with. I am just trying to put only what I need into my body. I can't spiritually, physically or mentally afford to do otherwise anymore. Obviously, it's a process, but I think my brain can be re-trained!

I am going to the gym this evening to work out if it's open...have to check first! If not, my Plan B is to take a 3.5-4 mile walk/jog outdoors followed by some strength training at home. All I need at night here in Arizona is a sweatshirt and a pair of shorts.

Stephanie, how did Day 1 go? Jumping back on the wagon after only a weekend of bingeing is great. Before I had 18 days binge-free, I had a week-long, on-and-off, binge. That was the one that woke me up. One day soon you'll make it to Day 18 too (and beyond).

Michellelee, birthday parties are hard! GREAT job staying binge-free 14 days. That is 2 whole weeks! Phenomenal.

Monkeybean, welcome! You have the right attitude, in that you're trying to do better each day than the day before. Progress is what we're all aiming for. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to keep moving forward, even if it's only an inch. That's how successes are made! Sticking to meal times is a huge first step. Congrats!

Feliciah, welcome to you as well! Hope you had a good Day 1!

Fatmad, you're doing well. Hope you get to exercise soon. I find it really helps me stay on plan.

dreamy1, good luck with this week as well!

Spoz, you have a great attitude. Sounds like you're making great progress.

to everybody else. Keep up the great work. And if you're struggling, get back up! There is no shame in falling, but you have to get back up no matter what.

Last edited by EsperanzaBella82; 11-11-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #17  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Michellelee - day 14 and a birthday party? Thats very impressive. Nice job!

Monkeybean - Welcome!

feliciah - How did day 1 go? Welcome to the thread. I've been struggling day to day and find everyone here VERY inspiring. Hopefully you will too.

fatmad - "another week just a little at a time" things are so much easier when you think of it that way, thank you for that. Its hard to make those good for you choices with fast food. Half the time their just as bad for you anyway calorie wise. Good for you for the victory even if it was small.

Penelope - Welcome, I RE started on the 10th as well. How is it going?

Lauren - EXACTLy small manageable changes that become habits. Thats how it WILL happen...

EsperanzaBella82 - Day one went very well so did day 2! What a great post. THATS how I feel about my bosy as well, I just need to cultivate the willpower to have my actions match my intentions.

As for me...

Day 1 came and went a success, day 2... well day 2 was amazing. Not only was I binge free but I also came in under my calories, had a nice hard run, noticed some of this stomach pooch left and weighed in with a loss. I feel like super woman! Here is to day 3!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #18  
University Student

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5'4

Default Almost a week...

Working on day 6...almost a week! And I have been doing pilates and cardio every day too. It is getting easier every day, because the longer you have been "living well", the more you don't want to ruin your hard work! My real test will come this weekend when I have more free time and I am going out to an Indian restaurant with some friends...anyone know what some healthier options are there? I am planning ahead to get a portion of my food to go, and I know they have salads if there is no such thing as diet-friendly Indian food...I'll just have to ask our server when I get there! Anyways, keep up the hard work, you are all doing great! This forum is just so helpful...It makes a huge difference to have friends to be accountable to and who support you!
Steph
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #19  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Talking steph & indian food, and a good day

Steph577, I find with lots of ethnic foods, i can do portion control with the spicy stuff. It is rather self-limiting for me. I get it made as spicy as I can stand, (this may only be medium, but its not a contest for me) and I can't overeat as easily.

On another note, I had a really good day, food and exercise-wise. I walked the dog, and ate reasonable portions for 3 meals. I had a good night sleep, just woke up early so nothing major with problem eating.

Until I started in with the forums, I don't think I realized just how difficult my irregular hours make it for me. I have always blamed them for my weight, but as I try to change, I realize how difficult it is.

Anyone with shift work that changes, or other types of irregular hours that make exercise and eating properly difficult. Will take all kinds of advice thanx.
I am also thinking of getting a Wii, and Wii fit, so I can exercise indoors more. Don't love the treadmill. But if the snow gets deep, its hard to walk.

have a good evening all,
fatmad
Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 188/181/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi guys,

I'll join in but I'll be starting from tomorrow (the 13th) - I had my sweet candy/ice cream binge this afternoon. I haven't actually gone 4 days without eating sugar so I'm looking forward to making it to the 16th.

Katie
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #21  
Madeleine

Has anyone fasted to kick a food habit? I am not talking about stopping eating cold turkey, but a controlled fast, say 24-48 hours, with lots of water, to flush and get rebalanced?
I have done them occasionally to deal with food intolerances, * hmm, I do tend to binge on foods I don't tolerate well* and wonder if for the bad sugar addicts this might be helpful.
I am not advocating a starvation type diet, more like a re-aligning of the digestion.
I am new to considering dieting, have never done it to any degree before.
Did some low carb stuff for a while, more to deal with food intolerance than with diet, and tried "somersizing" cause I still wanted carbs in the diet after a bit. Thats it for my diet history!
fatmad, willing to be educated
Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #22  
University Student

Default Fasting etc.

