Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #61  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

BB~ When I get stys, I always rub my gold wedding ring on it. Sometimes 5-6x a day. I havent a clue why it works, but Ive been doing this since I was a little kid. My mom used to give me her ring to rub on my eye. So as soon as I start to feel one coming on, I start to rubbing. Give it a try, it certainly wont hurt.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #62  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

If I haven't said it - WTG on the -6 poundaroonies lynn! Just awesome!

I was a severe Diet Coke addict too lynn & jen - can't even remember when I gave it up . . . but when I drink them now - CANNOT believe how I ever got them down - just make me feel so yucky & bloated. I made the switch by going to iced tea (cannot give up caffeine - coffee or tea) . . . now I'm on 1/2 brewed iced tea and 1/2 brewed green tea - delish and keep the jug handy. The whole anti-oxidant mindset really helped me make the switch PLUS no bloat or yuck feeling but still has the caffeine kick, ya know?
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #63  
aud
lc lifestyle

Trying to break up my Posts so it's not one loooong a$$ ramble . . . never heard the gold wedding ring cure for beachie's sty, robin! My Mom suffered with recurring sty's for years - she would have tried anything - they can be so annoying and painful - hope you're better soon GF! Those creams can be such a mess, I know.

And robin . . . WTG at the networking! Your Posts are soooo helping me daily to get my strength and/or determination and/or self discipline and/or focus on! Tx!

Cafeteria at my work is the pits too jg69 . . . esp. if you have had your fill of yucky pre-made salads or from the processed roll of hard boiled eggs - BLLLLEEECCHHH! LC works best for me if I planplanplan and bring stuff from home.

Wish your son really would have shot the pit bull lily . . . and I know that sounds harsh but its just really for the best. I know a 16 yr old girl who is STILL having facial/reconstructive plastic surgery from a dog attack when she was 3 - when an animal has gone bad or has been MADE to be mad - sometimes the "old time country" remedies are the best, I think. Your workouts are AWESOME GF . . . I've GOT to get back to them and to the Y/gym - tx for the inspiration . . . . BUT . . .

LOL . . . . . . thinking that today I'm going on laura's inspiration and having me some BEER but w/o the POTATOES!!!

The PlayOffs are calling and haven't seen my other Bro (that has the tavern in the country) since Christmas Day (briefly) . . . convinced myself that's what I need to do so ttyal! Have a Great Weekend Gals!

And DIE SEAHAWKS DIE!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #64  
Lovin' Life

Thanks Aud!! If you havent already, go to my blog. I post alot more there, than I do here. I hope you find it just as positive.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #65  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Aud, so sorry to hear what happened to your brother. When I had my superinfection, I was in a smaller hospital. The Dr.'s were completely dumbfounded as to why I wasn't responding to tons of IV antibiotics. They had even asked my DH to make me a DNR. Very scary indeed to know that I came severely close to dying. I understand how badly it affected your brothers health. I think it affected every single organ in my body. It took me at least a full yr. to recover. For quite a while there I looked 20 yrs. older than I am. I even had family pic's made after I got out of the hospital so my kids would have a pic to remember me by. After my experience, I am definitely a germophobe now. Another good reason that mentally I could not handle working as a nurse again. My Dr. even told DH that he could take me home so my family could spend time with me "cause I know she isn't going to make it through this".

Aud, also, I think it's just a short matter of time before my DS or DH do shoot that dog. Even now, they still are not keeping it contained and they've had fair warning! The bad thing is last night I had a nightmare that they retaliated and shot Molly. I woke up unbelievably upset.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 203/160.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Wow Aud......that time frame is really creepy because that's about the same time frame my brother came down with it. He had his surgery for an embolism in his lung about a week before Memorial Day in 2004. They put a stent in. He was all ready to be released from the hospital the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend when he came down with the infection and was basically in a comatose state until early July. I remember it was July because his birthday is July 16th and we were able to bring him up a small piece of birthday cake for his birthday. He still wasn't himself but he was able to talk to us and everything in little spurts. He, like your brother, stayed in the hospital for another couple months and then went into rehab himself before he was able to go home. My SIL had to learn how to give him his injections of vancomycin and all that other kinds of stuff before they would send him home. Anyway, the reason why I have so much Faith is because when he finally did make it home.....he came down the shore to where myself, my sister, and our Mom lives for his annual birthday dinner of Surf & Turf. Of course, he was too sick on his birthday to do this so I think it might have been November by the time he made it down here. Anyway......while we were in the restaurant I had asked him if he remembered any of us visiting him while he was in the hospital for all those months. My SIL (God Bless her heart) was at the hospital everyday and us siblings would take turns going up different days of the week. His response to me was he didn't remember us being up there but one thing he remembered clear as a bell was seeing our Father who had already passed away. He remembered going up to him and saying 'wait a minute...aren't you dead?' and he said the only thing Daddy said to him was "GO HOME, SON"!! I almost balled my eyes out when he told me that story. In fact, I still get teary-eyed whenever I talk about it but that.....my dear....instilled my Faith there is someone waiting for you on the other side. Unfortunately, less than a month after that he had passed away but I think it was God's way of giving him another month or so to be with his family which I'm grateful for.

So.......to all you germophobes.......by all means continue to be one because this infection is not something to play with.

