Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #31  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

By the way CJ, I just turned 64... Can't get much older than that.

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64." ~ Beatles

This was my son's wedding post processional, he's divorced now .
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

Re: Carb loading : I've read that carb loading is when you eat lots of carbs -- or course -- in a day, but a low to no fat day and only clean carbs...

So I consider my weekends that are carb loaded, but loaded with junky and fat loaded carbs, not real carb loading per se.... Just a thought, what do you all think?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #33  
Last Timer

I re-read Mark's post on MDA and he does not recommend carb re-feeds for overweight folks but for those just trying to lose those last few pounds. So I think I will wait. I know the last ten will be torture and might not even be possible. Don't want to use up all my advanced strategies...

I also haven't started the heavy lifting, sprinting (are you kidding) and other Primal fitness stuff. Just long slow distance and now biking.

You know when you get older, you really don't feel older. You look in the mirror and wonder who in the **** is that old lady. So first time out on my bike (which has brakes on the handlebars) I ran into the recycle bin out in the street. The last bike (50 years ago) I road you peddled backwards to stop lol. My DH laughed and I swore at him. I think the neighbors were all at work.

Last edited by sparky1946; 10-06-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post

You know when you get older, you really don't feel older. You look in the mirror and wonder who in the **** is that old lady. So first time out on my bike (which has brakes on the handlebars) I ran into the recycle bin out in the street. The last bike (50 years ago) I road you peddled backwards to stop lol. My DH laughed and I swore at him. I think the neighbors were all at work.
LOL!!! I remember those kind of bikes! Hope you didn't hurt yourself! But yeah...I think we all feel that way. We don't feel our age and wonder how we are supposed to feel. I know I don't feel or act 43. Definitely not 20 something but not 40 something either.

Will be busy for another couple of weeks so will be sparse. I am the secretary for the PTAG and we are doing 2 major fundraisers...which will net us about $15-17 000. Lots of work for lots of $$. Helps our school immensely and it shows in the students test scores.

Have a great day/weekend/week!
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #35  

Default Sprinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I also haven't started the heavy lifting, sprinting (are you kidding) and other Primal fitness stuff. Just long slow distance and now biking.

Sandy, sprinting could mean something as simple as 3 (or 6 ) cycles of running full out on a treadmill for 30 seconds then resting till you get your breath back. Or riding your bike full out for 30 seconds then going at a lower pace til you get your breath back. I'll be starting with sprinting in a few weeks, probably at 30-60 seconds. I'm told that our bodies adapt to the demand and that ability to go to more time or more intensity develops quickly. I'll let you know.

Last time I was on a bike, it was with a more athletic friend who wanted to ride trails. I was on her old 10-speed racing-style bike. Between the bike, the trails and my poor biking, I took a major spill. At least, my middle-school nephews thought the bruises and scrapes on my torso were cool.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My bike is a pedal backwards to brake one. Seriously! Can't have things too complicated for me.

Once in a blue moon I do sorta sprints on the elliptical. I go like mad for the first 20 seconds of a minute then repeat. After a few rounds like that, I just finish out my 20 or 30 minutes at a slow steady pace.

We went out for DH's 50th last night. Pork chops, french fries, beer and cheesecake. I haven't reacted nearly as badly as I did to the donuts the other day.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Hello, everyone!

Bike riding is one of the activities that my husband and I like to do. We actually own road bikes (and the stretchy clothing required) and I have to say I sometimes feel a little silly because we are just cruising down the bike trail and being passed all the time by "bike gangs".

Every now and then we'll do a "sprint" on the bikes and it's really fun. We're in OK but not great shape, so we go as long as we can, which isn't very long. I also get in sprints on occasion when walking around the neighborhood. I will run just as fast as I can for as long as I can. Again, it's not real long. I'll do two or three of those. Sprinting is so much more fun than jogging, I think.

I need to work on the lifting heavy things aspect of primal fitness. I used to lift weights and I enjoyed it, but am having a hard time getting started.

Re carb-loading: For me, being pre-diabetic and a bit freaky about it right now, I would have to be real careful with any carb-loading. Yeah, I want to lose weight, but my ultimate objective is to be healthy and not get full-blown diabetes. If I have to stay a bit pudgy, so be it. But I do think (hope) that I will eventually lose this excess weight just by getting my eating under control. I've lost about half of what I would like to lose in total just by reducing grains. Alternatively, once my blood glucose is under control, then I will focus on losing weight.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #38  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi all! I'm new to this group, but not to 3FC. I am not sure how much of a regular I will be become, but I will say that I tend to be all or nothing on something.

Here's a little background about me:

I've always been overweight, ever since I was a kid, but it didn't get totally out of control until high school. Over the course of a couple years I ballooned from 180 to 240, and gained steadily until a few years ago when I decided that something had to be done or I was going to die an early death.

