Old 07-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Talking I had good intentions.....

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA for 2 months.... I found out I was pregnant, then had some trouble, but now my little one seems to be baking perfectly.

I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies - so it is inevitable this time as well I guess. I am walking though daily and even though I had all intentions of sticking low carb throughout the pregnancy.... my body is just CRAVING bland type foods (and I'm too naseous so I've just been giving in)... Bagels, plain potatoes, and yogurt! I haven't had ANY of those items in almost a year and now everyday that is my breakfast and lunch. I can get a salad and cheese into me later in the day - but I can't even look at anything high in protein until at least 2PM.

So - is there anyone who can guide me to looking for specific brand names of lower carb bagels, or yogurt. The potato thing has died down in the past week - so I think I can pass on those. I began the pregnancy at 220 and I am hoping to keep under 245. With my last I was over 270 I think on the day I delievered....I MUST do better this time.
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #2  

Congratulations on the pregnancy! As far as low carb bagels and bread and such, I haven't really tried any yet. I'm sure others around here have though. I know Star mentioned she had a low-carb bagel for breakfast on the food log - it might say brand. I have tried the low carb tortillas and the best by far is Mission.

Good luck and congratulations again!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #3  
The Princess O' Pets

CONGRATS KIM!!! I haven't done LC bagels yet.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #4  

Congrats Kim!!!!!!! I am pregnant also. Have been told I was due Jan 14 and Jan 30. Guess it's somewhere in between!. When's your due date? Sorry, but I can't help you any on the low carb brand names, because honestly I haven't been doing very well with low carb myself! I was very sick at the first part, so was hard to eat protein as well! Congrats again and Good Luck!

Lisa
Mrs H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #5  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Thanks for the well wishes ladies... I am writing down the Mission brand for the tortillas (thanks!).

Lisa - we will be having babies at the same time! Yipee! I am due 1/30 but because of the gest diab. they never let me go all the way so I am guessing right now I will be having my lovely c-section on 1/18/05. - Think I'm a planner? But I nailed my 2nd ones 6/11/02 date when I told my boss in January of that year.... so let's see if it works this time as well. ha ha ha Isn't it AMAZING how you suddenly cannot even eat a protein? Here I was battling the cashew nuts and trying to steer clear - I can't even look at them now. I guess our bodies know what they need. I'll bet if we just choose "lower carb" options for those high carb cravings - it's gotta help.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #6  

YAY! Kim!!!!! We are due the same day then. They at first told me 1/14...and then did ultra sound and it showed 1/30! I hope that all of the problems that you had to start with are gone! The first 11 weeks...I sick all the time...morning/noon/night! The doctor advised that I not try to stick to low-carb during this time. She said what was most important was getting some nutrition of any kind. Now that I am not sick anymore, I try to eat low carb, but these cravings can be crazy! I was at the dr. last week, and so far I have lost 3 lbs since my first visit! But since the sickness is gone I am sure that it is going to be very easy to pack the pounds on. I'm trying now to get proper nutrition, but to also watch closely what I eat! This is our first child, and was very shocking! We have been together almost 16 years and it's never happened! So we just figured it would always be just me, DH, and the dog! Boy were we surprised!!! But we are very happy also! Every few days DH or me will look at the other one and just shake our head. We are still in shock and we have known since 5/18. Well, hate to ramble....just so excited to finally "know" someone who is experiencing this great joy also! Hope everything continues to go well for you!!!

Lisa
Mrs H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Nice to see you back, Kim, and congrats on the little one!
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #8  

Hi Kim, good to hear from you and CONGRATS on the baby. How has everything else been going lately?

As for low carb breads etc....check out this review...it lists a lot of baked goods.

http://www.countcarbs.com/reviews/reviews_breads.htm

I like the Mama Lupe tortillas best. They taste just like the real thing. And we have Joseph's low carb Pita Bread around my area.....if you see those they aren't bad. Thin but good.

Good thoughts are with you........
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #9  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Thanks Lekker and Jane... And Jane - have you ever ordered from that link for Synergy Diet? In my foodstore I only see Atkins type lowcarb items...maybe I need to search out a few more foodstores to see what's around my local area.

Lisa - I'm going to send you a private email so we don't hijack this board - I am so excited to have a buddy who is lowcarbing through pregnancy...
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #10  
Head Princess

Kim's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back and congrats on your pregnancy! I've been meaning to send you an email. Bad me!

As for low carb stuff, you've come to the right place. Both Dannon and Yoplait make very good lc yogurt. I personally prefer Yoplait, but it's got 8 grams compared to the 3 in Dannon. Love is right - the Mission tortillas are wonderful! While Atkins and everyone else make lc bagels, the best I've found so far is a whole wheat bagel made by Lenders. It's higher in carbs (14 grams per bagel), but it's the only one I've found that comes close to real bagel density.

Hope that helps and I hope you stick around. You've been missed!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #11  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hey Star - thanks for the well wishes and the name brands.... Are the tortillas in the dairy section of the store?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #12  
Head Princess

It depends on where you shop. The stores around here just put them with all their other tortillas.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Kim, and welcome back !!!

Awww congrats on the baby, thats sooooo sweet.

Be careful of any of those LC frankenfoods you eat, try to eat "clean." The chemicals in them is what frightens me (for the baby that is).

The only bagel I've tried LC was atkins, it was eh, okay for what it is. My favorite LC tortilla is LaTortilla Factory brand, some LC or health food stores carry it. Loaded with fiber and only 3 carbs each, they are big too.

Hope your feeling better and your pregnancy goes well. Do you know what your having or are you going to find out ?? names ?? details lady I love details LOLOL

Big major hugs and kisses to you and Jr.

Psssssssssstt..... Eileen's a nice name for a girl
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #14  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Thanks Leenie for the tips. And I agree with steering clear of the chemicals - except to say that my Diabetes Dr. always says there comes a time when the natural sugars in foods will hurt me more than the chemicals in some of the lower carb foods. But I am going to try to stick with the natural foods as much as possible.

I don't yet know the sex of the baby - but yes we will find out (since it's #3)... Since this all came as a shock I told my husband he could do the naming on his own this time. (Maybe not the wisest thing I could have said)... He loves the name Mitch (but all I think of is kids teasing with a rhyming name)... So he said Mitchell Joseph or Violet Jane. I love the girl's name and it goes nicely with my Emily and Isabel - but I'm still hoping the Mitch idea changes over the next 6 months LOL. Or maybe it will grow on me.... or maybe a boys name won't even be needed. LOL

editing to add:
I love the name Eileen (and I have a wonderful Aunt Eileen)...BUT my last name is Isaga (pronounced Eye-Saga) so Eileen Isaga is just cruel. LOL LOL

Last edited by Kim in NJ; 07-23-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Haaaaaaaaa your right Kim, that name doesn't go very well. I kinda like the name Mitch, its a real "man's" name, macho and strong and you don't hear much of it so it will be different. I thought when I was naming my daughter "grace" that it would be different, little did I know that name at the time 3 years ago was making its way back. There were two other grace's at the hospital the same time mine was lolololol. At work it seems like every other person is naming thier baby grace. Wild.

When I was in school NOBODY!!!! had the same name as me, I felt funny b/c of that but now as an adult I hear it alot (not in kids that is).

Well have fun picking names
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote