Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:57 PM   #1  

Default Atkins Bars

I'm sure some of you have tried the Atkins bars. Which ones were good? Which leads me to my second question. On the front of the bars it says 2g of net carbs. On the back the carbs are alot higher, and I know they subtract the fiber and something else, but would it be better to eat something that was just 2g of carbs( without subtracting fiber and the other thing?) I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Real
Old 01-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rcheeky. Don't believe everything that you read. Part of the problem with these bars (including Atkins) is the amount of sugar alcohols that are in it. Yes the net carbs do equal 2 but these bars are known for stalling your weight loss. I do on occasion buy them and usually eat them in thirds. They come in handy right around TOM when you need a little chocolate something. Try not to rely on them though...as the real problem is that they are not reccommended for induction and you are not really coming to terms with your sugar cravings. Okay some of the time, but not a good thing all of the time!! Read the boards for more on sugar alcohols. My friend StarPrincess is an expert on them, look for her post.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

I've eaten the Advantage bars---after reading online that they were allowed during induction. But I think it's one reason (among others) that I hadn't lost weight. Or maybe that was just my imagination. But I'm going to have to try and figure out a different way to get my chocolaholic fix.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #4  

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't buy them now!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #5  
Princess in Training

I promised myself when I started this that I would not eat any atkins junk food until I was pre-maintence and actually wanted to slow down weight loss to avoid eating rungs of stuff I was afraid of (like grains)
Old 01-30-2004, 12:21 PM   #6  
jhopp217

I am very concerened with the bars too. I just bought some, along with the chips (which sounds like they are much better than the bars) and I atea bar for breakfast. It says only count 3 grams of carbs, but the actualy carbs are more than I've been taking in daily. Now i'm worried that this will halt weight loss. I already stalled my weight loss after 6 days of eating 1/2 my usualcalroic intake, and I'm taking in less than 25 carbsa aday. I started at 280, and was down to 267 in 6 days, btu haven't lost weight in 4 days now. Any thoughts
Old 01-31-2004, 09:24 AM   #7  

In my humble opinion, the advantage bars are to be used for the occassional chocolate craving. I wouldn't recommend using them on a regular basis because they apparently do have a lot of hidden sugars in them. But as an occasional treat or craving they've got to be better than having that snicker/3 muskateer bar.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 PM   #8  
Head Princess

I completely agree with Angel-Eyes. Those sugar alcohols are sneaky little things. Before I became aware of them and how they really should be counted, I ate a sf candy bar at least 3 times a week and was completely stalled. Coming here and learning about them saved me

There's a sticky at the top of the Atkins board that contains a great article provided by our wonderful Leenie on the different sugar alcohols. I personally feel that there are better ways to deal with the cravings for sweets. First is understanding that we are in control of our bodies and not the other way around. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not (and you're still within the magical 6 hour time frame) then don't. If it's time to eat and you really want something sweet, try eating something fatty/salty instead. I can't tell you how many times bacon has stopped me from going over the edge.

If you must have sweet, sf jello is a good option. I've also taken to mixing 1/2 a packet of splenda with an ounce of softened cream cheese and eating it. It's just sweet enough to keep me happy and fatty enough to fill me up. I'm betting you could add unsweetened cocoa and a little extra splenda to make it 'chocolate'. I also stock up on Soy Slender chocolate sugar free soy milk. It's sweetened with splenda and only has 1 gram per 8 ounces. Makes great hot chocolate, too!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #9  
jhopp217

Default ATKINS Morning Start

I recently bought these bars as a snack choice. They're actually pretty good. They are called Apple Crisp although to be honest, I've never had an aplle taste like this, but they are sweet and fulfill and sweet cravings. Plus at 170 cals, 13 g of carbs, 6 of which are fiber, they're good if I have an early lunch and late dinner as a sub meal
Closed Thread