Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #16  

HELP, well today was my weigh in and according to my scale I have not lost anything and lost 5 pounds in the first 14 days. I think Im doing everything by the book. am at about a 65 /30 /5 ratio. and average about 1300 cal. I do have 1 coffe in the morning usually with cream no sugar. Does Atkins maybe not work with every one? I have about 30 pounds to lose . How long should I give it ago for? I would hate to be eating this way and find out it is adding to my weight.I dont eat anything not on the induction list besides the coffee and maybe a SF jello once in awhile.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #17  
Head Princess

You must be patient! It's normal to have weeks where you don't see a change in the scale. Pay attention to your inches and how clothes are fitting, too. Also, keep in mind that the less weight you have to lose, the slower it comes off.

Most importantly, are you exercising? Building those muscles is important!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:40 PM   #18  
Sha

I know this is going to sound off, But A few years ago I lost right at 100 pounds. The first month I lost 4 pounds the next 4 months I lost 00000. but after that it just dropped off. I don't know why. But I will say what I learned Is don't give up.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #19  

I do get in my exercise I have a Precor elliptical and (TRY )for 40 min / 5 days /Wk
I am also doing winsor pilates and am going to start doing more with weights.
I just read the posting on water and it realy made sense so am going to really try to drink more.Its hard to get the low fat way of thinking out of my had.
DH started in December on Low cal/fat and is down like 35 pounds now. But he is exercising now and he used to eat lie a Pig so I guess youd have to lose then.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #20  
Head Princess

You sound like you're doing everything right. It will happen!

I LOVE Winsor Pilates!!!! I'm finally convincing dh to do the little 20 minute workout with me a few times a week. He's adorable! He can barely touch his knees

Thanks to pilates, I can (while keeping my legs totally straight) put my hands flat on the floor.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Sha, can I ask...I'm trying to picture myself losing 4 lbs the first month, and then not losing anything for the next 4 months....how in the world did you stay on atkins for 4 months of losing zilch???

Last year I tried Atkins induction for 2 weeks and lost nothing so decided it was just too hard for me to do if I wasn't gonna lose anything....but I'm thinking about giving it another go for at least a month to see if it will budge any of this weight.

Cathy
Old 02-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #22  
Sha

I was NOT on the low carb plan. A different one. But I still think if was a matter of remembering we did not put the weight on fast. I know it felt like it. ha ha.. Just remember your worth it. I don't kow if you ever lost the weight before. but I have and I just remember how it felt to go shopping and have thing fit. ha ha.. I also only weighed myself once a month. Maybe that made it a little easier. I did feel better. I did have more energy. So I hung on to that. But the day I had dropped 12 pounds made up for the months of not lossing anything.. Just remember your worth it..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #23  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Just a little insight from My perspective too...

I have been battling my weight since puberty.. And I have come to find that no matter what WOE you do... you will ALWAYS have weeks where you dont lose weight.

I know too that I have what my doctor has called a "Set-Point". THis is a spot where I sat at a constant range for a year or longer with out gaining or losing. I have one at 190 pounds... I have another (Where I am at right now) at 160-170. I was in this range for 10 years. It is a point where my body is comfortable and I have to work hard to break. I dont remember the last time I was below 160.. probably in Grammar School!!

The other thing to note is that when you start an exercise program... you may find that you stall out for a couple of week. The first reason for this is any muscle sorness you may have is caused by fluid retention in the muscles. Sounds weird, but once my doctor explained it to me it made sense. THe water is retained as a "soothing" element to the muscle. THe other reason is that although you are losing fat... you are gaining muscle when you exercise.. especially if you are doing any sort of resistance training. Muscle weighs more than fat! When I started atkins.. I started exercise in my 2nd month. For 2 weeks I didnt lose an ounce.. then the WHOOSH Fairy appeared and I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

And remember.. the more muscle you gain.. the faster the fat loss!

Hope that helps some of you!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #24  
Princess in Training

Average induction loss is 20% of the total you have to lose. You said you want to lose 30 lbs...5-6 pounds is right on track. I've heard MANY people stall right after induction (1-2 weeks) and then start losing again.

I'm right with ya in 3-4 week stall mode
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #25  
Baby Steps

I'll be happy at a steady 2 pounds a week. Oh, and you know the "you didn't put the weight on overnight" theory? I can testify to being a person that the weight just piled on week after week! It used to be terrible stepping on the scale or trying to put my clothes on! It got to the point I refused to buy jeans because I knew I'd just outgrow them. Thank God for Atkins and the possibility (saying possible because I don't want to jinx myself. lol) of actually being at the weight I want again!!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #26  

KarenW - thanks for the explanation about set point and exercising. I have always been a walker, but the day after Christmas I started strength training with handweights and an exercise ball, and haven't lost a thing, even inches. Sometimes it really helps to hear explanations about what is going on.

thanks,
cathy
Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #27  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Cathy - if you havent lost weight or inches since the day after christmas.. I really think you are at a stall! or a set point. Reread the atkins section on stalls, or email the support over at the Atkins center for help to break through! For me I know I have to shake things up quite a bit!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #28  

Hey KarenW, thanks for the reply.

I'm not doing Atkins yet. I have too much going on in my life right now to give it the full attention that I need to. I don't know why Atkins takes so much effort for me to do, but it does. But I hope to start it the end of the month.

And yes, I'm at a stall or a set point or something.....that is the story of my life.

I'm hoping Atkins will help me get some weight off for a change. we will see.

thanks,
cathy
Old 02-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #29  
B&BGRL

Default Weight Gain on Atkin's

I am a former gymnast, used to being around 100 lbs. Between stopping the sport and starting college, I put on about 50 lbs. very quickly. I lost 30 lbs. over the summer on a lo-cal diet and vigorous excercise plan. Nevertheless, the weight loss totally stalled out at about 114, probably due to a combination of decreased metabolism and the godawful DEPO-PROVERA shot. I decided that Atkin's was the solution, but I am starting to regret it. I have been in the induction phase for a little over two weeks and have been steadily gaining weight the whole time. I'm now up to 120 and starting to panic. I really want to give this a chance, but will the weight gain ever end and the loss begin? HELP!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #30  

StarPrincess my start weight was 293 and I will be happy to get under 200 but would love to keep going until I am at 170. I was weighed at curves after I posted and did lose six pounds for January so I guess I wasn't in a stall like I felt I was. I really am glad you all let us know about splenda as I have been using way too much! I stay away from most pre packaged low carb food. My weight will go up or down a pound or two for no reason but I am defintley slowing down maybe I will cut back on portion size. Have a nice day! Lori
Closed Thread