3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   LC Chat: Lolitas Chattin' it up! March 31-April 6th! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/138434-lc-chat-lolitas-chattin-up-march-31-april-6th.html)

petra65 04-04-2008 08:15 PM

SIC-the moving company should be honest with you about the situation with the one-armed mover. That's just plain silly. I appreciate them trying to hire disabled people but they have to find a nice compromise when they are charging by the hour.

Tammy ate her dinner so I'm not freaking over one meal yet.
Kobe sleeps with me everynight too. He can be like dead weight in bed. He kind of grunts when I try to move him. I've been working on their obedience training and I noticed today that when I get him to sit, he consistently farts. It's kind of funny. Right now he's getting a time out in his crate because he was getting wound up for no reason.

I was never into Buffy the Vampire slayer but I was trekkie. I guess it was a different era. Am I showing my age?

aud 04-04-2008 09:17 PM

So both nasus AND scalmie have Fartin' Dogs named Danny?:o

& kobe is going on Letterman w/ petra?:D

Confession to lynnar: I DID run over Ginger . . . she lived & does not stop in front of the bike anymore.:^:

One armed movers who work by the hour?:?:

Nice gig if you can get it, eh?:cool:

stayincalm 04-04-2008 10:03 PM

Well, to be fair to the one armed guy, I stopped myself from having a fit and said deep inside, "Hhhhmmmmm...maybe he is THAT good (i.e maybe the one arm thing makes not much difference). Of course, I was wrong. I didn't want to make the one armed guy feel bad though so I kept my mouth shut.

I'm glad Tammy ate. Aud you silly willy. I just saw the name Danny but wasn't sure that it was about a dog. Then I wrote about my dog that farts, posted it and went, "Oh feck. What if Danny is like someone's husband or son or something?" By then it was too late but luckily Danny does appear to be a dog. I will state here and now though that DH is guilty of farting to beat the band as well. No shame.

OK I have porterhouse steaks coming out from under the broiler with grilled onions and portebellos (sauted in butter first) and fresh sliced tomato topped with fresh mozzerlla and sprayed with that wishbone balsamic spritzer, sprinkled with grated parmasen and a little garlic salt. Spring of fresh basil...well doesn't that simply have to remain unsaid?

ox
SC

SherryA 04-04-2008 11:46 PM

Have you guys seen this video? This is amazing. http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...rom=im_default

you have to watch it all the way through though.

broadabroad 04-05-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Girl, it's like we're cut from the same cloth I'm a geek and proud! I do play D&D and have played Vampire: The Masquerade (which is the one I think you're talking about--it's either Masquerade or Dark Ages, or some such). I also LARP (Live Action Role Playing), where you create a character like in D&D...but you go to a camp with a bunch of others and you embody your character for a weekend. Think Renaissance Faire meets Improv! Your character gains skills, life points, etc. the more often you play.
Superb! I am All About The Envy! (The RPG I'm going along to tomorrow is 'World of Darkness', which my dear friend Jilli [aka The Lady of The Manners, over at Gothic Charm School] tells me is based on Vampire: The Maskerade. She used to be v. involved in that. (I adore Jilli - she's a real inspiration. She dresses in full on Victorian/Steampunk/CupcakeGoth mode 24/7 - think corsets, bloomers, top hat, crinolines et al. At work (at Microsoft). At home. At the beach. She's pretty much Queen of the Goths - there's even a cartoon character based on her over at Dork Tower (geek website) called 'Gilly the Perky Goth'. Also, she's not a skinny lass. Stunning, and certainly far more slender than me, but she's had weight issues. She's lost A LOT of weight over the past few years. Mad props to her. I often ask myself: What would Jilli do? And the answer is invariably both brave and courteous. Jilli is one of the many wonderful souls I know through a happy combination of Buffy and the Internet. Bless her.)

Aud, S'calm - Firefly is Joss Whedon's tragically short-lived SciFi show. I think the idiots who commissioned it had a fuzzy sense that Buffy was pretty much the same as Charmed and Sabrina the Teenage Witch (It REALLY isn't), and that he would present them with something cheesy and perky in space, with lots of explosions and blockbuster appeal.

Instead of which he presented them with a fabulously layered and thought-provoking piece of television, in which the world is not divided into Good Guys and Bad Guys, and our heroes do not always win. In fact the first scene of the first episode starts out with Our Hero discovering that his side (he's a soldier, at that point) has just been defeated.

It's a lot more like book SciFi tends to be than anything else I've seen on telly - a real blend of Hi Tech and Low Tech, taking the whole 'cowboys in space' idea that underpins things like Star Trek but really going with it, so there's dirt under the fingernails and rough edges and all that.

The executives absolutely crapped themselves as soon as they saw the first episode, even before it aired - they'd clearly been expecting something mindless and swashbuckling and cheerful, and instead they got something complex and clever and morally ambiguous. Since this was in the days before the wild success of Battlestar Galactica (indeed, many of the techies from Firefly went on to work on BSG), the Fox execs didn't know what to do with the show, made no attempt to promote it, screwed up the viewing order so that the episodes didn't make proper sense, and just generally strangled it before it had the chance to get off the ground. Idiots.

