Old 07-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #1  
Ari

S/C/G: 400/341/150

Default Can't... sleep...

Hello! This is my first post here. I started atkins 1 week ago and I am following induction as well as I can. I have IBS, so I have to work in extra fiber wherever I can - psyllium husks, a little bit extra fiber veggies than allowed, etc. I've read the book and I know what is allowed and what needs to be counted. But I also have to follow my doctor's orders so that my IBS doesn't get out of control. So far my IBS is actually doing *better* than before I started atkins. By better, I mean I was always in bed in pain, until I switched to low-carb.

I'm not losing weight at any astonishing rate like others who I've talked to, but I am exercising more and drinking a lot more water than I used to. My measurements are coming down, and my ketostix turn purple, so I know I'm doing *something* right. I'm comfortable with this, quite happy with it actually.

I have not had caffeine in a month or two, and we switched to splenda a long time ago. My sugar cravings came and went when we did that, so switching to atkins has not been *that* difficult for me.

But the thing that is really bothering me, and I mean really driving me batty, is that I have *way* too much energy, especially at night. I have exercised until my legs burned and then still had a ton of energy left over and no way to do anything with it because I'm too out of shape for this kind of energy level. I can't sleep because I feel like I need to be moving. My mind gets exhausted and wants to sleep and my legs are sore but my body says go, go, go! It's the most conflicting signals I have ever felt. I usually get my exercise in the afternoon, with several hours to relax afterward... if I *could* relax that is.

I just wish I could turn down this energy! Is there any way to help this other than sticking it out until OWL? I am already taking the vitamin supplements that I have seen recommended here for insomnia. I'm at a loss.

TIA for any help..
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:11 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

I'm not sure what advice to give. I tend to get energy and then lose it. Have you asked your doctor what you could possibly take to help you sleep?
And welcome
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #3  
Ari

All the times Ive had trouble sleeping, my doctor has given me sleeping pills.. those things end up just giving me hallucinations (for 24+ hours off one pill!!) and I dont sleep any more than I do without them. I've never had one work.

Luckily this problem has not been frequent for me until now. Now it's every night.. I'm up til 4am when I should be waking up at 8am. eep.

oh, and thanks for the welcome
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Welcome Ari!

I know that when I am well on-plan, I have lots of energy too, but I've not had troubles sleeping because of that. So I'm afraid that I'm not much help. I wonder if something like yoga or reading in bed might help?
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

I've never tried actual sleeping pills but I've heard they leave you feeling loopy the next day. what good is that, eh?
Hopefully as time goes on you keep the energy---but only during the day
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WELCOME ARI

WOW to much energy. I don't know how to answer that either. How late in the day are you exercising ? I know if I exercise after 7 PM, I am wired and can't sleep. If you are exercising at night try to do it in the morning instead or very early evening. Thats about the only thing I can think of other than going to see your doctor.

I'm really proud of you for making such changes in your life. How much have you lost and if you don't mind me asking whats your goal ?

Hugs !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #7  
Ari

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

I get my exercise earlier in the day, around 5pm. I cook dinner as soon as I get back home, then I usually try to go to bed around midnight. I'd be happy if I could be asleep by even 1am.

Like I said I havent lost that much weight yet on Atkins, only 2 pounds. I'm not following induction 100% since my doctor wants me to eat more fiber. I am exceeding my allowance by eating 3 cups of fiber veggies instead of the 3 cups of salad / 2 cups salad - 1 cup veggies that is in the induction rules. Then I supplement my fiber with psyllium husks throughout the day to get up to to my much-needed 25-30 grams a day.

I started trying to lose weight in May 2003. I have lost 57 pounds since then. My stalls usually came in the form of being sick. I was in bed for most of June from my IBS, the pain was just terrible. But then after seeing several doctors I finally found one that understands what I am going through and he put me on a program that is helping me. I started atkins the day before I saw him, actually, but what he wants me to do is compatible with my low-carb eating as long as I indulge a ilttle on my fiber veggies.

Feeling better on my new WOE and my doctor-recommended program, I have been able to do more things that I havent been able to do in a long time. I've got more energy to do the things that I enjoy and I'm more excited about taking walks, going to the gym, going swimming, etc.

I should lose about 170 more pounds. I am carrying around an extra person on my hips! I know in time the rest will come off. I just need to stick with this. I dont think it will be too hard.. I told my husband they should have marketed this as the "yummy diet" and i would have jumped on it faster. hehe! but I understand this isnt a diet. If I go back to the way I ate before I will go back to wearing the clothes I wore before. noooooo way am I going there again.