Old 11-12-2002, 12:19 PM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Question What supplements do you take? I'm looking for more energy!

I am so tierd as of late. I know that some of it has to do with the fact that my TOM is around the corner and also the allergy meds. that I take because of the dog....anyone want a dog.....anyway, I was thinking that maybe take some supplements is a good idea.

I'll admit that I really dont know what supplements that I should be taking. I can guess that the baciscs would be a multi-vit and calcium.

I'm really looking for something that would give me a boost of energy. I'm not interested in anything that has ephedra in it.

Could I maybe have a vit. deficiency and that's why I feel so tierd?

Please if you take a supplement that makes you feel good would you please tell me what it is. I need some of that!!!! all
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #2  

I am the supplement QUEEN. If you don't believe me, see my list below. I keep the Vitamin Shoppe in business!

Off the bat I would recommend that you look into a b-complex supplement in addition to the multi and calcium. When you low carb, you miss out on a lot of B's you would normally get from grains. Also, you might want to try drinking some barley grass juice. You buy the powder at the health food store and mix it with water. In addition to giving you more energy, barley grass helps to alkalize the body. When you eat a lot of protein, your body can become too acidic.

Here is what I take - no flames please!! Keep in mind I smoke cigarettes so some of these supplements are to combat those.

AM
Glass of barley grass juice
Evening Primrose Oil capsule
Vitamin C 1000 mg.
B Complex tablet
Folic Acid tablet
Astragalus (a Chinese herb to boost immunity)

Evening
Multivitamin tablet
Cal/Mag/Zinc tablet
Extra Magnesium tablet
Potassium tablet
Selenium tablet
Vitamin E (every other day)
Milk Thistle Capsule

All my bloodwork comes back excellent and I am rarely sick. The last time I had a cold was three years ago. I feel great and don't care how much I spend on these supplements, they work for me!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:41 PM   #3  

Hokey Smokey Tilly! And I thought I took too many pills! You got me beat hands down! I am trying to get pg so I take a maternity vitamin and potassium/magnesium caplets daily in amongst other drugs for disroders and such that I've got.
Pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:52 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

I'm not taking any supplements at the moment, but I will pull out my shopping list:

Magnesium
Potassium
Cal-Trate
Osteo-BiFlex

These are for what is usually missing in a low carb diet, and also trying to knock off osteoporosis at an early age. My sister has arthritis and my Mom is in first stages of Osteoporosis and I have stiff bones. I feel 20 years older than I am, so this will hopefully give me some more spring to my step.

I was taking Alpha Lipoic Acid for improved insulin response, but now I am on Glucophage and I need to check and see if I can take them both together before I start back on it.

I also take a multivitamin, and am exploring CoQ10
and Vitamin E supplements.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:59 PM   #5  
Domestic Goddess

Thanks you all for the responces. Anyone else care to tell me what you take.

I was telling DH that I feel tierd...he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I wonder why...look at everything you do in a day." I guess I never thought of it that way. But, still I know I need to be feeling better and will definately look into the above suggestions. I've always been interested in herbs. I take the kids to the library on Fridays. Maybe I'll look for a book that would be of use.

As an afterthought and not to be too graphic. I wonder if I have a problem with an iron deficiency. My TOM is awful ! I dont know why I didn't think of this in the first place....dumb blonde move for the day I guess

Blessings to all. ChrissyB
Old 11-12-2002, 07:39 PM   #6  

Well, I wasn't going to respond, because I take more than Tilly, but here goes. I use Andrew Lessman's, you get them from HSN either on line or from the tv. I like them because they are all powdered and are not hard to digest. They have no additives, no hidden sugars or starches, no colors or anything else. There are some in a liquid form and they are in special capsules that do not lose their potency like a regular gel cap can. They all come in a container that you can't see through as light can destroy some of the potency, the multivitamin, calcium and bone support comes in a special foil packet to protect them from light and air. They are not cheap. I feel so much better when I take them, it is just amazing. I never get an upset stomach from them. I have a variety of health problems, so I take a lot of different things

Mulitvitamin-there are 5 capsules in one daily packet
Calcium-3 capsules in a packet
Maximum bone support-7 capsules in a packet
Phosphatildy choline-2 capsules (supports liver and brain function)
Potassium-2 caps a day
Womens wellness-2 a day (soy supplement for my mid life crisis)
Healthy hair, skin and nails-2 caps a day, (I can't believe how much better my hair is and how much faster it grows since I started taking this)
Mental Effort-ginko, ginsing, etc, 2 a day (my brain is fried from life)
CoQ10-supports regeneration of all tissues, 1 a day
Fruitful Antioxidants-from real fruit since I eat so little of it, I figure I need this, 1 a day