If you liked Han Solo and his battered old Millenium Falcon, then you may well like Mal Reynolds (aka Captain Tightpants) and his fabulous crew, who are basically just trying to keep themselves free and employed going from one dodgy deal to the next. I love Every Single Character - they're all just FABULOUS, and I want to hug them and squeeze them and call them George. (...possibly whilst licking chocolate pudding from their extremities. Especially Simon.)

After the show was cancelled, Joss managed to get the backing to make a movie - 'Serenity'. And it's AWESOME. And it broke my heart into tiny pieces.

Okay, enough geeking out.

I was actually planning on blowing my own trumpet over having successfully dragged my Extremely Nervous And EXTREMELY fat arse out to a Dance Studio peopled wholly by Size 2 chicks, to go to a Belly Dancing Class. In a room with mirrors on every wall. Gah. I very nearly ran away, I must admit - I had to give myself a stern talking-to, and remind myself that my mate E. is stuck in a wheelchair and CANNOT do stuff like this. Whereas I am physically capable of it - it's just scary and embarrassing. But it's doable. And one shouldn't just run away from things because they're embarrassing.

Anyway, yes - Bloody Well Done Me! And the class itself was fine, and I was really not bad at it, and the instructor was not scary! Yay! And in fact I think I may well go do some of their other classes too!

...my other thing to report is slightly more of a confession, though. I have just eaten 2 scoops of sugar-free icecream (1 scoop of coffee, 1 scoop of chocolate). But I figured - hey, it's sugar free! I missed lunch! I have been to a belly dancing class! Life is for living!

So, yeah. And I'm glad I ate it. It was quite nice, but not fabulous - which is v. good, because I know it's available if I'm horribly tempted by sexy icecreams (we've got a plethora of Haagen Dazs, Swensons, Baskin & Robbins etc etc), and because they have 5 flavours, and because it's NOT super delicious. It's nice, but - increasingly I'm realising that the impact that chocolate and cake and icecream and all that have always had on me is a CHEMICAL impact. It ISN'T just a case of flavours and textures being great - it's actually the sensation of my blood sugar spiking, and the associated rush, that I've always thought was a sensual/epicurean pleasure. Nope. It's my metabolism freaking out. I might as well have been snorting coke or something!

Anyway, despite being unrepentant, I still feel a bit naughty. Um. Because in theory I'm trying to stick to Atkins Induction most of the time. Um. But on the other hand - this isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle, and I'm staying the **** away from bread and spuds and rice (even though I love love love sushi, and ate dinner in a Japanese place tonight) and noodles and pasta and all that. When I stray from the path of Atkins Induction Foods, I'm still making good choices. I figure that's okay.

(...course, if I'm not down to 212 by Monday, I'll be weeping and wailing and gnashing my teeth and rending my hair, and you all will have to say to me: 'But Fay - you drank alcohol on Thursday night! You ate icecream on Saturday!')

petra65 04-05-2008 09:32 AM

I like the painting elephant. They are much smarter than we realize.

I have to work today. I cooked myself a good breakfast-ricotta pancakes. We're having a terrible thunderstorm which has been going on for hours. I've been hoping it's going to end before going to work.

Azure 04-05-2008 12:26 PM

Good afternoon, ladies! Just an update. I'm feeling pretty fantastic physically these days now that my hip's not killing me anymore. I had pretty lofty plans for the gym last week that didn't really get to pan out. My hip was bothering me a little bit last Monday, but I went to the gym to lift, anyway. It got progressively worse through the week and I tried a yoga class on Thursday. The yoga hurt at some points, but the next day my hip was feeling better...and today it's hardly hurting at all. :) So, hopefully next week will be more physically exerting.

Good news is I've consistently been in Ketosis now for over a week solid, the bad news is I was wrong about being able to add back in peanut butter! It hasn't kicked me out of ketosis, but I'm having trouble with portion control. I eat it out of the jar with a measuring spoon, to try and curb the urge to over eat it...but it's not working! So, once this jar is gone, I won't be buying PB again for awhile. I may be in ketosis still, but PB is high in calories and if I'm eating too many calories...I'm still not going to drop weight!

So...I'm not really expecting a huge loss this week. But I'm glad that I've managed to stay in ketosis and not maw on anything off plan. I had a HUGE urge to grab junk food on Thursday night, but resisted. So, that's a plus!

And a Podcast Update!:

I've started toying with recording things and coming up with what I'm going to talk about on the first episode. The plans are:
- Discuss 3 low carb diet approaches: Atkins, South Beach and The Zone in order to show how varied LC plans can be in terms of "how low do you go". :) I'll talk about the stages of the plans, ketosis, net carbs vs total carbs and all that jazz. Whatcha think?

broadabroad 04-05-2008 01:38 PM

Sounds fantastic! I'm very excited about this podcast business! Go Team!

