Old 05-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #16  
Head Princess

Really? I could only come up with an adjective or two to accompany it.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #17  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I would report the old vinegar bag, (its all in the wording lol)

On a serious note, I think that old people (just my opinion now) look at heavy people in disgust. One of my sisters is over 300 lbs. When ever we are together I notice the dirty looks old people give her, I just want to go up to them as ask them what their problem is, and you know the funny thing is most of them are fat themselves. Its that old school mentality that over weight people are lazy slobs. Thats the feeling I get w/this doctor your describing. GROWL!!!!

Bet he has his own addictions/demons dumb scum.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:56 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Leenie ~ It isn't just old people it is people who don't get it... I know several people who have had Gastric By-pass surgery in the past 2 years or so and they all report one of the reasons is the looks people give them when they are in public- the you don't have a right to live looks. One girl was out with her family for dinner about 2 months prior to have the procedure and there were these young guys at a table in the restaurant and they were just staring, she finally got up walked up to them and said you know I have a right to eat here in peace, do you have a problem with me? They got up and left.

My SIL had the procedure ~ 2 years ago Febuary she has lost over 200 pounds and still has some to go and she still isn't comfortable with herself but her health is so much better. She was pushin 375 and is 5'3-5'4....
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #19  

Star I was thinking .....

D@#$head
S@#$head
B#*$@#d
S(& of a B(#$%

*** covers all of those...
Old 05-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #20  
Head Princess

LOL - I've come up with a few more now!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:25 PM   #21  

If we move a little more around to the front, we could up we all kinds of names starting in that area!

She was looking into gastric bypass but was told she couldn't drink and we love our Morgans & Coke!, couldn't have a lot of meat and she doesn't want to go through all the therapy that's required first. I wish she would. She's only 41 Yrs old and raising my 14 yr old niece by herself. This woman has a heart 10 times her size.

My hairdresser had it done a year ago, and my gosh, you wouldn't know she was the same person. She looks great and her personality is so much better since she's not depressed and feeling bad about herself. But, I also know 3 others that it didn't work for them.

I've considered looking into curves her and getting her a membership also. I'm so afraid she's gonna die young. Other than my girls who are grown and my Danny, who is my best friend and BF, she's the only family I have.
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:35 PM   #22  

Morti- My SIL is like 36 and I finally told her she had to do something because I didn't want to end up raising her daughter as well as my own two kids and if she had not of done something that is what would of happened.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #23  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Morti - First off I had been 260 lbs and 5'5" for over a year when I finally went on Atkins. My OBGYN, my pulmonologist AND my general physician ALL AGREED it would be my best route since I had had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant both times AND my grandfather died of diabetes. So there - I began worse off than your sister is today!

Second - yes, she is morbidly obese and it's something that I needed to face and she does as well. Sometimes Dr's do it in a nasty way possibly hoping to jump start us into making a life changing commitment because many obese people can't seem to make that commitment. However in her Dr's case - the fact that she had lost weight and made that commitment and he complained...well he's just an idiot and I too agree she should find another Dr.

My Dr's are thrilled with my loss so far! My pulmonologist (the one who gave me the eye opening talk last summer ....and I left his office in tears) is bent on any woman our weight walking everyday. Curves might be too much at 270 - but making a commitment to walk 30 minutes a day is really all it takes to get your body in motion at this weight. She can start at 15 minutes and work up - it does become addictive and the weather is getting nicer so the timing is right.

Atkins has been wonderful for me - and my bloodwork is amazing. All 3 Dr's are thrilled and continually tell me to keep it up. Also - this was the first winter in years I was not on prednisone for my asthma - I've actually almost stopped taking my asthma meds fully now and I am still over 200 lbs. If she needs to chat with someone who has been there, email me.... hope she finds a new Dr. quickly!
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #24  
Baby Steps

It floors me that a doctor would not want what's best for the patient even if it goes against something he believes. I thought docs took that oath to help patients (not ridicule them. Is that why people call it the hipocritic oath?). @docs just out to make money.
How's she doing? Did she decide to stay on Atkins? Did she find another doc? Is she still confused?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Morti,

Just wanted to add a little in case you were planning on showing this to your sister.

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries (August 2003) which is supposedly a precursor to diabetes. I asked my OB if it would be ok to go on Atkins before I started. She said the best thing for pre-diabetic/diabetic is a low/no sugar diet. She thought Atkins might just be the best thing for me and my condition. Not to mention she said I had the signs to develop diabetes. I hope all of this information helps you convince your sister to stick with atkins!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #26  
The Princess O' Pets

Well ladies as someone who works in the medical field I will say this, YOU ar in control of what doctor you see, if you do not like one doctor, move on! Picking a doctor is the same as picking any friend, some people you like and some you don't, same with doctors, keep changing until you find the one you like, who is going to do what is right for you. JUst because they are doctors does not make them god, they can be asses just like every other normal person! If the office or your insurance balks at letting you change talk to the office manager or the supervisor at the insurance co and tell them what happened, they'll let you change in a heartbeat.

Yes I will agree that Dr. is an *** and has horrible bedside manner, I thought first off too that he is an older male doctor, alot of older male doctor's have a stigma that they live up to, they act superior. Especially to someone they deam as weak, that would be a female who is overwieght,like alot of people, they still have that thought that because you are over weight it is just because you are weak. WHich we all know is not true.

Get a new doctor!! I am 5 foot 4 inches and weigh 237 lbs and my doctor has never said I am obese.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #27  

I will be seeing her tonight, I hope. She knows that she's obese and she's not happy with her wieght. She's is planning on seeing a new Dr. Rather she is still on Atkins or not, I'm not sure.

I do plan on printing this out before I leave work today so she can see everyones input. There is so much information on this site it is unbelievable. I found it through another recipe site that I belong too. I know for me, I'm able to come to the boards and oher places here and get information from folks who ahve and some who are still struggling with weight lose.

I gotta say you're a great bunch of people here. The support you so each other is wonderful and it comes through in your posts.
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #28  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjo01
Leenie ~ It isn't just old people it is people who don't get it..
I know its not just old people, believe me, I've been shunned most of my life by every walk of life, I am mearly stating b/c the doctor mentioned here IS an old fart that I do notice it more in the senior adult (sounds like a dog food commercial haaaaa).

Oy vey eh~
Old 05-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #29  
Moderator & Happy Chick

MORTI'S FRIEND !!

YOU GO GIRL !! WE'RE ROOTIN FOR YAH.

COME PLAY WITH US GIRLS HERE AT 3FC'S