Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #16  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I'm so sorry to read you're having such a difficult time, Arkansas Kel.

A hybrid plan sounds like a great idea for you.Do what you need to do, what makes you feel good It's the only way that we can succeed and stick to it.

I've read some recent posters writing about how they do low/zero carbs 5 days per week, have a 'regular day', and then IF until the next days dinner. There are lots of mixed plans out there
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Well, I think I've determined fatigue is a major issue for me, and possibly my downfall on many things. I've had this for awhile. So I'm making that my next goal instead of food, with one exception. This may not make sense to some. I've realized I know when I'm hungry without fail, but don't know when I'm full. Or maybe just never feel full enough to stop eating. So, I'm trying to pay attention to my actual hunger when I start to eat, and gauge what that might mean I should eat. I know the old eat until full theory, but that just doesn't work for me. I'll let u know. I can say my eating quantity was way down today. Breakfast: same old primal stuff. Lunch: Cafeteria "water" burger (burger they steam and keep hot in water) on bun (no sides like I usually would), pickles, cheese, a little ketchup. Supper I nibbled on black olives while cooking because I was HUNGRY. Then got it done, and was not as hungry so I ate a few bites pasta. And stopped. Maybe intuitive is a good direction for me.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #18  

Fatigue goal no 1 - get outside. I guess that's primal, just not culinary? We've just bought a piece of land in the country that needs lotsa work. We've decided we'll start going out each day for a bit to work on it. Primal? sure. We went out to walk around on it today to see where to start, so I've gotten in my sunshine already for today and a little exercise.

Foodwise I've been heavily primal with the exception of 6 tortilla chips, 1 piece of cake (wasn't worth it sadly), and about 1c macaroni. I wish I hadn't eaten the cake. I wasn't hungry and it wasn't good. Otherwise, my portions have shrank using the "how hungry am I" self talk.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Way to go Kel, you'll beat this I'm sure....

Life is boring here but stressful in different ways, it's weird, sorry it's just to complicated to talk about...

Today was primal except for maybe 6 wheat crackers that once I ate I thought "why, am I eating them?" so I stop, like you Kel intuitive? And knowing that grains and processed foods are just not good for us...

I'm also coming down with something but I went to the gym anyways tonight, I feel good about that

Later gang
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #20  

Didn't eat quite primal today, but still much healthier than I would have before I started down this path. Off plan - a bun, some breading, about a cup macaroni. Still less than most folks eat.

I've decided to start a food diary to look for food probs with my fatigue. Will start that tomorrow. You document what you ate, how you feel - mood, pain, energy... whatever you notice or think of. And look for trends. I think it will be interesting.

I'm also going to start having a SET bedtime. PERIOD. In a few days I'll tackle another mini goal. At some point this has got to give. I could take a nap now. Of course, I just started my staycation today. But a nap will interfere with my bedtime plan. phoo.

Ilene, looks like it's just you and me! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Aww... Kel and Ilene - sorry to hear you are both having stress - different kind but crappy nonetheless! HUGS!

I planned to start whole30 Wed after returning from mountains but have decided to finish up the HWC and parmesan cheese in fridge first. Makes sense to start Monday, so Monday it is.

Will write more later. Glad to be back!!!!

Hang in there everyone!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

And, Kel - I SO desperately need to work on the the bedtime/sleep/fatigue thing.

Shall we start a thread for sleep goals or just post here?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #23  

Hi, Arkansas Kel,

I know you can find something that works for you.

There is a diet out there where the only thing you have to do is have an 8 ounce glass of water 15 -30 minutes before each meal and snack. This causes people to feel full faster, and therefore they usually consume fewer calories. Another recommends drinking 3-5 cups of green tea each day. This works somewhat the same way but with the added benefit of green tea's fat burning power. These may help take the edge off your appetite a little.

I find eating enough protein and fat along with my carbs keeps my blood sugar steadier, which leads to fewer cravings.

In regard to feeling deprived when other people are eating differently, I know that feeling all too well. I am wheat intolerant, and thus shouldn't eat any of that stuff. But for awhile, that didn't stop me from having a little, even if I knew that I would probably regret it. I would hope that maybe my body would be able to tolerate it this time. But...that never happened. I've reached the point that "it is what it is". I have to eat differently, and I know I feel better for it.

I've found things that I can have that make me feel less deprived. Having these around, even if I don't have them all the time, make all the difference in the world. I've found some very decadent dark chocolate that I try to keep in the house. Other treats include Fage full fat yogurt with berries or Omega Swirls and a dab of whipped cream. Or Jay Robb's protein powder made into an ice cream.

Last edited by deetermined2; 04-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #24  

OK, PRIMAL ICECREAM???? Do tell? I need that this summer....

Fatigue? I think it deserves it's own forum. I went to bed at 10:07 last night, couldn't go to sleep - not sure why as that isn't my usual problem. Slept until 947. Feeling rested. ??? So I need about 11 1/2 hrs sleep? Surely not. I will search to see if anybody else has a fatigue chat going and get back to ya'll. I bet it is a widespread problem.

Today, didn't eat primal (at least so far) but am going to be physicall primal. We're going out to work on our little slice of country land - it's got lots junk and cleaning up to do. Will try to eat primal the rest of the day.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #25  

OK, I started a thread under dieting with obstacles. Seemed appropriate. I don't think I'm ready to give up primal completely yet, so I'm going to stick around and when I can find my gumption again, maybe do a crack down on my eating again. I believe in it, I just think I have more than a food problem.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #26  
Which round am I at now?

You can do it, Kel, whatever "it" ends up being. The sleep and fatigue work will make a huge difference in your life, I think. I eat mindlessly and rave sugar for energy when I'm tired. These days, I actually just get sick when I'm tired. (I really think it's the combo with biting of fingernails when anxious.) So, I have been sleeping a lot lately, trying to ward of sickness. I've not been getting much done 'round here.

Enjoy clearing the land! It must be so satisfying - both doing it, seeing it done, and enjoying it after

@Ilene, I noticed at my IGA grocery store that Schneider company has released a nitrite free bacon. The brand is named "country natural" or something. It's around $6 for 375g. It's the first I've ever seen.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #27  

Phooey. Didn't work on fatigue properly or diet properly today. Did shop my booty off with my couponing pal. Saved about 50% and brought in a load, 99% primal on the chow. If it ain't here I can't eat it easily right?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #28  
Which round am I at now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
If it ain't here I can't eat it easily right?
That's what I count on!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #29  

I've been 5 weeks paleo and I'm feeling terrific!! Visited my Rheumatologist on Friday and got the go ahead to titrate down on my last lupus med. I'm now on half the dose so I should be med free in a few months!! I have been in a flare for 3 years and in just 5 weeks this WOE has almost brought me back into remission. It's just so unbelievable to me that I wouldn't accept it, if it wasn't happening to me!!

Do whatever you have to do to make this WOE your WOL, after vegetarianism, veganism and everything in between, this is truely the most healing "diet" I've ever been on. So optimistic moving forward!!
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #30  

Default Beautiful!

paleoforlupus: WOWZERS!! That GROKS!!! I'm all about lifestyle changes over medication. I AM impressed with that. Congrats TO YOU!

Me, so far so good today. Eggs, ham, apple, coffee down. Didn't do much to help my fatigue efforts. It seems as soon as I set a goal, within minutes of my declaration the karma starts to work against it. But not giving up. I'm continuing in my primal tilt, and my pursuit of defeating this nearly constant fatigue. I'm on it.

Last edited by Arkansas Kel; 04-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.