Lily......I'm so glad to hear you've recovered. It must have been very scary at the time for you and your family.

Well......time for this chick-a-dee to jump in the shower and get ready for work. You all have a wonderful on-plan low carb weekend.

TTYS

Patty
Ptrcmcc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #67  

Wow. That superbug IS terrifying. My brother is quadriplegic and seemed to always get bedsores when he was in the nursing home. We were always grateful when he got moved to hospital for treatment, because we knew he would get better care there. I guess that was quite a risk too!

Aud, do you sweeten the iced tea with Splenda or anything? I've never been a fan of tea, but know that all this diet Coke is not good for me. I still drink an "occasional" coffee, but try to stay away from it because my drink of choice is a triple grande cinnamon latte which isn't even close to lo-carb.

Had a little scare myself. Had my physical and complained about chest "tightness" and some dizzy spells. Myself, I chalked it up to anxiety and stress, because work is REALLY crazy right now. Doctor did an EKG (just to be sure) and then while I was waiting to get blood taken, came in and said "There was a change in your EKG, so I scheduled a [DR BABBLE]. By the way...here's a prescription for nitro pills. If you have another episode, put one underneath your tonge and see if it helps." Then walked away. HELLO!!! Scared the crap out of me!!!

Had the diagnostic test and treadmill. Treadmill was fine, although (SURPRISE!!) I need to get more excersize. Just waiting to get the pictures back from the other portion of the test, but the cardio doc who did the treadmill said it's over 75% likely that if HE didn't find anything, there isn't anything to find. Not too worried now.
jen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #68  

Wow Jen......I pray everything turns out alright for you.

Patty
Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #69  

Oh.....just one more thing, Jen. I'm not a doctor, nurse, or anything but until you get your results back from your tests....you should probably try to stay away from anything that has caffeine in it. I know when my "ex" had a heart attack 4 years ago.....the doctors told him he should stay away from caffeine.

Last edited by Ptrcmcc6; 01-13-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #70  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Jen, that sounds scary! I hope your tests come out fine.

I had my official WI this morning. I'm down 2 more lbs, so a total of 4 lbs. since Jan 1st when I got back on low-carb and started busting my butt at the gym. I had hoped for a great big whoosh, but I'm happy to see that the scale is moving in the right direction instead of that slow upward trend that I had been seeing. Now I'll stay completely off the scale til next Sunday and (dare I dream it) hope for another 2 lb. loss this next week which would put me back at goal!

Patty, thanks. I wasn't too awfully aware of how sick I was at that time, thankfully. Like someone else mentioned above, I don't remember much of it. I was so sick that I didn't recall my visitors and although I worked at the hospital I couldn't even tell who was taking care of me. It's all just a big blur. My family said I sat around , dozing off constantly, for 6 months after I came home and didnt even recognize them most of the time!

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-13-2008 at 07:24 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #71  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

The pain from the sty is gone,but keeping the anti-biotic cream in my eyes is making it blurry.

Starting Monday I signed up for a Valentine and Lental challenge on another board,I have too get my self back to the 150 again.

LILY-I went to my health food store and he told me about potassium in a packet that you mix with water,measuring 1 liter.He told me to take 8 oz glass per day and that would bring my electrolytes up.He told me not be be afraid to take potassium as most people are electrolyte deficient,and it such a small amount that i would be taking. Hope it works,as most of my menus are low carbs.Thanks for the well wishes. I'm so sorry to hear about your SD Shelbey's poison ivy.Yikes and in the eye area.That not good,hope they will give her something to take the itching away.

ROBIN-I never heard about a gold ring would take away the sty. Interesting to learn a a friend of mine mentioned the same thing but using the gold wedding ring to make a sing of the cross over the sty take it away also. Next time I take my wedding band out of my jewelery box and try it. I can't wear my w/r because my fingers are too stubby after gaining so much weight.

AUD-The creams are working,but this morning I had to drive to church and I could put it in my eye,but its in now and its very hard to type on the computer. Don't think I need the eye doctor as it clearing nicely. Hope so anyway as we're gong to have a very bad storm tomorrow.

Have to stop reading the rest of the post as my eye is straining trying to read them.

Well come back later

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #72  
Lovin' Life

its on old wives tale, but it works every time for me. Id take it out of your jewellery box now and after you wash your face, rub it on your eye, then put your cream on it.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #73  

Wow......I've never had a sty but i'll have to remember this thread should I ever get one. I will have to get married first though.....

BB - Glad to hear at least the pain is gone. I've heard they can be very painful. Keep the cream on and hopefully you'll be all better in no time.....

Patty
Old 01-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Yummy Sweet Treat:

I monkeyed around with this until it worked. It was worth it:

1 package sugar free jello cheesecake pudding;
Instead of using two cups of cold skimmed milk use 3/4 cup unsweetened (cold) soy milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
I add more splenda to my pudding to make it sweeter.
I put individual servings into cupcake baking cups, grate a little sugar free chocolate (dark or milk) on top and chill.

These can be served with a little whipped cream or, if you like pumpkin, a little cooked, splenda sweetened pumpkin.

Works for me!
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #75  
aud
lc lifestyle

New Week of Chat: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...59#post1997459