There are a lot of added things in each one that I didn't mention because there is so much in them. If you want to check out what is in them and the price, you can look them up at HSN.com, look under Andrew lessman and then if you look at a product there is a place to click on that gives you a list of ingredients. Like I said, they are expensive, but I think their worth it. If all you took was the multivitamin, calcium, potassium and CoQ10, you'd be doing good. You don't have to take this brand of course, but look for ones that have no sugar or starch. You do need magnesium, but if your multivitamin already has it, don't take more. It is what is in milk of magnesia and you know what that leads to if you take enough. I'm sure you need extra iron, all women do until menopause.
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #7  
it's always something

I have:

CoQ10
fish oil
flaxseed oil
multivitamin
magnesium
calcium
red yeast rice
glucosamine
alpha lipoic acid

I think that's all. I just need to find one that's good for memory, because I can never remember to take them!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

The only thing I'm on right now is iron, and believe me, that is quite enough! I've had a very hard time with TOM every day since June, and when the hemoglobin drops, you feel like complete crap. Tired, cranky, no energy, short of breath, heart races. It doesn't have to drop really low for you to start feeling bad. Get the finger pricked at the doctor and find out, that sounds like a possibility. Good luck!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #9  
Slimwithin

I take a variety of supplements but not faithfully. Evening Primrose Oil, 3 per day. A multivitamin, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E, B complex, Vitamin C, Milk Thistle, Dandilion, Ground Flax Seed and Flax Seed Oil.
I don't want to scare you but the first sign that I was hypo-thyroid AND Type 2 Diabetic was total exhaustion. I mean, I'd get up, have breakfast and then barely have the energy to drag myself to the couch for a snooze. This would go on all day. I'd have brief spurts of energy but then I'd be overcome with paralizing weariness. It was darned scary. It took about 9 weeks for the thyroid meds to start making a difference but they certainly helped. The only time I get even close to that pooped anymore is if I've been on a lengthy carb bender.
LindaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:42 AM   #10  
Domestic Goddess

Thank you all so much! I have to have another physical in order to keep working for my nursing agency they require them yearly. My Dr. is an angel. I'm going to be asking her in advance to do a sugar check. I dont know if I should have a fasting one or the reg. one. I'll also be asking her about my iron levels. I'm sick of being tierd all the time. I dont sleep well at night and have odd and I do mean odd dreams. Not like someone else's that I've read, I'll mention no names, we all know who this is but let's just say they are stranger then usual.

I will check out the HSN web site and my mom and I were talking and she told me that she takes a supplement that she get's from QVC. I'm wondering if they are the same thing? She swears by them and says she feels alot better. I'll do my homework a little later when I have some more time. Until them thank you again ladies. I can always count on you!

Blessings to all, ChrissyB
Old 11-13-2002, 07:51 AM   #11  

Chrissy,
I use to take the ones from QVC, they are called Natures Code. There are around 6 different vitamins/supplements in a daily packet and cost about $16 a month, but you have to buy 3 months at a time, I think. It is a very good assortment of vitamins, calcium and minerals. I switched because they were not exactly what I was looking for. They are a lot less expensive, but to tell the truth, I didn't feel as good as I do on Andrew Lessmans. I can really tell the difference with these. Possibly, I didn't take them long enough. Whatever, do take something. Getting your blood sugar checked, thyroid and iron checked is a great idea. Ask about getting your cholesterol and triglycerides checked too. Glad your being "forced" to get a physical. It is something we should all do, but often don't because of one reason or another. I had one a few months ago and was very happy with my blood work.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:28 AM   #12  

I have a really hard time taking supplements because I always forget to take all that stuff ... plus I don't have the money to spend on some of these lists! Eeek!

One of my exercise instructors threw out the other day that she had started taking Geritol, of all things, and she felt great! So I went out and got a bottle and started taking one a day. Hasn't been that long so I really can't tell you if it has made that much of a difference ... I have found that my weight-lifting regimen has been the best thing to combat my tiredness.

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
MzPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Bumping this up to the top for new folks
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:25 PM   #14  

Umm, I Take One-A Day for women.. I feel like I am just not doing my share now
lost and spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 PM   #15  

L&S-
That's a good beginning. The reason I take so many different things, is for a variety of health reasons. The more you learn about nutrition and vitamins/supplements, the more you can decide what you need and want to take. Potassium and calcium are great to prevent leg cramps. Often on a low carb diet, you don't get enough of either one of these and this leads to leg cramps. I didn't think I needed to take extra, until one night I was awake all night with leg cramps. Besides, most women really need extra calcium anyway. There are different kinds of calcium and different brands. The best thing to do is to read, become informed and then make the best decision for you. Look for a calcium supplement that includes vitamin D.