Old 11-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Hello, I'm new

Hi all, Well, I am going to try Atkins after not having been on it for ohhhh about 25 years. I tried it when it first came out in the 70's and loved it but you know, LIFE! I have reach an amazing mindboggling (to me) high weight of 282.

I see that the new plan has more fruits and vegetables which was the biggest stumbling block for me, I missed them so much.

I am scared to try again but I have to do something and nothing else seems to work, or of course, I could just be totally lazy and procrastinating. I did try it a couple of months ago but only lasted 2 days. This time I MUST not give in and quit.

I am 54years old, 5'6" and shrinking, size 24 - yuck. I live in Canada, so today isn't Thanksgiving and I don't feel weird starting a new way of life on a holiday.

HELP keep me motivated PLEASE!
I choose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #2  

WELCOME !! I choose,
I think that you are going to find this WOL easier this time around.
I suggest you follow the 2 week induction to the letter.
And Dont forget LOTS of Water.
I am really enjoying this WOL and would not trade it.
If you would like some morale support we could keep in touch.
I dont do posts to well but am good with the one on one.
Where are you in Canada?
CONGRATULATIONS YOUR ON YOUR WAY!!
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome I Choose

I'm glad your giving it another try. Just remember everyone is different and what works for some doesn't work for others.

I think with all you already know about atkins, your gonna do just fine. Please, both you nd VanIsle join us on the daily threads for the support you need.

Hugs and Welcome !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #4  

I'm in northern Saskatchewan. So Hi to you over in sunny BC
I choose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I choose
I see that the new plan has more fruits and vegetables which was the biggest stumbling block for me, I missed them so much.
Another new person here -- so please pardon the question if it's been asked a gazillion bajillion times. Is there a new book?

I've been doing WW for about a year but have found that I need to shake things up a bit. Actually, when looking back in my journals, it seems I lost the most weight (from 175 to 160) by staying within my WW points range, but eating all Atkins-type foods within that range. It sort of combined the programs but also kept me from overdoing it. Well, I've recently fallen off the water wagon and show a regain of about 4 pounds, which to me is totally unacceptable. It boggles my mind to know that I can work hard for months and mess it all up in just a few days of going wild! Unbelievable!

I was thinking maybe I should do a strict 2 week induction, then go to OWL which is probably where I would have to stay until I shake all of the bad habits. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Of course I know that everybody's different, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions ... or advice on how to transition from that to this! Thanks in advance!
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Kathy,

Have you tried WW's low carb version ? The only thing I see that might not be so good and this is JMHO, is that if your going to go on induction for 2 weeks, you will lose, no doubt but my concern is that on induction you lose water, now when you start adding carbs back into your diet or you return to a semi WW plan, your most likely going to gain it back fast. If you do Atkins induction and stay on the atkins plan than your mostlikely not going to gain it back if you follow it correctly.

So, I'm not saying don't do atkins but what I would like to suggest you try first is WW's low carb plan and see how that goes first.

I hope I didn't get your hopes down but I always say, stick with what you know and what works. WW is a great plan.

Hugs and let us know what you decide to do, we will be here for you if you need us.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

Welcome to all the new people. You all sound like you've done research and are well on your way to eating healthier. Come join us on the daily chat
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #8  

Thanks, Brenda for the welcome -- and thanks, Leenie, for the advice! Here's what I've done. I started last Labor Day (2003) at 175. I'm 5'7" so it wasn't tooooo over the top, but I wasn't happy with it. Within 6-8 weeks I was down to 160 and maintained it by pretty much sticking to a modified WW plan until this September, when I decided I would have another go at it. At that time the CORE program had come out, so I started doing it. It worked very well, but lately I've had trouble sticking to it and have been allowing myself to venture off the path. I do best when I have a set list of what I can and can't eat, because left up to my own devices and told to do something in moderation ... well, let's just say that sometimes I DON'T!

I would think that Atkins maintenance would work well for me, and except for the fat-free vs. full-fat versions of different things, it's pretty much the same as the WW CORE plan. Now getting to maintenance is the trick! And between you, me, and the lightpost, some of that fat-free stuff is just the most horrible food in the world.

So I guess we'll see. I'll give it a few days and maybe by then I can figure out if it'll work. I really appreciate your help!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

Kathy you are so close to goal it's unbelievable!!! Keep up the great work and let us know how it goes We're all cheering for you!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:33 PM   #10  

Thanks so much! I did very well today and just guzzled that water like there's no tomorrow!!

I've planned my lunches for the rest of the week and will update when and if I see some progress. And Brenda, your stats look remarkably like mine! You've done so good toooooo!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:28 PM   #11  

Hi ladies, may I join you? I too did Atkins back in the day, lost weight, then after undulging myself (for whatever reasons) find myself heavier than ever. I am 57 yrs old, 5' 2" and gulp ok gulp (no one else but the Dr. knows this gulp 178lbs....there I said it....whewww that was tougher than I thought it would be. I have been reading your posts and you all sound like the kind of people who help each other and are very kind. But ya know, sometimes I need an old fashioned b*** kickin'. So pretty please may I join ya'll? I promise to have the coffee ready every morning so tomorrows will be french vanilla. Come on by....Janny (The Divine Diva of the Red Hat Society)
Grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #12  
Baby Steps

Janny you just make yourself welcome here! I don't drink coffee but feel free to start the daily chat and have cup! They always say the first step is the hardest and I believe you've taken that step. Then again, I'm a firm believer that it's not just the first step but EVERY step of this weight loss journey that's hard. But that's just my opinion and has to do with my "situation". Give me PMS and I'll give ya the old fashioned b**** kickin when you want it When are you starting?
WELCOME
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 AM   #13  

Good Morning Brenda and if you would rather have tea, I got plenty of that too! Coffee's on, teapot's going and there's plenty of water in the fridge.
I am going to start on Sun. I know that sounds odd, but I have to rid the house of all the stuff, and buy the new stuff on Sat. I have been told that I could not have chosen a worse time, what with the holidays and all, but I figure that I will always have something to tempt me, so I will give it my best shot. I'm hoping that the cravings will abate after a week or so, and I don't remember if they do or not. It's been so long, I can't remember anything about this lifestyle, so I am re-reading my book like crazy.
You all seem to be so helpfull, maybe you can tell me about the 'Trek' report that I saw? Is it keeping a log of your exercise and walking? See, there are some dumb questions out there!
Later ladies, hope all of you have a good day...............Janny in Rowlett Texas
Grambo is offline   Reply With Quote