Hey fatmad!
The South Beach Diet may be worth looking into - for two weeks you go completeley without sugar, so you eat lots of veggies (no carrots, corn etc. though), proteins, fats etc. This helps to stabilize your blood sugar levels so your cravings are reduced. Then, you gradually start reintroducing complex carbs into the diet while still losing weight, then by Pahse Three you are eating some healthy carbs every day and maintaining your weight. This diet is very healthy, has great food, and is effective for weight loss. The book is pretty cheap too. BUT IT IS STILL A DIET. This is where I caution you-if you are anything like me, being ON a diet means you can be OFF a diet - meaning if you slip up, or you go off the diet it can seem like a free for all of junk food. That is what happened to me. I lost 15 pounds and kept it off for a few months, and then at Christmas, I said "Well its Christmas so I can't be on a diet!" and pigged out on all sorts of goodies because I was "off" my diet, rather than just trying to enjoy myself in moderation. Sure enough Christmas turned into January, and February etc. etc, and I wound up putting on more weight than I had lost in the first place! So, that being said, think long and hard before you choose to go on a real diet (rather than just moderation and "doing your own thing") because often when you go off a diet you end up heavier than you started becuase your new body isn't used to the junk food. I would suggest buying the book though (it's only like ten bucks I think), and seeing what you think - even if you don't follow it completeley it contains lots of great info on what sorts of foods make up a healthy lifestyle and that can contribute to your weight loss efforts, I am in fact still following some of the Phase 2 principles right now. Hope this helps, and good luck whatever you decide to do! Keep us uppdated!
Steph
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #23  
Lose that Baby Weight!

steph - 6 days is amazing in itself but a workout everyday too! Your golden! I can identify with your restaurant problem I am going out for a friends birthday tonight and even though I am planning ahead its so temping to go OP if your going out.

fatmad - I have crazy hours but nothing like yours. I am a photographer but due to our recent move have also taken a full time job to get eahead on bills while we secure out new house. Means I work like 80 hours a week. Sometimes it is so hard because I feel guilty for taking time for a workout... I ALWAYS have something else I should be doing. I've never used a wii but it looks like blast. I bought dance dance revolution for ps3 for a workout and it was so fun....

Katie - You can totally make it to the 16th. Check in here everyday it will help... welcome.

As for me...

Day 3 in the bag. I so wanted to binge last night. I found myself hungrier than usual yesterday. I chose to fill up on good foods though, not crap. It was really a milestone for me. In the past I would have gone on a binge then realized I blew it and continued to binge all night just to get back on the wagon this morning.

Day 4 will be a real test though. Tonight I am going out to a sports bar for a friends birthday. Usually I eat soem cheese sticks, a burger, waffle fries and way too many martini's. I really have to exercise control tonight. 1 martini, and SMART choices. I am conserving calories throughout today to make up for tonight and will also conserve a bit more tomorrow. I WILL be back and on day 5 tomorrow, hold me accountable girlies.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #24  
Burning it away

Hey all, just checking in. I haven't really been able to psot because my laptop isn't turning on at all, so my internet access is pretty limited.

My binge -free plan went a little off plan so I'm back to step 1 for a few days recording food. Things are looking pretty good though. I've hit 154 lbs, and for months I'd dip to 155 and think 'wow!' and the next day I'd be back up and stay there. But for two weeks now I've been a consistant 154 lbs, so I'm very happy about that - especially since it feels I'm being very unhealthy!

Anyway,I'm sorry I havent the chance to talk to you new girls but you're all doing wonderful. Ingrid, Ward, hope you guys are doing great too.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #25  
It'll all be worth it...

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/120

EsperanzaBella82- you're doing great. Seems like you're getting stronger each day! Keep it up.

katieonaplan: How was your first day?

Stephanie: Well done on fighting the binge, it can be one of the hardest things to do, not let it take over.

Spoz: Congrats on being down to 154! Its a great feeling when you finally break a plateu.

As for me...Day 24 down! I'm doing good. Just need to keep going. Down to 230 now so I'm really excited to be 229! Man I can't wait!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #26  
Madeleine

Default breaking the barrier

maddie, this is so great. Yes you will break the barrier, onederland in the new year for sure. Thats so great, you are down like 20lbs, and avoiding the binges. So special.
fatmad
Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #27  
It'll all be worth it...

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/120

fatmad: thank you so much! that's so encouraging! You made my day. I've been struggling a bit. I can't wait for onederland! I really hope I get there soon!

It does get easier each day, the pride from each extra day just makes me stronger!

I hope you're doing well!

xxx
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #28  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

You guys are doing great!

I have six days, working on seven.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #29  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Spoz - limited internet? I would go crazy. It sounds like your back on track...

Maddie - Day 24! Yay! I cannot wait till I am in the same boat. Sounds like you are doing awesome on your weight loss, keep it up...

wardhog - Congrats on six days... soon it will be a week down which is great!

As for me...

Day 4... I did eat the appetizer as it is my fave but had a salad, thai salmon burger (only ate one half) and WATER. No apple martini for this girl. I even got my run in BEFORE I went out for dinner and drinks. I don't even recognize myself lol.

The weekend is here though. This is where I always fall off track. I just want one weekend to go well and op so that I know I can do it lol.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #30  
University Student

Default Good and Bad...

Well I have a bit of good news and a bit of bad news...
I went to the Royal Winter fair last night which was amazing...the girls I went with all got these amazing looking cinnamon buns - and I caved and got one too. It was so yummy, but after eating it I felt so guilty because I knew it was in no way diet-friendly. When I got home, I was so tempted to binge - funny how that works, you feel guilty about eating which makes you want to eat more (crazy!)- I started nibbling on some of that vanilla almond special K and was just about to go grab myself a big bowl when I stopped myself and took a moment to realize how crappy I would feel if I kept eating. So I was rather proud of myself to have stopped my binge in its tracks! Anyways, I am back to healthy eating today. I think what I did - allowing myself to have a treat and then being able to end the junk food eating at that, rather than saying "Oh well I ruined my plan anyways so I might as well stuff my face" will be the key to making it through the holidays and special occasions in general...Keep up the hard work ladies and by the way I thought of all you guys when I was about to grab that bowl of cereal!
xoxo
Steph
Closed Thread