Azure 04-05-2008 02:05 PM

Oh! And I've decided to call it the "Low Carb Lolita" Podcast--inspired by these chat threads at 3FC :D

KrisR 04-05-2008 03:48 PM

I love your idea Azure....can't wait to listen to you!

Fay-good job on the belly dancing class. It can be so hard to overcome our negative self-talk.

SC-I'm salivating over your dinner menu....think it's time for me to make brekkie!

Am chuckling about the one armed mover....:)

nasus40 04-05-2008 05:41 PM

HHMM i have not been feeling well this last 2 days kind of sick but not really. slightly stuffy in the head and sore throat but no sinus stuff. I do not get it. I have resorted to drinking soda to get th bubbles to help my throat and that is not working either. I have been stying OP easily as I do not really feel like eating

MMM had a great dinner adn well 3 lbs of meat is almost gone and I did not eat that much of it. I did have piles of brussels cooked with butter with garlic. and roasted pork ... boy was that good.

I am going to a "toy" party tonight. I can't wait. I had one here once what a great time. I never knew they made such things!! far more for my imagination, but I can learn!!!! I hope they have some good snacks., I am under cal at this time. I do not want to resort to nibbling to get up to cal intake.

stayincalm 04-05-2008 05:43 PM

Whew. Just returned from the weekly shopping with banners waving. I went to Savemart today and oh my goodness. They simply were THROWING free things at me. Yay me!!! They gave away fresh strawberries, one of those big 24 bottle racks of water, bean and beef burritos (which obviously went into the back freezer), a liter of diet coke (which I don't really enjoy but DH and DD do). It was the feel good grocery experience of the year.

Tonights menu will consist of pork roast, mashed rutabagas and fresh green beans. I picked up some 2 carb protein powder to give the shake thing a whirl but I envision a clean the blender war around here. Hey! I had to have something to go with all those fresh strawberries. Alas, I tried the greek yogurt thing but it didn't agree with me so I will try a protien shake with a few strawberries thrown in. The doggies just feasted on leftover roast from earlier in the week . They are lying here looking up at me in a complete stupor. I guess left over roast is the equivalent of a trip to the doggie opium den for them.

Well now that I have shopped, cleaned out the friggie (including the dreaded wiping down and removal of undefinable crusty items as well as disposal of some fruit/or/veggie that qualifies for carbon dating), DD9 wants to make some "High School Musical Chocolate Chip Cookies". Once again, bless the "you only have one thing going for you" elves that I don't like sweets.

TTFM

SC

petra65 04-05-2008 07:37 PM

The on call gods have been good to me today. I only had one admission. She was very manic and pretty much yelled at me the entire time I was trying to interview her but that was my major "work" for today. Otherwise, just follow-up patients. I spent an hour walking/training dogs today. Tammy heels so well, I could almost walk her off leash but she still does not do well with the sitting on command thing. I'm completely baffled by this. Today we even had another off leash dog come up and sniff her and she didn't get frazzled so she is doing great if only I could get her to do the sit and down thing on command. I also bought a bunch of plants at Lowe's today including a bunch of herbs for my garden.

I'm a little on carbs again today. Will post on the other thread for that.

RubyJan 04-06-2008 04:48 PM

Hello -- I just found my way here after listening to Azure terrific podcast a while ago. I am on the Atkins threads but there is a lot of 'pop' on this one -- I just read it through, and recognised some names from the Atkins chat.
Azure -- I didn't know you just graduated in English! That's great -- I teach 18th and 19th c English lit here in London. Have you thought aout doing an MA in English now? You have a great grade point average - I bet you could get a fellowship at a good grad school. But I guess you must have already decided to go for a more exciting life.
Anyway, if its okay with you guys, I'd like to tag along on this thread, too. Just finished Day 4. I am amazed I have done it for four days already!
RubyJan

stayincalm 04-06-2008 05:13 PM

The More The Merrier!

:welcome:

Sooooo Happy to have you join the LC Chat Ruby Jan. Congratulations on finishing day 14! I hope you enjoy our wacky (and somewhat informal) little group. You can kinda breeze in and breeze out when the mood suits. I think its really fun to hear little tidbits of everyone's lives along with the various programs they follow rather than just about what they eat and what their exercise program is like. Makes for many very amusing posts to read!

Petra: I hope your rotation for weekend oncall comes to an end soon!
Azzie: I listened to the podcast! Great job. I really enjoyed it.

So I have some things to do today but just can't seem to get a round to them. Namely, I need to dye my horrendous grey roots :(and clean out my closet. The walk in can no longer be walked into so to speak. However, I read Jemima J this morning and have a new Kellerman calling to me and therefore have no motiviation for things other than reading. :book2:I did manage to clean the kitchen and the master bedroom and also go to Lowes to look at some new kitchen cabinets but....just wanna cuddle up and muck about here. Doing one of my periodic ultra clean weekends (raw veggies as opposed to steamed, no soy milk in coffee, no splenda, double water).

Hope everyone had a relaxng weekend. I look forward to a new weekly chat starting tomorrow.

OX
SC