Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default Low Carb advice

I have a question that I was wondering if you all could help me with. I am not really doing Atkins, but instead my own low carb program (about 20 grams a day), but I noticed on your food logs that some of you have protein/fiber shakes. Are these store bought or can they be made at home. I get tired of eggs and turkey bacon and cottage cheese and veggies all the time. I need to mix it up a bit. Also, is there a good resource for finding the carbs in a food (if it doesnt have a label)? For instance, if I drink a glass of wine...how many carbs would that count as? Thank you!!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Andrea~ I use a protein powder called optimum nutrition, then I add a tsp of psyllium husk to it. You can make your own protein shake, check the recipe section, I think there is one or 2 there that use cottage cheese.

I used to use the Atkins website for carb counts, but now I just use fitday.com.

Hope that helps
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #3  
We're TTC!!

Thanks so much Robin! That really does help. Is psyllium husk basically the same as Metamucil? Beacuse I do have some of that. If not, I might be able to find it at Vitamin World or something. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

pretty much, if you have the plain no sugar added stuff. I buy the psyllium husk because its cheaper than metamucil, but works just as good
Old 11-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #5  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

atkins makes some shakes that are just too good to be good for a person (they ALWAYS cause me to stall). I either make a protein shake at home (the mix I got at gnc) or I drink the ready made ones which I found hidden in the health food part of walmart (bottom shelf of course). These don't taste like heaven or anything but when I don't have a chance to eat then they are what I grab.

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

guess I should mention that I dont buy the premade protein shakes (they make me stall too) I just buy the powder, mix it with water and fibre...pretty darn tastey
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #7  
We're TTC!!

For awhile there I'd buy the EAS shakes and drank those twice a day and worked out but never lost weight. I'm sure that I would eat more than needed b/c they didnt fill me up. So, I like the idea of making my own shakes that I control what goes in them and can grab them for busy days (like today). I love to eat breakfast! Thanks, ladies!