Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 04:03 PM   #1  

Default pro anorexia web sites -- your opinion

I am a 3FC reader who is also a senior in college, who will be graduating soon. I am doing my last paper on pro anorexia web sites. I would be interested un hearing anyones opinion.
Ruth
Old 12-13-2001, 01:46 AM   #2  

Here are my immediate thoughts:

If the site is done by an anorexic, I see it as being both sad and irresponsible. I think the person feels the need to justify the anorexia to everyone, so they create the site. They lack the self esteem to just accept that they have the disease and that it isn't healthy for them. When I say unhealthy, I do not imply things like "bad, selfish, worthless", only unhealthy (a physical state). I run an ED website, and I do not link to pro-ED sites because I want to encourage people to care for themselves rather than taking pride in a harmful cycle.

- Kim
Old 02-24-2002, 04:00 PM   #3  

You know, I can understand why people think pro-anorexia sites are sick and sad...and some of them really are. But not all of them. Not everyone is in recovery...many adults post on so called "pro-ana" boards to gain emotional support while they choose not to get help. I'm not talking about places that are full of "tips" and "tricks" to fool your loved ones and hide your disease...there are boards that, while they do not encourage anorexic/bulimic behaviors still offer support and a place to talk openly for those who are still a part of the ana/mia lifestyle without being judgemental or cramming unwanted "help" and advice down their throats. And when those sites get labeled "pro-ana" and shut down with the rest of them, it's a real shame and it pisses me off.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:31 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Default We're on thin ice here!

Please everyone remember that this is a very sensitive subject that needs to be thought out well before posting. Further, I would like to add that this is a weight loss site and pro-ana discussions are probably going to be controversial. I am not condemning or condoning anything here, I just want to make it clear that I really don't want any controversy over the subject. The last time we went on this thread it got ugly when we had pro-anas here making their statements and fat-chicks on the pro-ana boards making theirs...

I've seen it before, and really, the best thing to do here is drop the subject while it is still civilized!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:52 AM   #5  

Whatever.

I should have known the people here are just as ignorant and simple minded as any other "diet" site. You wouldn' t think it was so "controversial" if you took the time to research what I am talking about. It's people like you who clump people into groups and write them off as sickes that make this world such an intolerent place. You can make your post all "PC" lady, but it's pretty transparent. I'd like to toss out some insults because I am so angry and fed up with this kind of crap, but I will refrain.

You don't need to reply to this with some big indignant post to tell me what an idiot I am. I won't be gracing your board with my skinny, "eating-disordered" sickie *** any longer.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:44 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hello, I am not calling you an idiot, I am trying to be a mediator because I am responsible for this board and I don't want an argument to start between people. I have seen it before and don't want to see it again. I am not clumping anybody into a group. I do know that there are very strong feelings on this subject. SOME overweight people think that pro-ana people are sick, and SOME pro-ana people think that fat people are sick. Whenever this subject is brought up an argument or hurt feelings come about. This site is about weight loss support, not debates so that is why I asked the subject be dropped.

Peace,
Closed Thread