I managed to lose about 35-40lbs although I believe now my efforts were misguided. I severely restricted calories and exercised like a manaiac. Yeah, the weight melted off, but likely at the expense of my muscles and sanity. As soon as I stopped, the weight piled back on and doubled. I have never yo-yo'd before (or much less tried to diet), and decided that if each of my weight loss efforts resulted in gaining even more weight than I would going to be 400lbs before I knew it. Something had to be done.

So I tried a new strategy -- still calorie restriction and exercise, but not as severe. It works, but I easily got off track. I started this in November last year, and have lost and maintained 30lbs. Not bad, but for someone my size, I should be losing more. After I had lost about 20lbs, my husband found some information about grains that I suppose have changed my life. I never really thought of carbs as that unhealthy, I mean, I've heard of Atkins and such, but I always believed that in moderation, everything is OK. Once I cut out things like corn, potatos, and some bread/pasta/rice, I lost another 8-10lbs... but then the breads/pastas/rice caught up with me. Potatos and corn were easy, but the others? Not so much. Everything I eat is based on those three things. Obviously this is going to take a little more effort.

Then I found the Primal Blueprint... and so far, so good. I'm only a few days in and have already lost about 4lbs... and hopefully not muscle! And really, the concept is so stinkin' simple, I can't believe it. I actually feel like once I can get off this carb-dependence this is actually going to be --- dare I say it --- easy???? The hardest part for me is eating socially, or accepting food people present to me. Cooking and preparing for myself? A cinch.

We'll see how I feel a month from now... but really, I feel positive!

Last edited by rakel; 10-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #39  

Welcome Rakel!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #40  
Ilene the Bean

Rakel!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Hi all!

I feel the need to give a quick introduction as I would like to become a regular on the paleo-thread!

I've always been a calorie counter and usually ended up eating a relatively moderate/sometimes high carb diet. I struggle with my weight loss and I'm think it's because of WHAT I'm eating, not how many calories I'm eating. My original goal was to just cut out most processed foods and start cooking more, I've been doing mostly well with that approach the past month but I want to look even more closely at what I'm eating.

I just started the P90X program and although I've decided not to strictly follow the diet I did read through the nutritional guide and basically what it promotes is a low carb, high protein diet with lots of veggies, lower amounts of fruit and a good dose of healthy fats. From what I've gathered online about the paleo-type diet the P90X diet is pretty similar.

So I'm making a go at this. My biggest challenge will be bread, which I love. Beans are also very high on my list of challenges because I love them so. Rice, pasta and sugar will be pretty easy on me because I don't particularly like rice or pasta and I've always been very aware of my sugar intake rarely eating any sweets and diligently shopping for foods without any added sugars (do you know how hard it is to find a plain tomato sauce without any added sweeteners? sheesh!). I simply don't have a sweet tooth so I guess I have that going for me!

As I've read through more and more sites that are about the paleo diet I find myself sitting here nodding and thinking "this just makes logical sense!" I think I can follow this and I think I can enjoy it.

I look forward to getting to know everyone that frequents these threads and I'm open to any and all tips, bits of advice or words of encouragement!

Last edited by Bombe; 10-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #42  

Welcome Bombe!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ham in the crockpot!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Bombe and Rakel!

We need some fresh meat around here !

The best tip I can give for getting on PB is to stay away from ALL sugar and grains and beans and processed foods for at least 2 weeks......dont even try to take one bite of something breaded--or even fried at a restaurant. IF you can get you system clean you will stop craving that piece of toast or those potatoes, etc! But a couple bites of ice cream, or a breaded chicken breast can throw me into a tail spin of cravings!

So stick to meats, veg and fruits....makes grocery shopping easy. Make sure you are getting plenty of fats--that keeps you full. Dont think you need to limit your veggies, it takes alot veggies to get to 50 carbs even!

About tomato sauce: go to the Hispanic section of your grocery store. they have several tomato sauces that will be without sugar. Plus they are often much cheaper! If you have a Hispanic grocery store you will also find much better prices on produce there too
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Bombe! Hi Rakel! I'm so glad you're here.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #45  
Last Timer

Default Welcome Bombe and Rakel!

Loss two more pounds after fasting. My plateau seems to be moving. But I know there is another one on the horizon. I gotta be strong...

I have been tracking my fasting blood sugar each morning and it is a little high but not over 100. So I will definitely be asking a lot of questions at the next doctor visit.

Have been taking care of grandkiddies a lot and can see my anxiety rising. I am a solitary type of person who gets anxious when there is a bunch of activity and noise. I love the kids so much but they do exhaust me mentally as well as physically. I tend to want to eat more as well. I am up to 52 carbs today and it is 2:15 pm.

Sigh