Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:37 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Question Supplements

Anyone using any or any opinions?

When I began Atkins, I stalled in my 2nd week. I just have a VERY hard time losing weight. I do great to rid the water weight but then it's slow at 1 lb week.

I re-read Dr. Atkins book and decided to try the CO-Q10, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Chromium Picolinate, and the Pro-Biotic Acidophilus. Since beginning these 3 supplements I have been still hovering at 1-2 lbs a week (one week was 3 and another week was 4). These supplements are NOT CHEAP! BUT - neither is buying clothes in bigger sizes consistely throughout your life - or paying medical bills for obesity related problems.

In Atkins book, the chapter on Candida speaks directly to me. At first I skipped it because I thought since I have never had a yeast infection it wouldn't pertain to me. WRONG! I have so many other symptoms on his list and the asthma and allergies to molds have only increased as I have grown older. I've eliminated all cheeses except mozzarella and cream cheese...and I am trying desperately to stay away from mixed nuts (very hard to do for me!).

Still not taking a daily vitamin - but the jar is sitting right here in front of me at work - UGH! Anyone else trying some of his supplement recommendations? Just wondering if I am in fact wasting my money. I'm afraid to stop now because I like to see a 2lb loss each week!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Wink was thinking about it....

Hi Kim. I was just thinking about all that today. I was at the dr.s office for my physical and needed some bloodwork done, so I had to fast last night. I've never had bloodwork done so I didn't want to start taking any supplements before the tests, but now think after reading your post...and re-reading Atkins that I should. I was at the drug store and was looking at L-glutamine. Do you remember if he reccomends that as well. I thought I read about it. Do you really find a big difference in how you feel besides the weight loss? I was also looking at his supplements....the Basic-3......the starter pkg.......and there's 2 more.(can't think of right now) And you are sooo right, they are expensive but if you feel better and see results then worth it.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #3  
Each Bite of Sugar...

I'm so bad about remembering to take them. I have lots of vitamins, etc. at home but never remember to take them....
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I have become very good at taking my vitamins....and other supplements 3 times per day. I found a great multi-vitamin at the health food store, close to the Atkins Basic 3...has many of the same things and dosages (I am in Canada so no Atkins vitamins available).

I am also supplementing in order to keep stable blood sugar and help with weight loss:

Upon awakening: potassium (100 mg) and calcium (650 mg)
multi vitamin - 1 , three times per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Chromium polynicotinate (used to take piccolinate, but heard bad things about it!) - 200 mcg (1 breakfast, 1 dinner)
CLA = 4000 mg daily (2 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner)
CoEnzyme Q10 - 100 mg (lunchtime)
Omega Plus 3-6-9 (dinnertime)

I have become a pill popper!

Froufy
Old 10-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #5  
soon to be goddess

Wink really?

Hi ya Froufy girl......are you kidding me? you take all of those? wow....I gag on my multi vitamin!! LOL I am looking into calcium supplements as on Atkins most dairy stuff is severely cut. It struck me odd when the dr. yesterday asked if my calcium intake was enough. I thought to myself....."what calcium?" but said yes at the time. I told her I was on Atkins but should have said something about the dairy.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

LADIES LADIES LADIES !!

TAKE YOUR VITAMINS PLEASE

This is so important that you do take them. Your body will only suffer in the long run w/out the proper nutrients. I can not say this enough, please take them !!

Everyone is different so you really need to customize your daily intake by what you think would be best.

I get soooo many leg cramps so I take 2,500 mg calcium/magnesium and I'm going to add potassium in soon because the one part of my leg still hurts.

I take:

2 daily multi vitamins (1 a day weight smart, but I'm going to switch to Centrum since my company make them and I get it for free )
2 1,000 mg vitamin C's
2 1,500 mg calcium/magnesium
1 1,000 mg vitamin E
2 - 4 Omega 3,6 Oils

One thing I fear is losing my hair.... or thinning hair and my bones, calcium is so important (for me b/c I don't eat alot of cheese).

Instead of making the scale and tape measure our obession, please make taking your vitamins an obsession.

LOVE MOM !

Last edited by Leens; 10-03-2003 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:13 PM   #7  
soon to be goddess

Talking okay I will.....

Thanks Mom!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #8  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

I take the following everyday:

1 Multi Vitamin
1 B-Complex (For mood swings and energy)
1000 mg of Calcium (osteo-porosus in my family)
Chromium Picolinate

I also take 1000 mg of Vitamin C 3 times a week. I used to take it daily but it upsets my stomach!!

Froufy - What bad things did you hear about Chrom-Pic?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 PM   #9  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Karen...I will have to do a search (on another website) and find the info for you. I think there was some bad press due to experimentation on guinea pigs or something.....to do with gene mutation and pre cancerous growths due to free radicals?? Some dispute the findings saying the dosages were very high and cannot be compared to human dosages. I felt that I did not want to take the chance so switched.

And what a hunt to find something as good! My research showed that the chromium polynicotinate was a good substitute...otherwise would take the GTF...readily available, but I don't think as good.

I think it's easier to find in the US...but I finally found something called "Blood Sugar" by Nature's Way, which has vitamin a and other stuff in it...but also 100 mg of chromium polynicotinate per capsule! My multi vitamin also has some chromium in it, so I only take one of the other pills per day...........sometimes an extra one if I feel I am having strong sugar cravings!

I will provide the info once I find it.

Okay here it is, check out: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthrea...ium+picolinate
or http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthrea...ium+picolinate or http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthrea...ium+picolinate and http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthrea...ium+picolinate and finally http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthrea...ium+picolinate

Froufy

Last edited by Froufy; 10-07-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:48 AM   #10  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Thanks froufy! I will have to take a closer look later at those links!

Does anyone know if Echinachia has an effect on Atkins? I am misserable and it has always helped me in the past!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #11  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

A new article today on Chromium Picolinate from the Atkins website. I will say that it has helped me tremendously with sugar cravings - but I only take 100 - 200 mcg daily.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/8/26-102406.html

I haven't tried the chromium polynicotinate - but I may after I finish this bottle of picolinate.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #12  
soon to be goddess

Talking another question....

Leens....You say that calcium/magnesium supplements have helped you with your leg cramps. Well I've been suffering with a heel spur and I get terrible heel muscle cramps and sharp shooting pains. Do you think that the supplement that you are taking might help with that? Next week is my followup dr. appt, I think I will also ask her.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a question does anyone use the Atkins supplements? I have been considering this but want to know if anyone has experience with these and how they like them.

Thank you

dinki
Old 10-12-2003, 02:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Default But Mom.......

I want to, but I don't know which to take. I take a multivitamin every day. I was taking the Vivativ (sp?) chocolate calcium supp before Atkins, but too many carbs now.
Is there one combo pill that has most of the stuff we need? I don't want to take 20 pills a day.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #15  
I'm a Jovi Girl

I was going to, but found that they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for my buget. I get all mine at Costco and with the compinations I take, I get the same amt of vitamins as the Atkins suppliments give!
Closed Thread